Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, first off i want to say this forum is awesome, i have gathered so much info and have owned 2 gen 1 crv's. My current one has almost 300k miles and still running like a champ.

This past week i noticed a large leak coming from the water pump area. I ordered parts and had the new waterpump installed by sunday. Everything went smooth, I am mechanically inclined so the job wasn't very difficult just time consuming. I went ahead and replaced the timing belt, tensioner, and water pump all at the same time. Now I'm very near positive that I have my timing dead on. Marks lined up and it idles and runs just fine (I've put roughly 100 miles on it since the job).

The problem is that there is a new noise and it only occurs under load at around 2-3k rpm. It sounds as though it's valve tap but it very well could be a loose accessory belt or something of that sort. Is it possible that my motor would still run and perform perfectly yet be out of time enough to cause this ticking noise (detonation?). I wouldn't think so, but wanted to see if anybody else has had an issue being out of time but still running just fine. Since the ticking doesn't happen while revving the engine in neutral, it only happens while accelerating rather quickly. If i slowly accelerate i can't get the noise to occur, however if i push the gas down i can cause it to happen and make it get louder and louder until i hit about 3k and the noise disappears.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I set the timing belt per the manual specs and as mentioned marks line up and it looks to be in time. One thing i did not do was set the valve lash, i assumed since i did not have valve issues before that this problem would not just happen out of nowhere. Thanks again fellas!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well that's great news since the exhaust recently broke after the header before the cat. I used the old faithful bailing wire to hold it in. luckily it's quiet and doesn't sound like it's leaking but i'm certain it's not air tight lol. it's giong to the muffler shop for a quick weld in a week i will follow up. The sound was not there however prior to the work done and the exhaust was mended prior to any of this so it's just confusing me as to why it's happening now but didn't happen previously.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts