Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I both have 1998 V's. Her's has 210,000 miles on it and mine has 230,000 miles. They both have never had any serious major work and both purr like a kitten.

The reason for the title of my thread is we see 1st gen., (1996-1999), V's everywhere. Ratty looking or clean, they're everywhere. In our little town here of 2,000, there are five 1st gen. V's, NOT counting ours! We went across country last year in my wife's V and saw dozens and dozens of 1st gen V's everywhere we went.

A friend of mine sold his 1999 a few months ago with almost 400,000 miles on it and the only semi-major work was a valve job at 275,000 miles. The mechanic here in town says you just can't kill these things.

It just seems like with so many 1st generations still on the road, Honda sure got it right, right out the door with these first CR-V's.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess we're biased but I totally agree.

I also love that you can see way up the road above most traffic unlike the newer V's that are now low slung like most vehicles today and they get a good view of the bumper ahead of them. :)

·
Registered
892 Posts
I've had a first gen and currently have a second gen. I honestly like my first gen a little more than the newer one. If they had put the 2.4l engine in the first gen body, it would have been stellar.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Have had/own: '97, '05, '14 & '18.

Enjoyed the '97 very much. Sad when the picnic table went away in Gen. 3.

We enjoy our '18 though I do admit that the Gen. 1 looks the best.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I like my gen 2 better than the gen 1. I like the bit more curves to the body design. But gen 3 5o me is butt ugly. The grill design will keep me from ever having one.

I'm not a fan of the newer ones either. Lost what a CRV is. Instead their a minivan replacement with all the goofy features and useless garbage to create more distractions and problems. Do like the style of the body though. When we finally replace her odyssey I may stick her in one. Me I'll probably hunt down another gen 2 in nice shape or get a pilot (and have my gen 2 just as my commuting vehicle).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
We have a 1st gen and two 3rd gen CR-V. Have to say I like the 3rd gen more than the 1st gen (and I've owned that '97 since it was new, back when there was a 12 week waiting list here to get one). Acceleration is anemic at best (deadly at worst--try passing anyone in that turd), the A/C was always lacking (it can barely keep the interior cool even on a full charge--this was right when R134a was a new refrigerant), seats are not as comfortable, the interior much louder...I could go on, but why bother? The 3rd gen is just better in every way possible. I'm thankful for the nearly 290k miles I've put on it, but my stubbornness to upgrade was IMHO short-sighted. Should have done this years ago.

Having said that, I'll probably be driving a used 2nd gen RDX or 3rd gen MDX when I upgrade from my '09 CR-V. :)

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I have a 4th generation (2016) and my son-in-law has a 1st generation that I drive occasionally when he borrows my truck. I live in the mountains and the 1st generation is horribly slow and sluggish in the mountains. You wonder sometimes if it is going to make it over the steep hills. I look forwards to getting back in my 2016 that climbs the mountains without losing speed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well this brings up my current issue.
My wife loves her 2000 V-SE. We've had it since '03 it now has 177xxx on it. Excellent condition but needs a head job
.. runs ok as is. Never has presented a problem.
She'd like better acceleration...perhaps a 6 but doesn't want a larger vehicle such as Pilot or Highlander.
So I'm betwixt and between. Wondering if freshening up the motor would deliver the added performance it's lost over the years and make it acceptable once again.
Long and short...undertake a "restoration" of the V we have or seek out a Gen 2. That would be have +- 130,000 on it based on what I see available locally and cost +- $6000.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.