Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I have stumped my mechanics. My only hope is to find someone who may have dealt with a similar issue. I have noticed a ticking noise coming from the front end while driving. The noise does not show itself while idling or revving while stationary, only after driving while the motor is warm. It gets louder when I am turning, especially while turning to the left. The best way I can describe the noise is that it sounds like a freewheeling bicycle but mechanical, deeper and louder in pitch. I am at a loss and have adjusted the valves just 2 days ago fyi. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Failing C.V. Axle joint. Find another mechanic-(Not to be a jerk, but when you have to take your car to be fixed by someone else you are venerable to how honest or stupid they are. If the mechanic in question can't diagnose a simple clicking noise -which dying axle shafts are notorious for making, and simple to verify- then this person is either clueless or doesn't want to bother with you or your car; Either way they are both red flags.)

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Failing C.V. Axle joint. Find another mechanic-(Not to be a jerk, but when you have to take your car to be fixed by someone else you are venerable to how honest or stupid they are. If the mechanic in question can't diagnose a simple clicking noise -which dying axle shafts are notorious for making, and simple to verify- then this person is either clueless or doesn't want to bother with you or your car; Either way they are both red flags.)
Sounds extremely likely as the source.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Could also be rust buildup on the front rotors or crap caught behind the backing plate. First thing I would do is stick my hand around behind the front wheel and pull back on the backing plate and see if anything falls out. Second thing I would do is pull the rotors off and scrape any big pieces of rust off.

Though CV axles have a distinctive clicking noise and that could be what you are trying to say.

·
Registered
71 Posts
this is normal behavior for worn cv axle joints. if the right side is worn it will click when making a left turn when accelerating in the turn, and left side clicks when accelerating on a right turn. Typically you get no clicking when accelerating in a straight line. you can also try and turn the cv axle shaft by hand with the car parked, if you get any rotational play it means the joint is worn. lateral movement is normal in the cv joint.

It it is the joint than there is no harm it driving it until it gets so bad it is annoying and you change it. In really worn joints you will get a rhythmic thumping or pulsing through the steering wheel when accelerating in a corner. when my toyota cv axles started clicking I wanted to see how much longer I could drive it before it fails, I went over a year of hard driving on it, it never failed but got so annoying I had to change out the axle, I got bad thumping feed back through the steering wheel.

good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all so much for your input. Would the cv joints fluctuate with rpm's though? That's what doesn't make sense to me. I just realized I left this out of my op. Oops.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The frequency of the noise will correlate to wheel RPM, not directly to engine RPM. How fast you are traveling will affect the noise, not how many RPM the tach reads.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I drive three miles of gravel roads to get in and out of our rural home site, so picking up rocks in the tread (especially with new tires) is not unusual. Usually a run at free way speeds throws them loose.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, I mean the noise actually DOES change with engine rpm. Sorry for the confusion. It isn't rocks or anything like that either. The noise only presents itself when the engine is warm and above 1500 rpm.(but only while moving)

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
CV's are the most likely suspect at this point.

Key is 'only when moving'.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts