Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I had my CRV stolen and put on blocks, but thankfully when it was found they only took wheels and battery... so I"m gonna be back rolling soon. Since it's AWD and I do a lot of canoe trips and some rough roads with some off road... I was wondering how significant would the reduced engine performance be to upgrade from 16" to 17" inch rims and get a little higher sidewall tires? Negligible or am I gonna have reduced horsepower passing on the highway?

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
fyi your CRV is not AWD. Its 4wd so before doing any offroad type anything, very aware of that. The front tires have to be spinning faster than rear is before rears start to engage and they will automatically disengage as soon as the front tires regain grip.

That said, rim size doesnt matter. Something everyone needs to learn. Going up and inch or 2 does nothing. Literally NOTHING except for looks. Lighter weight alloy wheels in the next size bigger with tires that are smaller (so outside diameter matches oem) can improve mileage and performance

Bigger rims are actually VERY BAD for off the pavement use when your trying to keep in a specific tire diameter. Means less sidewall and no clearance gains at all. Does nothing.

If you want more ground clearance and better handing on what you plan DO NOT CHANGE RIMS. Buy a bit bigger tires.

How big depends on 2 things. How much room you have before you start rubbing and how much performance / mpg your willing to sacrifice. The bigger you go the worse it is.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Makes sense. Thanks for transmission correction! I got this car used just a couple weeks before it got stolen, so not as well versed as probably everyone on else on this forum. Appreciated. I won't do anything other than get in and out of river access points with it.

My thinking was that for every inch of overall tire/wheel diameter, the ground clearance has to come up 0.5 inches, half the wheel/tire diameter increase. Which was why I was thinking of increasing rim AND tire size, but might get into rubbing and affect performance. Makes sense to avoid larger rim in favor of more sidewall/air cushion between the metal and the ground. Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
892 Posts
Bigger tires, especially if they are heavier all terrain tires will have a very noticeable effect on fuel mileage. Just putting the OE size General Grabber AT2 on mine swiped about 4 mpg just because the tires are a few pounds heavier and I’m sure the rolling resistance went up a little too. Just something to keep in mind if you are worried about fuel economy. If it isn’t a problem for you, then smash whatever will fit in there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Bdub. That's a pretty big mpg drop. I typically get into sketchier terrain than I"m outfitted for and so going bigger would be very nice. but that's a pretty big hit in efficiency and dropping a few horses to boot. Did you have those Grabber AT2's on a stock 16" 225/75? No rubbing?

·
Registered
892 Posts
Yeah, they make them in the stock tire size that came on them. No issues with anything. I didnt like the drop in mileage either. But I dont like getting stuck either.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.