Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
I've been looking for a Gen 2 for a little while now and was wondering if anyone has or knows where I can find a list of common issues to look for when shopping? Are there any Gen 2 specific problems to keep an eye out for?

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,482 Posts
Documentation (records) of maintenance is ALWAYS important. ATF, rear diff fluid, brake fluid. Its amazing how people think that oil changes are all they need.

Takata airbag and drivers window switch recalls.

Front suspension trailing arm bushings are starting to fail.

Early Gen2s had A/C compressor issues. They were not always correctly repaired.

Reactions: Helodrvr1

·
Registered
16 Posts
Bring a mechanic to inspect the car to make sure that:

the fluids are clean
no oil leaks
no weird engine hesitations
check the compliance bushings and motor mounts. At 100,000+ miles the rubber starts to crack
valve adjustment

common gen 2 problems:
AC
check that the power windows work
^power locks
driver door open switch may be broken due to the door closing on the seatbelt

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I wouldn't overthink it too much. There is nothing that isn't issues that appear on any other vehicle thats pushing 20 yrs old.

Little cracks in control arm bushings and such are nothing to worry about. It's big ones that will need repaired (I can't believe all those that see one little surface crack in a rubber bushing and say it needs replaced when in fact it's got another few years at least before it fails)

Minor oil leakage is completely normal on a vehicle this old.

If you want one in perfect condition your going to pay a large premium for it. If you want one that's actually been driven and a good deal, don't panic over the little stuff.

As said have a mechanic look it over is your best course of action. But remember dealerships wash the engines and such so best to have things looked over by a good mechanic. Beyond that all you need to worry about is no odd noises, runs poorly, clean fluids and such as said.

If it's got between 150 and 200k or more miles if they can't tell you if the timing chain has been changed then don't pay good money/just walk away.

Less you pay the more things you will need to take care of on your end after purchase.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts