Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to change a standard radio for an original sat nav unit? Is the wiring plugs present behind the dash for the sat nav unit. Also are there updates available for an original sat nav unit. Thanks

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
4,044 Posts
You'll be far better off (financially and functionally) with an after market unit from places like Crutchfield: https://www.crutchfield.com

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
And while I understand the interest in an in-dash nav system, I prefer a Gamin portable unit. :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Really want to keep the car original. Just bought the car and it's in outstanding condition being owned by and elderly gent from new. Heard there are a lot of issues with the original sat nav units? Found a couple on eBay but they will need updated. Are the wiring plugs there behind the dash ?

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Oem nav units always suck. And installing aftermarket doesnt require modifying the vehicle at all, they have adapter kits for that specific reason.

And no the base model does not have everything for the navigation unit I dont believe. Those systems are not contained just in the head unit. There are other modules required that will not be in the vehicle.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Really want to keep the car original. Just bought the car and it's in outstanding condition being owned by and elderly gent from new. Heard there are a lot of issues with the original sat nav units? Found a couple on eBay but they will need updated. Are the wiring plugs there behind the dash ?
I guess I'm being a little dense, but I don't remember there being a factory navigation system in 2002-2006 for CR-Vs.

And I don't find any on eBay.

Do you have a link?

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
The US models they dont exist till 2007. Think UK may have gotten them in 2005.

Didnt think about that, if its a US model it isnt happening at all, they dont have anything to be compatible with the unit.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
The only way to know is to pull the head unit but the satellite system definitely will NOT work, no module. Nav there is no way of knowing if the GPS module is part of the radio or a separate module. If its separate then no that wont work either.

Honda uses a modular wiring system. Meaning that wiring for many accessories or not part of the wiring harness, its a separate harness segment between the accessories or switch and main power/control distribution.

Pull your head unit and look to see what plugged in and look at those listings for a picture of the rear of the nav style head unit. If the plugs dont match your out of luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts