Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Owner of 2007 EX for about two years. Purchased with 90,000 miles on it and now has 127,000, so I drive a lot for my work. I truly love my CR-V, but I have been frustrated with a few confounding issues. I am really grateful for this forum where other CR-V owners can share their experience in similar problems and can help to solve (complex) puzzles.

My latest challenges are an electrical bug in the system (passenger airbag system light turns on and off, map reading lights alternate on and off, sometimes the seat belt warning sounds even when belt is clicked in holster, sometimes the windshield wipers CONTINUE to wipe even when in OFF position, sometimes when wipers in delayed mode will wipe three to four times a cycle instead of the normal once per cycle, and sometimes wipers stop in the middle of the windshield instead of at the base of the window).
Further, a "parasitic drain" on the battery just forced me to purchase a new one ($147 for the basic model), and lastly, a shudder/hefty vibration in the steering wheel as the brake is applied when driving on the highway (slowing down from a high speed--between 70-80 mph).

So, I've read several possible answers to the parasitic drain and the steering wheel shudder. I will need to investigate further the other "ghostly" issues. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!! One more advice-seeking question: what brand of tires are best for LOW ROAD NOISE AND GOOD SNOW TRACTION, yet don't have a hefty price tag?

Thank you all for your time.
Maureen ("Kirklives")

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
So you have had the steering wheel 'shutter' for two years and not figured out?
The battery drain possibly can be related to the electrical issues.
Are you in the rust belt? Is car from the rust belt? Winter rodents a problem?

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Perhaps you need a new dilithium crystal? My '07, at 94k, has never had any of these issues. Except the battery, twice. I am now doing the Group 24F battery upgrade, at the third interval. The electrical issues could be due to any number of things, like a weak relay or fuse, a weak or corroded ground, a loose pin or pins in a harness connector, an alternator issue, and some other things. Since many of the glitches you mention have to do with wiring that runs through your steering column and dash, there could be something going on in the harnesses there. It may take some serious diagnostics by a really good electrical tech to track that down. High speed steering shudder is usually either tires, a wheel bearing, or brake issue, such as a warped rotor. Or a bent or loose wheel. Or it could be a shudder caused by failure to change transmission fluid, or it could also be the torque converter. You really need to locate a good, honest, real mechanic for all this. Due to my location, I can't really help you with any snow issues.

Good luck. Let us know how this all goes. And live long and prosper.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So you have had the steering wheel 'shutter' for two years and not figured out?
The battery drain possibly can be related to the electrical issues.
Are you in the rust belt? Is car from the rust belt? Winter rodents a problem?
Yes, 2 years on shuttering, but it's not EVERY time I depress the brakes. Also, when I would get oil change and rotate tires, the shutter would result from one set of tires yet not the other set. I've had the brakes checked by several mechanics and they found NOTHING wrong, I've had one mechanic tell me it's a tie rod on front passenger that's "going" bad, and another mechanic says I need to replace tires. So, it's not like I've been ignoring it!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Yes, 2 years on shuttering, but it's not EVERY time I depress the brakes. Also, when I would get oil change and rotate tires, the shutter would result from one set of tires yet not the other set. I've had the brakes checked by several mechanics and they found NOTHING wrong, I've had one mechanic tell me it's a tie rod on front passenger that's "going" bad, and another mechanic says I need to replace tires. So, it's not like I've been ignoring it!
Wasn’t insinuating that, just long time trying to find the issue. Saw the post from 2018. Hopefully some help this time around for you

·
Registered
2008 Honda CR-V EX-L FWD
99 Posts
a shudder/hefty vibration in the steering wheel as the brake is applied when driving on the highway (slowing down from a high speed--between 70-80 mph).
Have you by chances got your car alignment check to ensure all 4 wheels are within spec? If one of the front wheels are WAY out of spec, chances are they can cause a shudder vibration when braking or normal driving. I recommend jack up your car on jack stand, all 4 corners, go and rock each wheel back and forth, both hands at the following positions: 12 & 6, 9 & 3, 10 & 4, 1 & 7. if there any play, chances are you have a bad wheel bearing. Check your rims for any damages as well, as those can cause vibration. Hope this help.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
I would check the obvious first--make certain the lug nuts are torqued by hand to 85-90 lb/ft. Too many shops slap them on with an impact way too tight, and that warps the rotors. It's worth a look. If the damage is already done, time for new rotors, and proper lug nut torque. Troubleshoot from there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you by chances got your car alignment check to ensure all 4 wheels are within spec? If one of the front wheels are WAY out of spec, chances are they can cause a shudder vibration when braking or normal driving. I recommend jack up your car on jack stand, all 4 corners, go and rock each wheel back and forth, both hands at the following positions: 12 & 6, 9 & 3, 10 & 4, 1 & 7. if there any play, chances are you have a bad wheel bearing. Check your rims for any damages as well, as those can cause vibration. Hope this help.
Thanks for info. As soon as I check out all suggestions, I'll let you know what I find!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome to the forum! Perhaps you need a new dilithium crystal? My '07, at 94k, has never had any of these issues. Except the battery, twice. I am now doing the Group 24F battery upgrade, at the third interval. The electrical issues could be due to any number of things, like a weak relay or fuse, a weak or corroded ground, a loose pin or pins in a harness connector, an alternator issue, and some other things. Since many of the glitches you mention have to do with wiring that runs through your steering column and dash, there could be something going on in the harnesses there. It may take some serious diagnostics by a really good electrical tech to track that down. High speed steering shudder is usually either tires, a wheel bearing, or brake issue, such as a warped rotor. Or a bent or loose wheel. Or it could be a shudder caused by failure to change transmission fluid, or it could also be the torque converter. You really need to locate a good, honest, real mechanic for all this. Due to my location, I can't really help you with any snow issues.

Good luck. Let us know how this all goes. And live long and prosper.
I wish it would be as easy as just replacing the dilithium crystals!! Alas, I see I have my work cut out for me--could use a good engineer like Scotty! Let's see, so I've written down everything you suggested and will let you know. I hope my search doesn't take too long nor too costly or I'll be setting my coordinates to boldly go where no man has gone before, screaming, "Energize!"
Signing off from the bridge of the Enterprise (1701)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts