Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that Honda specifies different service intervals for various maintenance items in different parts of the world. I suspect that part of the reasoning is different environments and typical operating habits, but I've also read comments that some items such as oil changes and possibly valve adjustments may be modified in order to reduce consumer expenditures, rather than what I would think is actually 'best' for the mechanical needs of the vehicle. Additionally, the transition to variable MM reminders over printed set intervals can also complicate things as I have suspected that over time some MM subcode items can get deferred until the next oil change comes up, and with the extended OCI by use of synthetic oil that can add up.

So with the exception of oil changes (that is certainly influenced by many factors not to mention personal beliefs), what are "real life" service intervals for items such as:

Auto Transmission: every 30k miles?

Rear Diff: every 30k miles?

Coolant: every 100k miles?

Plugs: every 100k miles?

Valve Adj: every 110k miles (this seems long to me)

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I would perform maintenance items as I believe they are needed and only use the MM as a safety reminder net.
I opt to change the Coolant and Plugs in the 50,000 - 60,000 miles.
Synthetic fluids is a definite yes!

Depending upon our past experiences each of us have programed into our head ideas about these things. If main. items are done sooner than the MM then we are just wasting some money. The main thing is to take good care of our vehicles. The MM reminders are a good thing that will help us do just that.

·
Registered
776 Posts
SO much depends on driving styles as well as the type of driving one does that it's almost impossible to set a hard and fast standard !! Where I live in the country, after leaving the end of my 1000' driveway, I can go 50 instantly !! The closest town is about 5-6 miles so my wear and tear on the car is totally different from a guy who leaves his garage in the city and stops and starts his way to work maybe 5-6 miles away !! JMO. C

·
Everything in Moderation
7,615 Posts
Tom, I think your list is very complete, except BRAKE FLUID should be flushed every three years regardless of mileage..

If you drive less than "normal" I would add MONTHS to your MILEAGE intervals, since most maintenance has a TIME requirement as well as MILEAGE.

So,

Auto Transmission: every 30k miles or 30 months (2 1/2 years)

Coolant every ~8 years

I checked my valve clearances at 55 and 110K miles. The first time the exhausts were a little tight but the second time everything was with a thousandth of the spec.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked my valve clearances at 55 and 110K miles. The first time the exhausts were a little tight but the second time everything was with a thousandth of the spec.
Out of the list, this is the item that really bothered me... Just curious what led you to checking the valves at 55k? The CRV was our first vehicle with a "smart" MM, so it was dealer serviced by the MM through it's first 6 years until I inherited it from my wife when we got a new Pilot. Now I'm doing the servicing, but as I say I think the subcodes have got a bit out of whack by being associated with an oil change interval before the MM triggers.

Anyway, thanks for the input - it's good food for thought.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,615 Posts
Out of the list, this is the item that really bothered me... Just curious what led you to checking the valves at 55k?
Just being anal. (It's what I DO.) :eek:

On our '90 Accord the spec for valve adjustment was every 6 MONTHS or 6K miles. Gen 1 CR-Vs needed adjusting every 30K miles (but Honda said 100K). So I figured I would check 'em.

OTOH, our '07 Fit really NEEDS it's valves adjusted periodically. Several tight exhaust valves at 60K miles, and more at 120K miles when I checked them again.

++++++++++++

The thing to remember is that the SMART aspect of the MM only pertains to oil life. All the other actions are keyed to Honda's mileage recommendations.

I have seen no evidence that an MM mileage schedule has ever been adjusted by the MM when (for example) heavy stop & go use is indicated. (Many hours but few miles) Hopefully this will change...For example, if a Nav or Wifi-equipped car (with access to date/time) sensed that a year had passed, it would indicate an oil change and other maintenance. But, I bet this will be coming in the next 10 years...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi TomKatt,

Different persons have different views relating to vehicle maintenance. I was also following the similar mode in relation to my vehicle. Whenever there was requirement I used to get that part changed from my mechanic. Once while I was driving my vehicle it get suddenly stopped on the way. I tried to start it, but it was not started. There was no mechanic nearby. I called my personal mechanic, but he was not able to detect the problem, therefore I have to get toed my vehicle up to my house . I asked my friend from where should I get it repaired, he provided me the reference of :-

https://www.showcasehonda.com/service/index.htm
https://www.yourmechanic.com/cars/Honda

I asked them about the estimate of the repair and the repair was done. They only done the service or the vehicle. That is why it is very necessary to get the vehicle serviced at regular intervals.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts