Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok just double checking to make sure there is a gen 3 issue I'm missing. We all know about the rattle noise. Everything else seems to fall in line with gen 2 when they get high miles (aka my 2003) which isnt much.

I ask because we are shopping now, going to buy one in the next few weeks. For my wife. I feel guilty buying her a gen 2/2.5 especially when she's not a huge fan of mine since it rides like a brick. Have had all gens come through the shop, mostly just maintenance. Gen 3 is a fair bit more comfortable than gen 2.

Earlier gen 3 is also the newest with around 150k or less in the price range I'm willing to spend. For some reason CRVs are a bit over priced here (dealerships are trying to sell LX above book value for EX), so may venture out of the area if I have to.

To me gen 3 body is UGLY AS SIN. Like my gen 2 body style better. But wife isnt so picky in that regard.

But trying to make sure there isnt anything specific to gen 3 that could be a large hassle that I dont know about before bringing one home

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
3,560 Posts
Agreed on the UGLY! Also no manual trans. But you should be able to still find a relatively clean low mileage Gen 3 easier than with the Gen 2. I'd stay within the '07-'09 range and avoid the 2010-2011's and their possible piston ring/oil consumption issues. The original owner of my '07 had leaky struts at 65k, but that was it. I had to get the A/C recharged, and went to the 24F battery, plus one door lock actuator, and worn armrests, but otherwise no issues at 93k. I will need rear hatch struts soon, and will be going with new TPMS sensors with the next tire change. Keep us posted.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,775 Posts
Agreed on the UGLY!
Just remember "Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder'. :giggle:

@Tigris99 , your wife will think she is 'special' if you buy her a car newer than yours.🧡

+++++++
Regards problem areas, all I can think of is A/C compressor clutch wear and door actuators. @Wildcat has two '09s so I've mentioned him.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok had to update. We brought a new vehicle home, but being our requirements I cheated slightly, didn't go full traitor, just needed bigger than a CRV (not enough available seating)

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
3,560 Posts
Pilot? Wow, it looks much larger than a CR-V. I've never looked at one. Nice.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She had a 2007 odyssey. But it was dinged up when we got it then seemed to be a magnet for getting dinged since we got it. Plus, though previous owner very well maintained it, it had a rough life. So I put a lot of money in suspension repairs, the damn sliding doors were always a headache.

I really wanted to put her in a V then after we buy a house, get me a pilot (keep my V as well) for the weekend stuff. But 2 Vs right now wasnt going to work since we take the kids friends with us on day trips to swim and such.

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
3,560 Posts
I looked at Pilots, but one would only work for me without that third row seating. And, fold-flat second row seats .I don't need 'em, I'd rather have the cargo space.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts