Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious what other drivers have installed on their Gen 4 CRVs. My first upgrade was changing out the stock crappy headlights to LEDs. I'm using a set from a company called Beam Tec I got them off Amazon for $38! They are 50% brighter than stock and they are also plug-and-play compatible. I did wrap the connector with electrical tape as well as the rubber boot that goes on the back of the headlights has to be turned inside out in order to cover the heat sink on the back of these light. I am currently looking at upgrading the single small armrest on the driver side to either A. a larger one or B. some type of a modification to the center console that includes a large armrest. What say you?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently purchased my 2016 CRV EX-L (24,000 miles) and my upgrades so for are LED headlight bulbs, weathertech mats all around, line x undercoating. (I live in Ohio) Remote start and the auto hatch are features that I would have liked to come with it.

The price difference with the Touring seemed too high for me and would have put me out of my budget.

I've seen the Tesla styled touch screen headunits that look pretty interesting. My next upgrade will be sound deadening in the doors and hatch as well as speakers next year.

Want to have fun but not void my warranty, ha!

Any pics of your armrest modification ideas?

·
Premium Member
2012 Honda CRV EXL Nav AWD
77 Posts
On my 2012. I put the 2017 crv Touring wheels with 235/50/18 Michelin Premier LTX tires. Lowered it in BC Coilovers, SPC rear camber arms, and painted all the chrome trim gloss black, along with full LED conversion all around.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
The three things I would like to have are panorama roof like I had in my Gen3, push button start/keyless entry like I have in my Toyota and power liftgate like I have in my... nothing. None of these are going to happen so I'm good.

Perhaps a block/cabin heater, like I had in my Gen3.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Wife's 2014 CRV:
  • Replaced factory front halogen head light bulbs with LEDs.
  • Installed custom wiring to allow front factory FOG lights (for short range lighting) to be ON on with High Beam.
  • Raised suspension 1.5". No more entry / exit pain on my older age back. smiles.
  • Installed extra rear marker / clearance lights under its rear bumper.

This worked for me and IMO, should have been factory build...

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Installed custom wiring to allow front factory FOG lights (for short range lighting) to be ON on with High Beam.
What's the point of this mod? It creates extra light close to you rendering objects in the dark, far away less detectable.

·
Registered
2016 CRV EX-L
165 Posts
I've done 2 things; 1) added a universal HD Radio module (it's in the glove box), and 2) put on acura 19" wheels (225x55 tires).

As we all know, sometimes, we're not too proud of our improvement attempts, but both I've done on this vehicle I'm very happy with. I did have one misfire on some wheels prior to the acura ones, but was able to sell those so not a big mistake at all.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Wife's 2014 CRV:
  • Installed custom wiring to allow front factory FOG lights (for short range lighting) to be ON on with High Beam.
  • Raised suspension 1.5". No more entry / exit pain on my older age back. smiles.

Have any pictures of the clearance lights ? What led bulbs you use?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Yes mrtn.

LED bulbs in high beams for further front distance. Fog lights for short range distance. Both ON at same time is a huge lighting improvement at night. Works great for me. If one tries it, I bet they never go back to factory design.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wife's 2014 CRV:

Hi newbie99, Do you mind mentioning how you did the 1.5" lift? Thanks!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Hi newbie99, Do you mind mentioning how you did the 1.5" lift? Thanks!
I simply visited ebay and bought above strut / coil spring system spacers.

Buy 20mm for the front and 30mm for the rear. re:
20mm front: Front strut spacers 20mm for Honda CR-V CRV 2006-2017 Lift Kit | eBay
30mm rear: Rear strut spacers 30mm for Honda CR-V, ODYSSEY, JADE Lift Kit | eBay

Note: Do shop around because selling prices do dramatically vary.

After spacer installs (which is a DIY task in my flat driveway), I then got 4 wheel alignment (at alignment shop).

It's that simple...

·
Registered
2016 CR-V EX 2.4 L Gasoline
304 Posts
Led cabin bulbs only the 2 map lights, center dome, and trunk light. Weather-Tech full large front mats to keep the water from melting snow that gets tracked in to it in the winter from causing a mess. 4 way tire iron because the L iron can be useless to loosen a stubborn lug nut. 1/2 drive Evecraft click type torque wrench from NAPA used to tighten all the lug-nuts to the proper 80 Lb/ft torque so they are on tight enough, will not warp rotors, and are much easier to remove if I ever get a flat, compared to how hard they were to remove when they were over-tightened by the dealer. Fumoto oil drain valve with right angle drain tube and removable hose.

Drilled many holes on bottom of chrome trim (one in every corner of inside supports) just below window on back hatch so it no longer accumulates water when I park facing up-hill, and then would rain down the water on me when I opened the trunk to load it. To remove it to work on it, open the trunk to access the two bolts, and take the two bolts off that holds it to the back hatch and then the clips will release when you pull on it.

Got a set of the highway rated twist link tire chains and two sets of the spider chain tensioners from tirechainsrus.com. Pre-fitted the chains and tied the extra link down with a 12 gauge bare solid copper wire so it can not flap around and hit a brake line or sensor or senor wire. Added a long piece of insulated 12 gauge solid wire for fishing the inside chain when installing, to the chain kit to make installing easy. Added wire cutters to remove tie-down 12 gauge wire, and extra 12 gauge bare wire. Added winter water-proof gloves to vehicle for changing tire in winter or installing tire chains. Added first aid kit.

Cut off the top off a 2 Liter bottle of Pepsi to use as an oil funnel for adding oil. It fits the hole on the valve cover real nice. Put it in a plastic bag to keep it clean. Put a quart of oil in several bags just incase it leaks. Put both beside spare tire, (you can loosen the hold-down of the spare to reposition the spare so there is room for the oil, then tighten it back down).

Some things to know about using a torque wrench: Never use it to loosen with, you might subject it to too much torque and ruin its calibration. Store it on the lowest setting when not in use so the spring does not move around when it is moved and so the spring in it is not heavily compressed for a long time which may ruin calibration.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, I had it undercoated at a place called Rust Repair Incorporated. Most of there work is repairing rusted vehicles, but they also apply under-coatings and protective coatings inside body panels and doors. There package includes bringing it back every year for a free touch-up for 6 more times. I figure anyplace that does most of there work repairing rusted vehicles would know what sections of the vehicle require the protection. Pittsburgh PA uses salt liberally every time it snows and that really promotes rust.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I simply visited ebay and bought above strut / coil spring system spacers.

Buy 20mm for the front and 30mm for the rear. re:
20mm front: Front strut spacers 20mm for Honda CR-V CRV 2006-2017 Lift Kit | eBay
30mm rear: Rear strut spacers 30mm for Honda CR-V, ODYSSEY, JADE Lift Kit | eBay

Note: Do shop around because selling prices do dramatically vary.

After spacer installs (which is a DIY task in my flat driveway), I then got 4 wheel alignment (at alignment shop).

It's that simple...
Thanks newbie99! You are the first person I have read who has actually tried these spacers. Without your input I would have doubted that the camber could have been corrected to factory specs. Like you I have wanted a little bit of lift.

Has anyone found stiffer struts?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks newbie99! You are the first person I have read who has actually tried these spacers. Without your input I would have doubted that the camber could have been corrected to factory specs. Like you I have wanted a little bit of lift.

Has anyone found stiffer struts?
Bilstein claims to be 10% stiffer

1 - 20 of 20 Posts