Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the discussions about the oil contamination issue I'm sure this has been brought up but I couldn't find it. Has there been a noticeable decline in the resale values of our
Gen 5's because of it?

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,016 Posts
well it's like this oh look a new forum, and all the issues. This forum is full of issues more issues that you can imagine, then my crv ever will have. take a loss if it's a penny or thousands still will be an issue for the forum here

Happy holidays

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,016 Posts
As this was a discussion outside the net you know my answer.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
We have had two people report selling there Gen5 CR-VS and both seemed very happy with the price they got. One commented that he got the Kelly Blue book value without any problems, the other would not say the exact price but he seemed happy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My personal experience was that we were given mid KBB range for our vehicle when we traded it in recently for a Rav4. I played dumb, but they trotted out the reports of dilution in order to convince us to do the deal "right now". Was I thrilled? No, not really - I liked the CRV and we booked a loss in getting rid of it so quickly. But I was relieved. In effect I convinced myself I was avoiding a bigger problem down the road as we tend to keep cars for a while. The 2007 CRV we traded in for the 2018 had 302K miles and was a TANK - nothing other than routine maintenance, ever!

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
3,671 Posts
Traded in my '18 Touring 2WD last week on a '19 RDX. Got $26,500 for the CR-V with 15,500 miles, against a purchase price on the RDX that was about $200 under invoice, PLUS a $1,000 loyalty rebate. So, it appears that there is not much problem with reduced resale values on the 5th Gen CR-V, at least from my point of view.

from KBB:
Very Good Condition:
Trade-in Range
$25,013 - $26,861
$25,935 =Trade-in Value

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Traded in my '18 Touring 2WD last week on a '19 RDX. Got $26,500 for the CR-V with 15,500 miles, against a purchase price on the RDX that was about $200 under invoice, PLUS a $1,000 loyalty rebate. So, it appears that there is not much problem with reduced resale values on the 5th Gen CR-V, at least from my point of view.

from KBB:
Very Good Condition:
Trade-in Range
$25,013 - $26,861
$25,935 =Trade-in Value
Interesting...I am looking hard at the new RDX. I have zero problems with my '17 Touring...no oil dilution, my heater works great, etc. just a great car. But, that new RDX is one fine piece of machinery and I am temped to trade up to one. They really did a great job on the new model.

·
Banned
353 Posts
So, it appears that there is not much problem with reduced resale values on the 5th Gen CR-V, at least from my point of view.
from KBB:
Very Good Condition:
Trade-in Range
$25,013 - $26,861
$25,935 =Trade-in Value
So you were within the KBB expected trade-in range.

Does the KBB data already take into account any decreased values related to the oil dilution problem?

·
3,671 Posts
So you were within the KBB expected trade-in range.

Does the KBB data already take into account any decreased values related to the oil dilution problem?
I don't know how I would know that.

In AZ we only pay sales tax on the difference between the trade and the new purchase, so I also saved about $2,280 in sales tax on the trade in.

Very happy with the deal and the new RDX.

·
3,671 Posts
Interesting...I am looking hard at the new RDX. I have zero problems with my '17 Touring...no oil dilution, my heater works great, etc. just a great car. But, that new RDX is one fine piece of machinery and I am temped to trade up to one. They really did a great job on the new model.
Yes, it is a very nice vehicle.
Sent you a PM

·
Banned
353 Posts
I don't know how I would know that.
But you stated "It appears that there is not much problem with reduced resale values on the 5th Gen CR-V."

If you don't know whether the KBB trade-in values you quoted already factor in reduced values due to the oil dilution issue, then why do you think there isn't much problem with reduced resale values?

·
Registered
117 Posts
My personal experience was that we were given mid KBB range for our vehicle when we traded it in recently for a Rav4. I played dumb, but they trotted out the reports of dilution in order to convince us to do the deal "right now". Was I thrilled? No, not really - I liked the CRV and we booked a loss in getting rid of it so quickly. But I was relieved. In effect I convinced myself I was avoiding a bigger problem down the road as we tend to keep cars for a while. The 2007 CRV we traded in for the 2018 had 302K miles and was a TANK - nothing other than routine maintenance, ever!
Considering Kelly Blue Book doesn’t list the CR-V in the top 3 now, when they did last summer...guess they are starting to factor it in:

https://www.kbb.com/new-cars/best-resale-value-awards/best-resale-compact-suv-crossover/

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Edumunds, KBB, etc. don't take any single thing into account or not into account when determining resale value. It's just an amalgamation of actual transaction prices. They don't have somebody in the back room poring over service reports and making up numbers.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Considering Kelly Blue Book doesn’t list the CR-V in the top 3 now, when they did last summer...guess they are starting to factor it in:

https://www.kbb.com/new-cars/best-resale-value-awards/best-resale-compact-suv-crossover/
Unless they have a time machine in their garage, this is a publicity exercise. Seriously, giving out 3-5 year resale awards to 2019 cars in January of 2019? How does that work exactly? Shouldn't they be handing out awards to 2016-14 cars?

·
3,671 Posts
But you stated "It appears that there is not much problem with reduced resale values on the 5th Gen CR-V."

If you don't know whether the KBB trade-in values you quoted already factor in reduced values due to the oil dilution issue, then why do you think there isn't much problem with reduced resale values?
Good point. I have traded in one other new car after 1 year (with a very similar MSRP) and lost much more $ on that trade in, so I was very pleased with the amount I received for the CR-V.

Please don't make this a huge issue. I said "it appears..." which is not exactly a statement of fact, just that it seemed that way to me.

May I suggest that if you want to research this further, that you take several examples of other CUVs with similar MSRP, and look KBB and see what percentage they loose after 1 year on a trade in.

·
Banned
353 Posts
Good point. I have traded in one other new car after 1 year (with a very similar MSRP) and lost much more $ on that trade in, so I was very pleased with the amount I received for the CR-V.

Please don't make this a huge issue. I said "it appears..." which is not exactly a statement of fact, just that it seemed that way to me.

May I suggest that if you want to research this further, that you take several examples of other CUVs with similar MSRP, and look KBB and see what percentage they loose after 1 year on a trade in.
It appears KBB is unreliable, at best.

It shows the EX-L w/ Nav model to be the top trim level, with Touring being a step below (obviously wrong).

The trade-in range for the "top trim level" is $27,300 - $29,300.

·
3,671 Posts
It appears KBB is unreliable, at best.

It shows the EX-L w/ Nav model to be the top trim level, with Touring being a step below (obviously wrong).

The trade-in range for the "top trim level" is $27,300 - $29,300.
I see what you are saying, I had no reason to even look at that the pricing for EXL with Navi.
Doesn't this even more support the argument that there has been no big drop in resale values after 1 year?

Here's how Edmunds appraises the '18 CRV Touring 2WD:

Current Pricing
Rough
Average
Clean
Outstanding
TRADE-IN
$21,558
$24,020
$26,676
$27,694

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Comparing 1 year depreciation is not a good metric at all. The largest depreciation drop is in that time period.

My 17' EX trade in value is 20% less than I paid.
My step mom's 18' Chevy Equinox is worth 25% less than what she paid.

Doesn't seem like a huge difference, but with a year newer model year, that's a huge difference. In 5 years it will be quite noticeable.

Also tells you how people get behind on loans with Chevy vehicles. I am not upside down on my Honda at all. Not even close.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts