Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new 2019 and would like to keep rocks from chipping the paint and maybe keep it a bit cleaner so I'm going to buy some splash shields (you know, the hard plastic "flaps" mounted at the rear of the wheel wells).

Which are better, OEM or aftermarket? If someone has had some good aftermarket ones, what brand? I know OEM should have good fitment but they're expensive.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
The Honda mud flaps are too short to do much good, in my opinion. I bought 2 pair of stiff but flexible mud flaps from Oreily Auto Parts for about $20, iirc. Mounted them myself.

Reactions: bAb2020

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,789 Posts
I bought 2 pair of stiff but flexible mud flaps from Oreily Auto Parts
Pics, or it didn't happen. :giggle:

In the past, Honda offered bigger (lower) accessory mud flaps to Canadian owners. I fitted these to our '81 Civic when we bought it (new).

Do they still offer different flaps to Canadian owners? (These day of course, the rockers of new cars are usually plastic clad, so the need is lessened.)

PS: Mud flaps won't keep the car significantly cleaner. The dirty water splashes 'outward', then the airstream pushes it onto the car body...?

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I post pics of my install, with instructions iirc, about a year ago. I’m not very patient with this sites “search” function

If driving mile after mile on wet roads, flaps or not, the car gets dirty. If driving thru some idiots nuisance sprinkler water running across the street, the flaps work great. The lower (longer), the better.

OEM flaps are lookie-loo, in my opinion, and if they were long enough to do any good, they would never survive a speed bump.

Reactions: Cliff's CRV

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,789 Posts
I’m not very patient with this sites “search” function
Yeah SEARCH stinks right now. Best way is to use Google like so:

CRVOWNERSCLUB.COM: search term.

If you remember the title search that. I'd like to see how they look on your V.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
10-4 on stinks. Me, remembering something from 1 1/2 years ago?.......good one.

From 4-18:

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
If you turn it in, remove the flaps, re-attach the very small black painted screws into the black plastic. It will look original.

·
Registered
2017 EX White Diamond Pearl
171 Posts
Bring it back to your salesman and tell him to put the OEM's on and charge the next owner ?

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Here's somewhat of a comparison between OEM splash shields/mud flaps. Our RAV4 (on the right) has factory OEM mud flaps. I'm guessing they are about the same height/coverage as CRV factory OEMs.

On the left, inexpensive stiff, but flexible, rubber flaps from O'reilley Auto Parts mounted on the CRV. They can be mounted as high as the OEMs, or almost dragging the ground, or somewhere in between. They are flexible enough to handle any parking lot speed bump.(y)

Speaking of speed bumps.......were they invented by a smart/clever individual or a stupid dumb a__ speeder?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's a BIG difference. As much as I don't want to remove (and lose) screw covers, etc, it sort of sounds like I need to do just that and Frankenstein my own mudflaps.

Thanks for the comparison.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,789 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts