Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m towing a 920 lb boat/trailer with my 2017 EXL and was wondering if anyone has done much towing with a Gen 5 ?
Bought mine in Nov of 17 and been towing my fishing boat on the average 3 times a week, 20 miles round trip each trip, ever week, since I bought it. It’s did a great job, stops it as good as it pulls it. I have 27k miles on it now, did a transmission oil change at 13k to take a look at the oil and the oil that came out looked as good as I poured back in. Really been a great vehicle so far.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Sounds like your setup does well.? I’ve wondered how the CVT would do when retrieving up a boat ramp.

I installed a Curt hitch and bought a Harbor Freight trailer to haul landscape materials spring and fall. Loaded trailer +/-1000 lbs, <10 miles. Works great.......and both cars still fit in the garage since the trailer stands up/rolls on casters.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also got a Curt hitch from Etrailer. Really nice hitch. I fish with another retired guy and he gets in the boat, then I put the boat in and when leaving, he drives the boat on the trailer and I pull the boat out with him in it. He’s a big boy, I’d say another 220 lbs, so with him and gear in the boat I’m pushing 1150 lbs coming up the boat ramp and it does very well, even on a wet boat ramp. When on the road I’m running it in the S position. Engine turning about 3k rpms at 65 mph.
I also have a 5x8 utility trailer I use for hauling yard materials and stuff. It has a large drive on ramp that sticks up pretty high and I can tell it’s back there worse than the boat/trailer.
Like your signature. I’m a retired vehicle technician and agree on taking a look see under the hood at least weekly. I even do a deep battery charge weekly on all my cars.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
How about a pic or two of your rig(s)?

Moved out to the desert some 45 years ago where the closest mud hole, that has any fish, is 175 miles away.........and bought first boat.?‍♂ Well duh, how dumb is that? Anyhow, been thru 6 boats and caught a few fish. Kids and wife would last maybe 30 minutes fishing then say "dad, can we ski now?":eek: Sold the last boat a few years back and traded my last p/u truck on the CRV. For what I need now, that little trailer and the CRV takes the place a p/u just fine.......and gets 25 mpg, not 12. Now our kids take the wifey and I out in their "holes in the water that they pour money in to".?

IMG_20190602_155512.jpg

·
Registered
988 Posts
Before I bought a half ton pickup, I used a 6x8 utility trailer to haul garbage to the dump twice. I did a one time heavier load of floor and wall tile as well as other home remodeling items for a short 3 mile trip. It got the job done but not without a struggle. Fuel economy drops significantly as one would expect. And the CRV's unibody isn't ideal given limited connect strength and loud road/trailer noises radiating throughout the cabin. Even driving slow it's difficult to feel comfortable with that racket. Otherwise the hitch is used to haul bicycles which is does admirably.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Yep, sometimes the tail can wag the dog.?‍♂ With only a 1500 lb tow raring, the tail ain’t going to be very big before dog waggin’ begins.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How about a pic or two of your rig(s)?

Moved out to the desert some 45 years ago where the closest mud hole, that has any fish, is 175 miles away.........and bought first boat.?‍♂ Well duh, how dumb is that? Anyhow, been thru 6 boats and caught a few fish. Kids and wife would last maybe 30 minutes fishing then say "dad, can we ski now?":eek: Sold the last boat a few years back and traded my last p/u truck on the CRV. For what I need now, that little trailer and the CRV takes the place a p/u just fine.......and gets 25 mpg, not 12. Now our kids take the wifey and I out in their "holes in the water that they pour money in to".?

View attachment 136114 View attachment 136114 View attachment 136115
My boat is not that grand but will post a picture next week. Out of town and don’t have any pictures of the trailer or boat.
I had a QX4 and a 3 series BMW wagon that the CRV replaced. Both vehicles had over 200k miles and tried to get a do all vehicle. It’s really fit the bill very well. We have a rv stored at Myrtle Beach SC and spent around 10 weeks a year here. The wagon was the beach car, with the QX4 the do all. The C gets about 21-22 mpg towing the boat while QX4 would get 15 mpg. I think if you hauled the QX4 on a trailer it would have got 15 mpg. Really great vehicle but loved fuel.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Before I bought a half ton pickup, I used a 6x8 utility trailer to haul garbage to the dump twice. I did a one time heavier load of floor and wall tile as well as other home remodeling items for a short 3 mile trip. It got the job done but not without a struggle. Fuel economy drops significantly as one would expect. And the CRV's unibody isn't ideal given limited connect strength and loud road/trailer noises radiating throughout the cabin. Even driving slow it's difficult to feel comfortable with that racket. Otherwise the hitch is used to haul bicycles which is does admirably.

It is amazing how much louder a unibody vehicle is when towing vs BOF. The first unibody I attached a trailer to was a 2011 Grand Cherokee, a fairly robust, designed with towing in mind unibody (V8's can tow 7,200lbs). Holy crap it was loud, I thought something was overly loose or broke. Did some Googling and that's just how unibodies are with the hitch not being isolated from the cabin with rubber mounts.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I have found using a “anti-rattle” ball mount makes a huge difference. Proper adjustment of the trailer to ball clamping force helps as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts