Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2019 CR-V EX
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the hood up on my V this morning to check the oil level. She's got 7200+ miles on her now and I figured I would open the air filter box and take a gander at the air filter. YIKES!!! It was filthy. I guess that I should not be surprised because it is the smallest air filter of any vehicle I have ever owned. I imagine that this is another case of saving money in costs where designs and manufacturing are concerned. Anyway, I replaced it. I always keep an extra ready to go. On past vehicles, I would replace the air filter every 10K miles and it was rarely filthy unless I had been out in the desert but it was also twice as large. The condition of the filter I have replaced here suggests that I should be prepared to replace it every 5K miles. YMMV.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
It seems to me the CRV air filter element has some kind of oily film/coating on it. I replaced the element at 12K miles (quite dusty living in the desert) and the new parts store house brand replacement element was plastic wrapped inside a cardboard box. The replacement element also has an oily film/coating.?‍♂

Reactions: SnakeCharmer

·
Registered
2019 CR-V EX
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It seems to me the CRV air filter element has some kind of oily film/coating on it. I replaced the element at 12K miles (quite dusty living in the desert) and the new parts store house brand replacement element was plastic wrapped inside a cardboard box. The replacement element also has an oily film/coating.?‍♂
Yes I noticed that as well and now I think that it plays a part in how dirty it looks as compared to how dirty it really is. In other words, wet dirt looks dirtier than dry dirt. Perhaps a marketing ploy to fool us into replacing the filter more frequently? It's not a K&N so why the "oil coating"?

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
10-4 on wet dirt looking dirtier. (y)

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
changing it is better then listening to us gripe on when to do, your car not mine so we changed ours, it is not that 1L size one that gets a small spot. like your ac in teh house you wait for the last lint Lol

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Hey Mr. Fish, great video, as usual. Did you happen to notice any oily film/coating on the new filter? I'm guessing the cellophane wrapping keeps the wet film from soaking thru the cardboard box. ?‍♂

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
the filter that I placed in at the time is not a GH Honda one and no it was not moist, from my memory cells I have left (lol), when again I order it will check it and it may be wiped down and sit for Xamount of days due to todays times.

Reactions: crv383

·
Registered
2019 CR-V EX
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
changing it is better then listening to us gripe on when to do, your car not mine so we changed ours, it is not that 1L size one that gets a small spot. like your ac in teh house you wait for the last lint Lol

Thanks for making that video. I used a Phillips screwdriver to loosen the 4 screws on my V. They were torqued extremely tight but by applying my body weight to the Phillips (to provide down force), I was able to get each one loose without damage to the 4 screw heads.

Now, lets talk about that dirty exterior and dirty engine compartment in your V. And, I see some corrosion dust around the battery terminal. Looking forward to the next videos regarding these concerns. ;)

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Picky, picky, picky. :giggle:

Reactions: SnakeCharmer

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
Thanks for making that video. I used a Phillips screwdriver to loosen the 4 screws on my V. They were torqued extremely tight but by applying my body weight to the Phillips (to provide down force), I was able to get each one loose without damage to the 4 screw heads.

Now, lets talk about that dirty exterior and dirty engine compartment in your V. And, I see some corrosion dust around the battery terminal. Looking forward to the next videos regarding these concerns. ;)
LIFE what riding does to any vehicle. Humidity in the air can not be stopped and what types are the areas you reside in, for us it's the Sea (Ocean) air. The Construction going on, etc..

As the bolts will Break over the years, been there done that. 2002 crv gave after 10 years, bought new one's think I have a vid on that?
the Dewalt bat may have been weak so why you saw me lock it Lol, I am stronger than that tool. so a regular 10mm socket Driver , is great, like said by you a Driver worked fine.

Next time I'll go to the Dealer, Pop the CRV hood and remove their air filter, as I do a close up I'll swap to our V. and then right back to theirs. so you wouldn't have a single thing to Nit pick on but me cheating the system LOL Just kidding. time to wax and shine the engine before the next clip.

·
Registered
2019 CR-V EX
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
LIFE what riding does to any vehicle. Humidity in the air can not be stopped and what types are the areas you reside in, for us it's the Sea (Ocean) air. The Construction going on, etc..

As the bolts will Break over the years, been there done that. 2002 crv gave after 10 years, bought new one's think I have a vid on that?
the Dewalt bat may have been weak so why you saw me lock it Lol, I am stronger than that tool. so a regular 10mm socket Driver , is great, like said by you a Driver worked fine.

Next time I'll go to the Dealer, Pop the CRV hood and remove their air filter, as I do a close up I'll swap to our V. and then right back to theirs. so you wouldn't have a single thing to Nit pick on but me cheating the system LOL Just kidding. time to wax and shine the engine before the next clip.
Always appreciating your efforts and contributions Fishy.

Thanks!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Those Air filter screws are replaceable, if stripped as on my TSX after 15 years, just pick up 4 additional from the dealer. My CRV engine (new in December ) is surprisingly clean after 3000 km of salt and snow. I don’t wax engines, just wipe with a rag and maybe windex or some of my motorcycle plastic cleaner occasionally, wipe down battery last before disposing the rag.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the hood up on my V this morning to check the oil level. She's got 7200+ miles on her now and I figured I would open the air filter box and take a gander at the air filter. YIKES!!! It was filthy. I guess that I should not be surprised because it is the smallest air filter of any vehicle I have ever owned. I imagine that this is another case of saving money in costs where designs and manufacturing are concerned. Anyway, I replaced it. I always keep an extra ready to go. On past vehicles, I would replace the air filter every 10K miles and it was rarely filthy unless I had been out in the desert but it was also twice as large. The condition of the filter I have replaced here suggests that I should be prepared to replace it every 5K miles. YMMV.
Many years ago I started using reusable/cleanable K&N filters, as I keep my vehicles and do most of the maintenance. They work BETTER than the disposable kind, and will outlast the car. My '14 has both the engine air and cabin air K&N filters. Yes they are a little messy to clean/re-oil, but as it's done at oil change intervals (st least checked then), it is well worth it.The engine breathes better, getting better mpg. In Colorado this breathing is needed for horse power! Good Luck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Many years ago I started using reusable/cleanable K&N filters, as I keep my vehicles and do most of the maintenance. They work BETTER than the disposable kind, and will outlast the car. My '14 has both the engine air and cabin air K&N filters. Yes they are a little messy to clean/re-oil, but as it's done at oil change intervals (st least checked then), it is well worth it.The engine breathes better, getting better mpg. In Colorado this breathing is needed for horse power! Good Luck!
Hi LimoDon, I just watched this YouTube video about car air filters from the Project Farm YouTube site. Reputable site that does not accept paid commercial sponsors. I think you and others will find it interesting.

·
Registered
17 CR-V LX
250 Posts
Turbo?
My 2.4l looks good still after 40k, different design element. Central Florida.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts