Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question in regards to the child seat tether anchors. I just installed a Britax convertible child seat in the rear facing mode. I am using the LATCH system connections, and am anchored in the passenger side rear seat. In the Britax manual it indicates that some cars have a floor anchor, so that you can connect the tether to that and make the seat more secure. However the CR-V manual only shows the anchors at the back of the rear seats and the one on the ceiling in the cargo area. Also I did not find any floor anchor when examining the back seat floors. Has anyone run into this issue, and if so what was their solution? I would prefer to use the tether, but the anchors all seem to be suited to use in the forward facing seat configuration (which my child is still too young for). Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Didn't the seat come with a strap which can be looped to the front seat anchor positions?

The rear tether in the CRV means that it would have to extend back over the carseat into the rear storage area which makes getting kiddo in and out of the seat a real pain. Our two britax seats (Boulevard and Pavilion) included a "loop strap" which the manual indicated could be used around the bottom of the front seats to create a new anchor position. Thats what we did.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I just used the anchors in the seat for a year until my daughter was facing forward with no problems...you dont need floor anchors for rear facing due to there is not enough weight to need it until they are over 27lbs or a year old which is when they recommend forward facing

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just used the anchors in the seat for a year until my daughter was facing forward with no problems...you dont need floor anchors for rear facing due to there is not enough weight to need it until they are over 27lbs or a year old which is when they recommend forward facing
I know this is an old thread but I got here via a google search wanting to find out how to tether rear facing in my CRV. I presume others might as well so I wanted to address this post. Very few american car seats actually allow rear tethering as it requires additional crash testing.

The reason for tethering rear facing is to get an install that will be more protective during a crash. It has nothing to do with seat or child weight. There are two types of tethering methods: the Australian method (looping the tether around the seat and using the forward facing tethers in back) and the Swedish method (tethering to the floor under, say, a front seat). I believe that the Britax seats are amongst the only seats that allow the Australian method (which doesn't do anything for seat rebound which is not a problem for the Australians who have anti-rebound bars) in addition to the Swedish method.

The reason that you want to tether, if the seat and car allow it, is the Swedish method of tethering will decrease the force of the rebound of the car seat in an accident. Rebound is what happens when you stop going forward after a crash. For example once you hit the airbag you will rebound backwards into your seat. Since a car seat isn't a part of the car it will rebound, too. This means that your child does as well. If you tether using the Swedish method you will reduce the force of the rebound of the car seat which will in turn reduce the likelihood of rebound related injuries to your child. Remember that the reason that we rear face is that a baby's spine is still very "stretchy" and when forward facing the rag doll like way their bodies become in an accident may sever their spinal cords. The rebound of the seat while rear facing will create a much less forceful rag doll like motion. So decreasing the rebound is safer.

The American Association of Pediatrics recommends rear facing until 2 or the child outgrows the rear facing limits of the seat. Research shows rear facing until 4 is when there isn't much more gained by continuing to rear face. While most states (and seats) allow forward facing once a baby is both 1 year old and 20-ish lbs, there is still great danger in forward facing them at this point. The 1 year and 20 lbs is NEVER a recommendation rather it's a minimum threshold. There is a big difference. You can't forward face before then by you MAY (at your own risk) after that. But it is not "recommended" by any car seat manufacturer. The Swedish require rear facing until 4 and build seats that will rear face until 6 or so. Because of these laws their child fatality rate for car accidents is almost zero.

A rear facing adult or child is 5 times safer than a forward facing adult or child.

Off my car seat safety soap box now.

It seems to me that the best place to tether would be loop the d-ring around the metal track under one of the front seats. But it looks like I'd have to remove the plastic cover. I was wondering if anyone had been successful doing this. I'm due for an oil change soon so I guess I'll ask at the dealer what they recommend. I also want to avoid any airbag wiring.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts