Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I've been really enjoying my '16 Touring AWD CRV. Has enough room for the family and is quite a comfortable all around SUV.

Most of the things I've done to it so far have been mostly interior creature comfort type things - LED interior lighting, floor mats, dashcam, etc....

When I saw this article about SUV spoilers that could improve fuel economy, though, I became intrigued.

http://www.treehugger.com/cars/spoiler-alert-minivans-and-suvs-could-become-more-fuel-efficient.html
A specially designed rear spoiler could increase the fuel efficiency of minivans and SUVs, according to a new study detailed in Green Car Congress. The study reveals that such a spoiler could both reduce drag and nearly eliminate aerodynamic lift—effectively saving several miles per gallon worth of gas consumption. The researchers used principles of fluid dynamics and ran numerical simulations in order to craft an ideal design for a spoiler specifically designed for bluff-backed vehicles. The study was published in the International Journal of Vehicle Design, and it found "that the aerodynamic drag and lift on a mini-van moving at 108 kph (67 mph) are reduced by 5% and more than 100%, respectively, when the new spoiler is attached to it."

And those numbers, especially the inconsequential-seeming 5 percent of drag relief, can add up to major fuel savings:

"65% of the power required for ground vehicles to travel on a highway at 70 miles per hour is being consumed due to aerodynamic drag, the reductions from the spoiler could increase fuel economy by up to several miles per gallon."
new-minivan-spoiler.png
The OEM 2015-16 Tailgate Spoiler isn't at all a bad looking thing, but it's pricey (from the dealer), and the design of it does nothing really for fuel economy, from what I've heard from others..For one thing, there is no channel for air to pass under the spoiler on the OEM model.

Well, initially, I was thinking that I might have to make my own spoiler to get that cross section design.
I saw some picture from the Nissan Juke-R and thought that might make a decent template.
127386-juke-r-spoiler-juker100827.jpg
I'd probably have to do some modification with fiberglass or something to get it to work... but it would be unique and I could shape / angle it to what I wanted it to be.
Alas, it's almost impossible to find that thing. Even on the Juke forums, they had a group buy from a company in Thailand(?) to make a limited number of them at an almost outrageous amount of money per set - I sort of recall the ballpark figures of somewhere between $300-$600?!??!?

Anyway, I kept looking around, and eventually, I found this Mugen Spoiler for the Gen3 CRV (2007-2011)... It was still for a CRV, albeit a somewhat different shaped one, but I figured, what the heck. It was relatively cheap overall (I think I got a replica off ebay for like $75 shipped). So I decided to give it a try.
honda-crv-07-mugen-spoiler-fiber-paint-lklailai2-1408-22-lklailai2@3.jpg
(apologies for hijacking someone else's picture of the spoiler)

Turns out, it's not a *perfect* fit for the Gen4 (2012-2016) CRV model, but it's really quite close. Close enough that it works.
I had to paint it myself so I bought some Adhesion promoter, base paint, and clear coat. All told I think I spent about... $50 extra on paint?
I also had to get the mounting hardware. I already had the heavy duty automotive 3M double sided stick tape, but the M6 Jack nuts and screws were an extra $8 (might be cheaper, depending on where you get them... I have a lot left over in case anyone is interested).

Here are the results:
BC15FE49-534F-4A19-8C97-3DFD3E3B94F0_zpszcugw6um.jpg
the side profile of the spoiler is not exactly like the diagram, but it does provide an air channel and a little curved lip on the bottom edge to sort of guide air down along the back window. (never mind the bottom was a little dusty in this pic)

So.. back to the original question at hand. Does it make a difference?
Preliminarily, I have to suggest that I think it actually might.
My '16 is about 4500 miles in, just at the point of needing my first oil change - the maintenance minder actually came on today.
Before putting on the spoiler, I think I was averaging about 23.5 - 24.5 mpg from the car's display. The highest I've probably ever seen it go was about 25.5 mpg.

I put the spoiler a day ago, and refueled last night. Today I drove on the freeway for a bit and got up to 28 mpg, with an average of more like 27-27.5 mpg. Even at 1-2 additional MPG, that's fairly impressive. And yes, similar to what is suggested in the article, I saw the biggest changes when driving at freeway speeds >60 MPH. I'll try to see if I can get more averaged data, but it strangely looks promising -- moreso than what I was expecting at least. Initially, I thought there really wouldn't be much of a difference.

The other thing I've heard people ask if if it helps keep the back window any cleaner. I'll have to get back to you guys on that one. I washed and dried the rear window after installation (cause of smudges while brushing against it during the install LOL). Still seems clean, but before the spoiler, I thought the back of the CRV was a dust and dirt magnet. I'll try to update you all on that one too.

thanks for looking,
-C

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow that looks really nice! I've been thinking of putting a spoiler onto my 08 CRV for a while. Do you still have a link to where you got the spoiler?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No... but when I ordered there were quite a few options to choose from on eBay. Try looking for "CRV mugen spoiler".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not a whole lot. Used some 3M heavy duty double sided stick tape to help it stay in place but really the thing is mainly held on cause like the OEM spoiler, it’s physically bolted down into the rear trunk lid.

Update on the effectiveness - doubt it has any true benefit unless you very frequently hit speeds above 60 mph. In Los Angeles traffic... not quite so much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts