Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
overall not happy with LX interior. Really substandard. Was not expecting this china like quality.
My 2018 was made in canada and 09 was made in Japan.

So I paid 3300 more on OTD between when I bought 09 CRV LX AWD and 18 CRV LX AWD.

What did I get for that -

LED lights, color LCD with camera
17 inch alloy wheels
electronic parking brake
bluetooth, usb
automatic climate control
AWD vs 4WD
184 HP vs 166 HP
curb weight 3421 vs 3501 ( must be due to CVT being lighter)

what did I lose for that -

automatic transm ( CVT is cheaper so in loss category)
CD audio system
MP3 aux jack

quality of interior - plastic looks real cheap (like dollar store chinese junk). really disappointed that honda decided to go for this junk on canadian made cars.

quality of cloth seats - pure trash, hurts your body that rough. 09 CRV cloth seats were much nicer.

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,200 Posts
So I paid 3300 more on OTD between when I bought 09 CRV LX AWD and 18 CRV LX AWD.

After taking 9 years of inflation into account, how much more did you really pay? And how much better fuel economy did you get with the '18?

I dont know how much you paid, so I guessed at $25,000 CAD... I googled and found this:

http://inflationcalculator.ca/

In Canada, a basket of goods and services
...that costs:
$ 25,000 in 2009
...would cost:
$ 28,977.27 in 2018

So, in real terms you most likely got a quieter, safer, and more economical car for less money

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After taking 9 years of inflation into account, how much more did you really pay? And how much better fuel economy did you get with the '18?

I dont know how much you paid, so I guessed at $25,000 CAD... I googled and found this:

http://inflationcalculator.ca/

In Canada, a basket of goods and services
...that costs:
$ 25,000 in 2009
...would cost:
$ 28,977.27 in 2018

So, in real terms you most likely got a quieter, safer, and more economical car for less money
Point was not the money but how the quality has deteriorated over years

·
5,200 Posts
Point was not the money but how the quality has deteriorated over years
Ok, Got it, Thanks for clearing that up for me.

I never owned a 2009 CR-V so I can't compare.

·
5,200 Posts
yes comparing only LX trims ,,, u have touring so it must be nicer.

I didnt go for higher trims due to oil engine issue on 1.5 L turbo
I thought the LX in Canada also has the 1.5L turbo engine?

·
5,200 Posts
Bought it in chicago. I meant manufactured in Canada.
OK, got it. sorry..and sorry you are not happy with the car.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just bought a used 2018 Honda CRV EX-L with 4k miles on it for 25k private sale for the wife and we sold the 2009 Honda CRV EX-L. I have to say Honda has moved up in the world with the new CRV we love it. I hated driving the 09 I felt like I was in a tin box. The new CRV is much much quieter ride and I think the seats are nicer but we went from leather to leather. We have never owned an LX anything.

If I was you I would find some nice padded neoprene seat covers. I had some in my 05 F150 and I loved them. They come in two tone also and they look great. If I did not have heated and cooled leather seats in my 2015 F150 I would get them again for sure.

·
Registered
544 Posts
all your complaints should have been identified when you test drove it and decided it wasn't as nice as another...so why the hell did you buy it?
trade it in and buy something else...sheesh

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
cant help but chuckle at the "cheap Chinese plastic" reference. ALL PLASTIC IS CHEAP. And it's all plastic. the type of plastic used hasn't changed really in a long time. It's just the manufacturing process, final finish and thickness that changes. Even plastic made any where else in the world will come out the exact same if that's what is specced with the vehicle.

only truly valid complaint is rough seats.

other stuff is annoyances (CD player and mp3 player jack). With USB and bluetooth those things have gone the way of the DODO because very few, maybe 1 in a 100 at best. Probably more like 1 in 500 or 1000 that are buying a brand new vehicle dont have their music in something that's bluetooth compatible.

But for the price tag you got MORE for your money than 10 years ago.

fyi CVT transmissions are not cheaper to make than what an Automatic was 10 years ago. probably close to the same now.

What I dont understand is all the complaints but YOU BOUGHT THE THING. then complain after. Not because it has any actual problems, but for attention basically. If you liked your 2009 so much better YOU SHOULD HAVE KEPT IT.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
^^^^This^^^^

·
Registered
29 Posts
My wife likes our new 18 Touring much better than her 09 Acura TSX. I agree.

·
Registered
603 Posts
BTW there is a thread here on adding a USB CD player that seems to work perfectly. I haven't found any good solution for AUX... although but most people just work around it using Android Auto, USB stick, bluetooth, etc.

When I was looking, LX was never a consideration for me after seeing everything they stripped out - isn't even the Honda Sensing stuff out of it?

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
all your complaints should have been identified when you test drove it and decided it wasn't as nice as another...so why the hell did you buy it?
trade it in and buy something else...sheesh
Yeah it's always a head scratcher for me when someone complains about things that are right in front of them before they bought the vehicle! If something goes wrong after you buy it or something is hidden I can understand.

I sat in the lower end models cloth seats and I also felt the roughness. I looked at the dash and thought that this was not much of an upgrade from my 2014 RAV4. So at that point I stopped looking at that vehicle. If Honda did not have the better models I would have left and started looking at another brand of SUV. If it was all out of my price range then I would have looked for something used.

Rob

·
Registered
996 Posts
So you think your '09 was a 4WD?

I forget where the transfer case shifter is located in the '09's - please refresh my memory...

Manual or auto hubs on that beast?

Have had these CR-V's:

'97 (only one model available when they came out - it was the equivalent of the LX) - loved it for 110K
'05 EX - I thought it was Ok, the Wife loved it- 110K
'14 EX-L - great vehicle, not big enough for our needs - traded it @ 20K on a '16 Pilot EX-L W/ Sensing (hit a deer...so)
'18 Touring - excellent. Fantastic finishes, larger interior volume (than '14 CR-V) and much quieter than the '16 Pilot with ANC and acoustic glass.

SUPER happy. Best CR-V yet.

BTW - it is AWD just like the other CR-V's we had.

May you find happiness with your new, bottom-of-the-line CR-V.

Best.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Gee this list isn't that long. I constructed a list of the best and worst features of my current wagon and the ones people don't like totaled 39. The likes a mere 27. Fortunately, the important reasons I bought the car are in the likes category.

I don't think a test drive reveals all of the possible likes and dislikes of a car. I know the last car I test drove impressed me and then as I learned more I was glad I didn't buy it.

A car is a compromise where you (as either a designer or a buyer) balance cost versus content. Efficiency versus power. Ride versus handling. Noise versus efficiency. And as both the designer and the buyer you hope you get the things that are important right.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts