Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any success in quieting down the engine noise in the cabin? For a little 4-cyl it sure is loud. I was thinking about putting some sound deadening material on the firewall and under-hood to see if that might help. The road noise is also quite loud, but I'm assuming this is something I'll have to live with. My 2004 Silverado with a 5.3L V8 is quieter than this thing.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Since you posted in the the 1999-2001 forum, is it safe to assume you're referring to the noise levels in one of those year models?

Each major and sometimes minor model change generally brings about a quieter interior. The 2017 CR-V is the quietest yet - at least in terms of road and wind noise. The engine is quieter, too, but because other noise sources are suppressed, the engine can seem louder - particularly at higher RPM. Noise can be a mystical thing. Not everyone is sensitive to the same frequencies and a simple decibel measurement doesn't account for different frequencies, harmonics, and the other complexities of sound. What's quiet to one person is loud to another. One person might be lulled by the deep rumble of a V8 engine or the roar of off-road tires yet be kept awake at night by a dripping faucet on the other side of the house. It's all very subjective. One thing is for sure, it's hard to make any 4-cylinder engine sound "good" without regard to overall noise level.

I've owned and driven several Hondas. The 2017 Ridgeline is the quietest Honda I've ever been in by a considerable margin. It's even slightly quieter than the Pilot mainly because the rear wheels are outside of the passenger area in the Ridgeline. The downside is that the little rattles, ticks, and buzzes in doors, seats, the dash, etc. that are present in virtually every vehicle made really stand out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
hi,common fault on this model,i own a 1999 and it is just the same-but i find that it is great on motorway journey,s and keep the right foot light and just enjoy what is a real quality honda that will go on and on and on-cheers-bob.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 2000 CRV SE. I used to run Yokohama tires and recently switched to General Altimas - that is a much quieter tire and was a great improvement. Might want to also check your rear trailing arm bushings - I just changed mine and that made big difference as well. If anything in your suspension needs repair - bushings, wheel alignment or struts - they will have an effect on ride quality and interior sound levels.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I dyno matted every part of mine. Now you could hear a watch tick. but its expensive and takes for ever todo.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts