Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

141 - 160 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
wow! Yet another accidental duplicate post to delete! The quality of this site has gone, down, It will not be recommended by any review mags for a long time, better sell now!

Al kidding aside, the site HAS been very slow lately.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Exactly my thoughts. I haven't used it more then twice in 15 months of ownership. It's really not a huge issue though.
I've never had the issue with my 2018 but, the last two posts indicate no problem if set to come on automatically and others say problem occurred when setting it manually. I assume someone has tested these two differences?

·
Registered
3 Posts
CRV2019 battery

It's a very common issue. And apparently the old software update didn't do anything even on newer vehicles.

It seems like it is still tied to the electronic emergency brake. I'd suggest not using it except in extreme cases or when you are going to use the car shortly afterwards.
The problem doesn’t seem to be the emergency brake, as I never used it.

·
Registered
768 Posts
It's not an emergency brake, it's a parking brake.

I was backing down a friends driveway some years ago in a 50's Dodge collector car when the brake system totally failed. The driveway was sloped fairly steeply downward onto Highway 101 with a local speed limit of 45 MPH. I pulled the emergency brake and stopped before entering the highway.

If you engage the parking brake on your gen. 5 CR-V the brakes will engage for a partial second then the parking brake will disengage, rendering it useless for an emergency brake.

·
Registered
551 Posts
It's not an emergency brake, it's a parking brake.

I was backing down a friends driveway some years ago in a 50's Dodge collector car when the brake system totally failed. The driveway was sloped fairly steeply downward onto Highway 101 with a local speed limit of 45 MPH. I pulled the emergency brake and stopped before entering the highway.

If you engage the parking brake on your gen. 5 CR-V the brakes will engage for a partial second then the parking brake will disengage, rendering it useless for an emergency brake.
That is not true.
This is from the owners manual "If you pull up and hold the electric parking brake switch while driving, the brakes on all four wheels are applied by the VSA system until the vehicle come to a stop. The electric parking brake then applies, and the switch should be released."
I guess it depends on the type or definition of emergency.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just purchased a 2019 LX. First car with CVT transmission.I noticed yesterday at highway speed of about 65 mph the rpms were fluctuating about 3 hundred I could see it on the RPM gauge and feel it. I put it in cruise control and it did the same thing. Is this normal for a CVT transmission? It's very annoying. I'm going to call the Dealership Monday but was looking for opinions on this here on the forum.

·
Registered
122 Posts
That is not true.
This is from the owners manual "If you pull up and hold the electric parking brake switch while driving, the brakes on all four wheels are applied by the VSA system until the vehicle come to a stop. The electric parking brake then applies, and the switch should be released."
I guess it depends on the type or definition of emergency.
Great info to know!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Just purchased a 2019 LX. First car with CVT transmission.I noticed yesterday at highway speed of about 65 mph the rpms were fluctuating about 3 hundred I could see it on the RPM gauge and feel it. I put it in cruise control and it did the same thing. Is this normal for a CVT transmission? It's very annoying. I'm going to call the Dealership Monday but was looking for opinions on this here on the forum.
I don't know if it's normal but mine did it allot when it was new (less than about 2000 miles) then it settled down. It still does it from time to time on shallow inclines when is cool outside. I can hear and see it on the tach but I don't really feel it so I don't worry about.

If it's physically jerky the car you may want have the dealer check it out, if it's random your more than likely going to get the unable to duplicate response from them. I've been through it with a 2013 accord that has a CVT transmission which felt thike the front end was bouncing when RPM started bouncing. It took a few visits to the dealership for them to update the software, and still hunts form time to time but it can't really be felt.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy the new CVR.

·
Registered
10 Posts
What does it take to add to this list? We had the electronic brake malfunction that seems to be becoming more common on honda's recently as of the 2016 civic so far happen on our 2017 CRV EX-L AWD over the weekend, the only known fix both from the civic forums and from the honda dealer is to disconnect the battery long enough that the errors go away, the dealer was not able to give us a cause other than claimed "low battery" or "someone pumped the brakes too much" seeing that the issue happened right after opening the door, neither is true, the car just claimed it had an electronic brake malfunction and refused to start.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
What does it take to add to this list? We had the electronic brake malfunction that seems to be becoming more common on honda's recently as of the 2016 civic so far happen on our 2017 CRV EX-L AWD over the weekend, the only known fix both from the civic forums and from the honda dealer is to disconnect the battery long enough that the errors go away, the dealer was not able to give us a cause other than claimed "low battery" or "someone pumped the brakes too much" seeing that the issue happened right after opening the door, neither is true, the car just claimed it had an electronic brake malfunction and refused to start.
Wow! That's one really long sentence!

Did your dealer test the battery? If not, may I suggest another dealer?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a habit of run on sentences for sure... They did test the battery and stated that it tested "within normal parameters". We failed to get video or photos of all of the errors on the dash that came up with the brake failure warning but it seems to be something that just randomly comes up for some people. My girlfriend is the primary driver and I know she uses the parking brake from time to time to make sure it continues to work and she said she didn't turn it on when she stopped that day. We have had a string of bad luck with the car so far though, we were pretty happy with it 5 months or so ago but since then things have gone downhill fast. I may be taking it to another dealer in town (there are 3 luckily) and see what they say, but I will have to bring them all of the service records as well to show what all has been checked out so far.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Anyone know if there is a known pedal squeak fix/TSB? I remember reading about some master cylinders being bad initially. I’ve always thought it was the pedal on my car. I haven’t had great results spreading the grease on the pivots, or spraying penetrating lube on the pedal linkage. I’m out of the 30k mile warranty and I’m now deciding to do something about it. I had it making the noise within the first 10k miles. Pedal feel and power are great. I’ve had a car with a failed booster and master cylinder and don’t really feel a similar pedal feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just learned this today after my neighborhood got hit last night... "smart access" makes your car very vulnerable to theft, and there is apparently no way to turn it off on the CR-V.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Just learned this today after my neighborhood got hit last night... "smart access" makes your car very vulnerable to theft, and there is apparently no way to turn it off on the CR-V.

There are a lot of things to worry about in this world. If this is high on your list, you are having a pretty good life. Enjoy it!

·
Registered
35 Posts
There are a lot of things to worry about in this world. If this is high on your list, you are having a pretty good life. Enjoy it!
Wasn't even aware this as an issue until thieves used this to hit three cars in my neighborhood last night. Yesterday, I could have seen myself posting your response. But aware of how this works now, and after looking into this, I think we have been complacent due to our ignorance of how easy it is to exploit this. Several years ago, it was more of a theoretical possibility than an an actual m.o. of car thieves. But that has been rapidly changing. The word is out and the devices needed for this are easy to obtain and inexpensive. This has now become the easiest way to steal a car. It's easier and faster then hot-wiring an older car.

You don't need to believe me. Here's a warning from the NICB:

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Wasn't even aware this as an issue until thieves used this to hit three cars in my neighborhood last night. Yesterday, I could have seen myself posting your response. But aware of how this works now, and after looking into this, I think we have been complacent due to our ignorance of how easy it is to exploit this. Several years ago, it was more of a theoretical possibility than an an actual m.o. of car thieves. But that has been rapidly changing. The word is out and the devices needed for this are easy to obtain and inexpensive. This has now become the easiest way to steal a car. It's easier and faster then hot-wiring an older car.

This "threat" has been around for many years. This is not anything new, or unique to Honda. I learned a long time ago, never leave valuables in the car. Back in the old days, they would just break the window to gain entry. If you really think about it, this is much cheaper in the long run. You don't have to replace your window.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts

How many times are u gonna post this junk.
This has been going on for years lol

·
Registered
35 Posts
How many times are u gonna post this junk.
This has been going on for years lol
I'm not sure what you are talking about. You seem to be confused. I posted this issue here in this "issues" thread once. If it has been going on for years, then it should be listed as a "known issue." Another post and this post were made to people addressing me with a question (that would be you ,DeadstockNYZ) or who did not understand it and/or didn't believe it was an issue.

Previous to posting it here as an "issue", I'd posted in a different thread asking if there was a solution, because if there had been it would be a non-issue

But thanks for asking and allowing me to clarify. Hopefully, you are less confused now, DeadstockNYC. 😄

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I'm not sure what you are talking about. You seem to be confused. I posted this issue here in this "issues" thread once. If it has been going on for years, then it should be listed as a "known issue." Another post and this post were made to people addressing me with a question (that would be you ,DeadstockNYZ) or who did not understand it and/or didn't believe it was an issue.

Previous to posting it here as an "issue", I'd posted in a different thread asking if there was a solution, because if there had been it would be a non-issue

But thanks for asking and allowing me to clarify. Hopefully, you are less confused now, DeadstockNYC. 😄
I think you missed his point.

You posted nothing new that hasn't already been discussed and dismissed many times. If you want to live life worrying about every possible bad thing that could happen to you, go ahead. Just don't expect everyone to hop on board your train to Paranoiaville. :)

141 - 160 of 181 Posts