• what the heck is geocaching?!

Votes: 11 26.8%

• Total voters
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, as a formerly devoted EOC member, and recent CRV purchaser, we need some off topic threads to get going on here! I recently (like 2 weeks ago) discovered Geocaching (www.geocaching.com). Never heard of it before in my life, but it sounded like so much fun I thought the wife and I could give it whirl. Got my cheap GPS (Magellan Explorist 200) off ebay last week. Oh, if you're wondering, Geocaching is like treasure hunting with a GPS. We tried a few, but haven't found any yet. That being said, it was lots of fun looking! So, anyone else here a geocacher, or are we only gonna hit this site to check on our alignment?! (no offense to whoever posted that thread about alignment today!)

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Yep, we do it. The boys and I enjoy picking off various caches as we travel around to their various baseball, football and basketball games. Occasionally, we go into state parks, state forests, etc. to get some more.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
The Lady Pearl and I have been Geocaching since 2003. Lately we have been creating Waymarks (same idea but you look for things like state historical markers, covered bridges, war memorials, etc -- both Geocaching and Waymarking are run by the same outfit, Groundspeak).

Anyhow caching was a minor consideration in choosing a CR-V. We have no interest in off roading, but some of the caches we have done took us down some roads that our Voyager clearly was not designed for. The Voyager had the ground clearance of a slug and right square in the front, nice and low, sat the transmission oil pan. We never got stuck but it was through the grace of God, not the clever design by Chrysler.

Geocaching

http://www.geocaching.com/

Waymarking

http://www.waymarking.com/default.aspx?f=1

·
Registered
583 Posts
We enjoy it, although we don't get out to do it as much as we'd like. My daughters have fun for a while but can easily lose patience (I can as well) if a find is not going so well. This is certainly a great time of year to get out, explore and do some geocaching though.

2Red - we've got some good ones down here - only an hour away! :D

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Waymarking

The Lady Pearl and I went Waymarking this past Sunday. We created new Waymarks (the equivalent of hiding a cache) at a Pennsylvania State Historical Marker in Brookville, PA, and at a railroad bridge near Corsica, PA.

http://www.waymarking.com/wm/details.aspx?f=1&guid=4f7f5177-861d-4a32-8dfb-a9351b27884d&wft=2&uid=2b8f17a2-fa38-42e3-b211-9dea49a21bbe

http://www.waymarking.com/wm/details.aspx?f=1&guid=1b7c8d2a-9eee-4c92-bf53-6c69fe141e0c

If you click on one of the pictures in the first site, you will see the Black Pearl parked in the shadow, below the historical marker.

Below are some pictures of The Black Pearl while Waymarking.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool, it's been wayyyy too hot to do much outdoors lately, but is cooled off for the weekend, I'm hoping we get out sometime tomorrow or sunday.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Cool, it's been wayyyy too hot to do much outdoors lately, but is cooled off for the weekend, I'm hoping we get out sometime tomorrow or sunday.
We do Geocaching more in the spring and fall when the weather is more temperate and Waymarking in the winter and summer with the cold or hot weather. The time devoted to do a Waymark is relatively short. Most of them you drive up to verses caches which usually involve some walking.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Wow! I'm kinda shocked to see so many cachers! :D I'm not exactly sure why that Shocks me. I started Geocaching in 2003 up here in the great white North. This might be the single biggest reason I opted for my V over a new Jeep Patriot. It's all about the ground clearance baby! :)

Swifteroo

·
Registered
6 Posts
I randomly geocache and could really only be considered a novice (lucky 13 finds). It's been a blast. There are two I want to hit that will require a boat and now I have something to haul a kayak. :cool:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes indeed I geocache. I've been doing it for about 7 years and I'm approaching find #10,000. My new CR-V is scheduled to be dellivered next week, so I'm really looking forward to my new cachemobile. After all, doesn't CR-V stand for Cache Recovery Vehicle?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thought I had answered this before but I guess not after looking back. Yes I Geocache since 2005, have a little over 2100 finds.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts