Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any suggestions on what I should do to get a 99 Nissan Altima ready for a road trip? I'm thinking change oil, check fluids, rotate tires. Car has only 63000 miles.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Take Your V Instead

It will be more fun--plus if it snows (ya just never know) you got 4WD (better change that rear diff oil first).

One thing I usually forget to do is clean the inside of the windshield, and I always find myself driving into the setting sun for miles on end.

Check the condition and air pressure in all the tires but remember the spare as well. While you got the wheels off, during your rotation, check the brake pads/shoes and the condition of the front hoses. Check your wiper blades. If you get into a lot of rain, lousy wiper blades can be miserable hours on end. Rainx might be an option also. Make sure the battery terminals are not corroded. Check the condition of the belts and cooling hoses. If it has been a while since you changed your air filter, you might consider changing it.

If you haven't used the AC in a while check to make sure it is still getting cold.

Oh forget all that and take your V instead.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
any suggestions on what I should do to get a 99 Nissan Altima ready for a road trip? I'm thinking change oil, check fluids, rotate tires. Car has only 63000 miles.
I'll assume a lack of maintenance in the past, just for the sake of discussion.

You didn't say where you were going or how many miles, but since the temperature is going to be warmer...

Flush that coolant system and have fresh coolant put in there. If it has been a long time (if at all) replace the thermostat too.

Flush the brake fluid. You have to be able to stop. Old, contaminated fluid more readily overheats when pressed into duties like long downhill mountain driving.

Transmission fluid - same thing here. Old fluid won't help keep that trans as cool, especially if you are going into any mountains.

Oil change - a no brainer before a long trip.

Have a real mechanic give the suspension, steering components and brakes a good look-over too.

With this done, you will more at ease knowing that you have tried to minimize any issues before they can happen.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't take the V, although I would want to just to avoid the hassle of checking my sister's car, my V has racked up alot of miles in one year, at 13,000 miles now. We're driving from NYC to Montreal...don't know how many miles but I know its roughly an 8 hour drive each way.

I'm a newb on the coolant and brake fluid change. I think I read somewhere for the brake fluid change, you can use the Turkey Baster technique of taking out some and replacing it with new fluid and repeating this process 3x. is that correct?

The coolant I never have done, I'll snoop around the V site and assume it'll be the same process. Unless someone here has instructions or a link to show me it would be appreciated.

thanks for the input guys, this forum is a godsend =)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts