Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 with Navigation but wanted to try Apple Maps. Trouble was I couldn't be on an audio source (like FM, for example) and have that source be automatically paused for map directions - it was only one audio source at a time with the head unit, which had to be manually selected in the source menu. The solution wasn't obvious to me but turned out to be a contextual audio configuration in Apple Maps on the iPhone, which is only accessible while a map route is selected and active, otherwise you'll never see the necessary option.

While an Apple Maps route is RUNNING on the iPhone:
-SELECT the audio icon in the running map
-SELECT your Honda bluetooth pairing as the output
-ENABLE "Allow HFP Prompts" (Hands Free Profile) for that output option

I think this audio configuration is remembered once set but I've only been running this way for a short time so it remains to be seen if it holds through multiple scenarios or has to be re-enabled at some point. I'm currently running Apple Maps on an iPhone 7 using iOS 13, paired to the Honda via bluetooth and also connected with a lightning cable.

·
Registered
110 Posts
You also have the option to use Google maps. Under settings you can set to announce directions as well via Bluetooth. The advantage to Google maps is there is an audio setting that sends the audio as if receiving a call. Not sure if this works will all sources as it's been a while since I've used this setting. I listen to Spotify 100% of the time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm having an issue with the Bluetooth connection where it changes from "HandsFreeLink" to "14NAV" without any direct action on my part. I believe 14NAV refers to my head unit being a 2014 firmware revision. I suspect that these are two different Bluetooth profiles as the voice prompts while on another audio source no longer function when using 14NAV. The only remedy I know right now is to delete the phone profile from the car and re-pair to reestablish the HandsFreeLink profile, which then brings back the desired voice prompt functionality for me. I see that Honda has a support page at HandsFreeLink and that you can call them for assistance, which I might end up trying.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The HFL Bluetooth connection has remained stable and has not reverted to "14NAV" so I haven't had to call Honda for support. Not sure what trips it up when it happens but everything is working like it should so voice prompts continue override other audio as they're supposed to do. I don't mind the Honda Nav maps too much, especially how they're integrated with the upper display, but I HATE their voice system, so using the phone for maps is still my preferred option. Also not a fan of paying for annual map updates, which is a Garmin model that pre-dates internet maps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts