Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone !

I am planing to buy my first CR-V and I was hoping I can get some help from you guys ))

The thing I am on the budget so after doing almost a moth of research I am thing on buying 2nd Gen CR-V
but I want to mod it .. I want to lift it up and put bigger tiers on it to start with and then add the lights and all other kind of fun good things on the roof lol

my budget is about 3000$ for the car itself ( maybe can stretch it up to 4000$ if the deal is really really good ) but dont know ..
so Now I would love to know what kind of lift kits I can get ( if there is any ) what should I know and worry about ? how much could it be ?
what kind of tires can I get ? what is the limit not to go too crazy big so it won't impact the driving, gas and safety ?

any help would be super appreciated !

Registered
I would suggest you stay at, or very close to, the stock tire diameter/height. Taller tires will decrease performance/acceleration.......which there is not a whole lot of to begin with. Ten speed bicycle........is it easier to accelerate in say 3rd gear or 6th gear?

Good luck with the new (to you) ride.馃憤

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Oh wow really.. ? mmm well I wan't planing on speeding with that car not to go close to 100mph lol but is it really gonna impact that mach... ? ))

Registered
Oh wow really.. ? mmm well I wan't planing on speeding with that car not to go close to 100mph lol but is it really gonna impact that mach... ? ))
Bigger tires and wheels weigh more, and require more power to rotate.
It's the opposite end of 100 mph.......with taller tires, you'll have to push the go pedal farther to get rolling at the same rate as the original height tires. Again, the same affect as peddling a 10 speed bike in 3rd gear vs 6th gear....more effort is required to start in 6th (taller tire) vs 3rd (shorter tire). And as racoon said, takes more effort to move heavier vs lighter.

Do some homework......you can probably find tires a little wider (than stock) with a more aggressive tread pattern (than stock) and still stay very close to original height. Learn how to mathematically calculate tire sizes and learn about wheel offsets/back spacing, bolt patterns, etc. You really need to do your homework when it comes suspensions. Looks is one thing.......functionality is another.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the replays again.. and Yes that what I am doing now the homework and looking at the options what I can and can not do to the car..

I was hoping to go for a look similar to this in this video

perhaps just a spacers at the back and front with bigger tires but again.. like you said it will impact the driving alot.. ( which is sad ) lol

Registered
One other thing to check......your local DPS office regarding vehicle specs. Some states have laws against tires/wheels extending outward beyond the fenders/flares.

Remember.....Looks is one thing....functionality is another. I'm sure you already know which of the 2 is more important. A little sacrifice in one area will likely make a big improvement in another area. I'm not trying to discourage, just pointing out some important facts to be aware of in doing your "build".

Registered
I just completed a lift/tire-wheel project on my 1st gen V with good results. I kept it moderate. 2" lift, 225/70 tires on 16" rims. I might go a little shorter on the tires like a 225/60 or 65 if I had to do it over again.

Registered
Btw I put noticeably larger tires on and it's wasn't a life ending change nor did I have to lift mine.

225/70r16 Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S. As long as springs and struts are newer, won't have much issue. If older just lift the back 3/4" (or for spacers easy to find in 20mm which is 1mm more than 3/4")

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
that looks nice !!! congrats !
keep us updated how the car works and if any issues accrues with trans or joints

Registered
After having the alignment checked/adjusted, nothing noticeable in the drivability. No noticeable lose in power, even with the AT. Just keep in mind that the speedo will read lower than actual with the larger diameter tires. About 5 mph lower @ 55 mph, in this case (or 10%). It's simple math to figure out the delta in your specific case.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
5 Participants
BrewByBill
Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums
Honda CR-V Owners Club forum, the best hang-out to discuss CVT, Hybrids, trim levels and all things CR-V
Full Forum Listing