Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The worst think I can say about my ‘01 is that it takes it’s time. I’ve never gotten a ticket in Little Red because he won’t let me go that fast.

That said, short of turbos, is there an easy DIY method of getting better power?
I’m not looking for huge gains and I don’t want to compromise the reliability of the drive train. I just want better response on the highway and maybe a little more juice from stop light to stop light.

Thanks!

ABQ Rob

·
Registered
2014 CRV EX-L FWD
360 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, Wrascal, Little Red’s tip-top. I should have phrased my statement differently. What I meant to say is the car’s power makes me take my time. Little Red’s never in a hurry, HOWEVER it will get up and go when I need it. Keeping highway speed isn’t an issue. I’d just like to improve passing power.
Thanks for the link! I’ll check it out

Unless there is something seriously wrong with Little Red then he should be able to exceed every posted speed limit in the USA. When was his last complete tune-up? Here's a starter towards possible improvement

Be happy that after 18 years he's still running; give him some TLC.

·
Registered
'98 EX AWD
323 Posts
Given your's is already a B20Z, (better cams and IM) there's not a lot you can do short of spending decent money. The Integra LS (B18B) has a better flowing exhaust manifold then the bottle-necked B20 manifold. Cheap and easy upgrade you can do.

·
Registered
7 Posts
No, Wrascal, Little Red’s tip-top. I should have phrased my statement differently. What I meant to say is the car’s power makes me take my time. Little Red’s never in a hurry, HOWEVER it will get up and go when I need it. Keeping highway speed isn’t an issue. I’d just like to improve passing power.
Thanks for the link! I’ll check it out

Unless there is something seriously wrong with Little Red then he should be able to exceed every posted speed limit in the USA. When was his last complete tune-up? Here's a starter towards possible improvement

Be happy that after 18 years he's still running; give him some TLC.
Given your's is already a B20Z, (better cams and IM) there's not a lot you can do short of spending decent money. The Integra LS (B18B) has a better flowing exhaust manifold then the bottle-necked B20 manifold. Cheap and easy upgrade you can do.
This isn't inexpensive, but it is one of the simpler things you can do with a B series engine, particularly a B20. The CRV got the biggest engine of the B family, but also got the only one without any VTEC options. Due to the significant weight difference between the CRV and the Civic/Integra, I find this to be a design flaw.

What i am suggesting is getting the head from a B16 or B18 and slapping it on your B20Z to get that high efficiency VTEC kick in passing gear. And if you're interested, over time, you can change the Exhaust and intake manifolds for aftermarket headers made for the B18 for increased air flow for just a tad more power.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts