Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting P1072 Code on 2003 Honda CRV

1K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  AlpineMt 
#1 · (Edited)
I have had this code intermittently on my Honda for 2 years now. I originally went to Autozone and they plugged their diagnostic tool for this code and said it could be one of 3 things:

1. IMRC Valve stuck short
2. Open or short circuit
3. Failed IMRC actuator.

I was also getting a check engine light (I was told by a mechanic) for the gas cap. I have replaced the gas cap twice until I realized the gas station attendants are not always turning the cap till it clicks 5 times.

I mention the gas cap issue because when the check engine light was periodically coming on and off I seemed to be able to remedy it by removing and reinstalling the gas cap with 5 clicks.

I bought one of those engine diagnostic tools that reads computer codes but it turns out it doesn't include codes above 1000. I mention this because in my car history it doesn't show any other codes on my car (such as gas cap). Perhaps some mechanic erased them after prior work completed?

Anyways, I watched a Youtube video on the IMRC valves showing how they can get gummed up under cold climates. I definitely live in a cold climate during the winter. Is there any gas additive I can use that will clean out the imrc valves without taking this all apart?

This whole job looks to be above my experience level so I'm basically looking for advice on any easy to do things I could try before taking the car to the dealership to have it fixed. Thanks in advance for your help.

See less See more
#2 ·
A sticking IMRC valve is common.

But the first step should be #3, to replace the control solenoid, which is much easier. (Honda published a TSB in this regard way back when)

It is located on the front-right side of the engine.

In the future, periodically hold the car in a lower gear and do some runs up to higher RPMs (4000+). That will keep the IMRC 'limber'.

If you can't find the part # on an online Honda parts dealer, post back.

#3 ·
A sticking IMRC valve is common.

But the first step should be #3, to replace the control solenoid, which is much easier. (Honda published a TSB in this regard way back when)

It is located on the front-right side of the engine.

In the future, periodically hold the car in a lower gear and do some runs up to higher RPMs (4000+). That will keep the IMRC 'limber'.

If you can't find the part # on an online Honda parts dealer, post back.
Thanks Carbuff2 for your reply! I'm still a novice mechanic. What is a TSB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.