Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

We are new to the club... We just bought the 2016 Honda CRV EX-L AWD. And it has 2600 miles so far. We love everything about the car except the mileage... Previously owned a 2004 Honda CRV EX-L Silver Metallic and loved everything about the car! It was a beauty!! However, with this new 2016 Honda CRV EX-L AWD we are not getting anywhere near the combined 27 miles/gallon mileage... What could be wrong? I drive in a mix of city and highway miles and drives an avg. of 44 miles/day. There is a lot of stop and go traffic for about 8-10 miles, but otherwise its highway. I use regular gas and usually do not drive more than 60-65 miles. Please advice why I'm getting so low mileage... Is it the cold weather? We are in the east coast new England area... Is it my driving or something else. Should I check with the dealer about this? Please advice... Any help is much appreciated. Thanks much in advance
-S:)

·
Registered
2022 CRV EX FWD 2013 CRV EX FWD
3,019 Posts
Cold weather plus the stop and go traffic is probably the culprit. Plus, they are using winter gas right now too.

·
Banned
806 Posts
A combination of winter blend gas, your driving habits and letting your car warm up for long periods of time. I notice my gas mileage drop every winter. I also see it drop when my wife drives my CR-V. And when I let it idle in the morning, which it doesn't really need. Just start it, and drive it easy until it is warmed up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A combination of winter blend gas, your driving habits and letting your car warm up for long periods of time. I notice my gas mileage drop every winter. I also see it drop when my wife drives my CR-V. And when I let it idle in the morning, which it doesn't really need. Just start it, and drive it easy until it is warmed up.
Thanks. Yes we do remote start to ease the cold interior in the morning for 10-15 mins. I think that makes sense. Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thanks. Yes we do remote start to ease the cold interior in the morning for 10-15 mins. I think that makes sense. Thanks for the reply!
There’s the main culprit. If possible, don’t idle that long just to warm up. Anywhere between 30 secs and 1 min is sufficient. Then just go easy on the gas until the engine temperature gets up into the optimum range.
The car will warm up faster and you won’t be wasting all that gas idling.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We have been driving our CRV for 7 months now. We are now getting approx. 27 miles in mixed driving and approx. 31 on long trips. As advised from this thread we did stop using remote start. Also it has now 12161 miles so far. Thank you all!

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
We have been driving our CRV for 7 months now. We are now getting approx. 27 miles in mixed driving and approx. 31 on long trips. As advised from this thread we did stop using remote start. Also it has now 12161 miles so far. Thank you all!
I live in the country with little traffic and I get a mile or two better. My friend lives in town, has both a 15 and a 16 CRV and he gets the same fuel mileage you report. I bought mine with 6,800 miles on it and I reset trip B to zero when I got it. I now have about 14,000 miles on it and with the trips I have taken, my overall average since I bought it just reached 30 at the end of a 800 mile trip last week. I am pleased with everything about my EX-L.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I get really poor highway mileage...the 'sticker' said 33mpg, I usually get about 25.5. Tires are new and properly inflated, and the 'winter gas' excuse (below) is a hoax...the 'winter blend' does not decease efficiency by 23%. Honda needs to come out with a fix for this, as it smacks of the same sort of 'software cheating' that got VW into so much trouble.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I get really poor highway mileage...the 'sticker' said 33mpg, I usually get about 25.5. Tires are new and properly inflated, and the 'winter gas' excuse (below) is a hoax...the 'winter blend' does not decease efficiency by 23%. Honda needs to come out with a fix for this, as it smacks of the same sort of 'software cheating' that got VW into so much trouble.
How fast are you going? What kind of fuel are you using? There are factors that weigh in to fuel consumption

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Winter blend fuel is not a hoax (not sure what online scam page convinced you of this) but it alone does NOT cost 23% fuel mileage.

That combined with cold temps can. Add in driving habits etc. 33mpg highway is 55-60mph cruising speed, cruise set, no heat or AC on (all climate control off) windows up. Radio and lights are about the only things that can be on without a noticeable effect on fuel mileage. Heater can be with fan on low settings, set to panel or floor only so AC system isnt engaged.

Heated seats and so on work the alternator, so now your doubling the work load.

You turn on the defrost it engages the AC system and there goes 10-15% of your fuel economy right there. Drive at 70+ down the highway there goes another few percent and so on.

So many people expect to get EPA rated mileage while driving like a$$holes and every accessory switch in the vehicle maxed out. Then whine when gas mileage drops 20% or more in the colder months.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
You have to drive it the same way the government does when they're testing it.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/why_differ.shtml

My best for my 2014 CR-V EX was 32 mpg over 400 miles. But I tend to drive 60-65 MPH on the highway, even if the speed limit is 70 MPH. A CR-V is a big, square box. The faster you go, the more energy you lose due to wind drag.

I checked fueleconomy.gov and they have this link for 2017-2018 CR-Vs with AWD:

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/mpg/MPG.do?action=browseList2&make=Honda&model=CR-V AWD

And this link for 2016 and earlier "4WD" CR-Vs:

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/mpg/MPG.do?action=browseList2&make=Honda&model=CR-V 4WD

FWD/2WD versions get slightly better fuel mileage than the AWD/RT4WD versions.

Gasoline that contains ethanol contains less energy, which means reduced fuel mileage:

fueleconomy.gov said:
EPA's test fuel does not currently contain any ethanol or other oxygenates, but EPA does adjust their estimates to account for the impact of low-level ethanol blends. Ethanol contains about one-third less energy per gallon than gasoline. So, a car operating on 10% ethanol would achieve about 3% lower fuel economy than it would on 100% gasoline. EPA currently reduces all fuel economy test values by about 10% to account for ethanol in gasoline and other factors such as wind, hills, and road conditions.

Later this decade, EPA is phasing-in a requirement to change our federal emissions test fuel to include 10% ethanol by volume.
For more on EPA fuel economy tests, visit: https://nepis.epa.gov/Exe/ZyPURL.cgi?Dockey=P100IENB.txt

And if you look at my signature my fuelly graphic shows I'm averaging 22.5 MPG, which makes sense when you consider I don't get out on the freeway much, and live about 5 miles from where I work, so most of my driving is stop-and-go city streets.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I believe Tigris is spot on. I think there are very few cases where a regularly maintained CRV produced the last few years would be at fault for poor consumption. Give the cars good conditions, and they will reward you. I've gotten 44 mpg out of my '15, and then 5 months later got 14 mpg. And I don't for a second blame the car for getting 14 mpg.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
4,073 Posts
As a 16 AWD CRV owner think my best was a 34. Deliberately filled up a mile from highway and filled up less than a mile off highway 150 or so miles later. 25 is also perfectly possible. Worse is possible to.
All depends on your driving, distances driven, temperature, ac or heater use, remote start use.

Use the mpg screen on your usage and how it affects mpg.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts