Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Just not sure if I am making the right move to replace my 98 CRV with a Honda Element !
My CRV runs like a champ, great gas mileage, runs perfect, no issues, does not cost much
to maintain, but was thinking of something a bit larger for the family. Would appreciate any
feedback on this matter, since I know very little about the Honda Element. Thanks in advance
Honda4fun

Registered
2017 CRV EX AWD
I had a 2005 Element when they had just came out & a 2010 also and my mother had the final year they made them. Great truck, never had one issue with them, for a larger family they are hit and miss. we couldn't do a center mounted car seat which is why we traded in our 2010 for an RDX but if you have 2 older kids or less its good.... if you get used to the suicide doors

Registered
Element is a 4-seater.

Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
I wouldn't see an Element as a bigger car than the CRV. Kinda makes me want to go check the dimensions to see how wrong I am!!!!

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
I had a 2005 Element when they had just came out & a 2010 also and my mother had the final year they made them. Great truck, never had one issue with them, for a larger family they are hit and miss. we couldn't do a center mounted car seat which is why we traded in our 2010 for an RDX but if you have 2 older kids or less its good.... if you get used to the suicide doors
Thanks so much boosted !

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
I wouldn't see an Element as a bigger car than the CRV. Kinda makes me want to go check the dimensions to see how wrong I am!!!!
Thanks Rocky it just seems bigger, someone today said they are really under powered .

Registered
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
A CR-V of any year is a better family car than an Element.

The CR-V has 4 normal doors. The Element has two suicide doors, and the front door must be open before you can open the back door, so kids riding in the back are trapped until whoever is in front opens their door.

The CR-V also seats 5 instead of 4.

Registered
I am currently driving a French minivan. We left the CR-V home because there's soooo much more room in a minivan. So with three kids the CR-V cannot be considered a family car. It's passable but you have to pack well. Yesterday I just threw our fullsize stroller plus luggage for five in the back and there was plenty of space left. In the CR-V the rear visibility would be limited already.

Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
The Element is basically the exact same thing as a CR-V. It has the same powertrain and suspension, just a different shape that gives it more interior volume. But not more seating capacity, just more cargo volume. Elements remained available with a manual transmission, and I almost bought an '08. But the miles were too high for his price. The Element is noisier inside with that rubber interior, but is much more versatile for camping and weekend outings, as well as more and larger cargo. Other negatives include a more vertical and more easily broken windshield. But as far is being underpowered? No. The Element weighs just a little more - that's it. It may feel more sluggish, but that is mainly a perception due to visual aspects when driving it, as it is a bit more boxy and less aerodynamic. If you really need more passenger capacity, you'll have to move up to an Odyssey or Pilot, which, with the V6 and added size and weight, will cost you in terms of fuel mileage. Plus, those vehicles have hosts of their own issues, like transmissions and sliding doors, etc. But they also have loyal owners. The Odyssey is much more comfortable and quiet and has scads more room and features, and is probably the best bet for a herd of midgets. :giggle:

Registered
The Element is basically the exact same thing as a CR-V. It has the same powertrain and suspension, just a different shape that gives it more interior volume.
Same thing as a 2nd Gen CR-V as it has a K24 2.4L engine, not the B20 of the 2001 and earlier CR-Vs.
And the large boxy shape of the Element means it gets slightly lower fuel mileage than a CR-V with the same powertrain.

They are, however, cool looking vehicles. :cool:
I've always like the Sunset Orange Pearl color of the earlier elements, and the Root Beer Metallic of the later years.

Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
That burnt orange color has been popular here in Austin - it's UT colors. I like the root beer color too, but it's rare. I looked at two Elements. One was the '08 with AWD and the manual trans, but it had 150k on it and was black (not a good idea for Texas summers). I almost bought a 2011 silver AT AWD model with 90k miles on it. It was pristine. I hesitated one day too long. Dangit!

Registered
I regularly search for I an automatic Element regardless the color. I would just wrap it to anything suitable. But there's none available.

Registered
I had a 2003 Element.

It was horrible with fuel mileage (I believe they changed the transmission in '05) and has a < 6" ground clearance.

I live in snow country and got stuck several times (studdedNokian Hakkapeliitta tires) due to the L O W clearance.

OTOH I did like it but outgrew it in four years and 54,000 miles.

Best of luck to you.

Registered
@mrtn - I think there are two in used car lots I pass regularly...but your drive home might be a problem. ;D

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
I had a 2003 Element.

It was horrible with fuel mileage (I believe they changed the transmission in '05) and has a < 6" ground clearance.

I live in snow country and got stuck several times (studdedNokian Hakkapeliitta tires) due to the L O W clearance.

OTOH I did like it but outgrew it in four years and 54,000 miles.

Best of luck to you.
Thanks so much, still looking !

1 - 20 of 27 Posts