Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the more expensive EX-L comes with a lighted glove compartment? I mean the one in the bottom of course. Really miss having a light, may be cost saving by Honda chopped off this feature...?

Don't think it should be all that difficult installing a push switch, a light, and run a wire somewhere along the head lights wiring or fuse box. I thought that the right side ceiling mounted light would "shed some light" but it doesn't, Honda has left us in total darkness....

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oookaaaaay.... If one were to go to an on-line Honda parts store, inquisitive mind want to know, what parts to order, but b4 that, is it doable? Buying all the hardware from an 09 to light up a 2010?
Thank you!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have a 08 EX-L, no glove light.
I stand corrected. While changing my cabin air filter today I noticed that the glove box does have a light but the bulb never worked from day one. I will be changing the bulb tomorrow.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Oookaaaaay.... If one were to go to an on-line Honda parts store, inquisitive mind want to know, what parts to order, but b4 that, is it doable? Buying all the hardware from an 09 to light up a 2010?
Thank you!
Look up part #34254-SWA-003. My next pproject.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does the more expensive EX-L comes with a lighted glove compartment? I mean the one in the bottom of course. Really miss having a light, may be cost saving by Honda chopped off this feature...?

Don't think it should be all that difficult installing a push switch, a light, and run a wire somewhere along the head lights wiring or fuse box. I thought that the right side ceiling mounted light would "shed some light" but it doesn't, Honda has left us in total darkness....
I have the same question - I purchased a top of the line CR-V. It doesn't come with glove compartment light either. I brought my car back to the dealer for 1st service (6,000mi) & told them the light was out. BUT, they told me NONE of any Honda has that light to make me feel better ???
wow, I told them I never owner a car w/o it !!!!
The guy told me to use the overhead light.

Don't understand at all the logic behind this for Honda engineers....

-Joe

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have the same question - I purchased a top of the line CR-V. It doesn't come with glove compartment light either. I brought my car back to the dealer for 1st service (6,000mi) & told them the light was out. BUT, they told me NONE of any Honda has that light to make me feel better ???
wow, I told them I never owner a car w/o it !!!!
The guy told me to use the overhead light.

Don't understand at all the logic behind this for Honda engineers....

-Joe
I installed a glove box light in the CRV. Anyone interested in photos and a quick write up?

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Of course, shed some light my friend!

·
Registered
345 Posts
I will add photos later.

The 1st pic shows the switch that I used. Link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Limited-Micro-Normal-Off-N-C-N-O-Momentary-Switch-MS1-/170711129668?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27bf2d1e44
The 2nd pic shows the led motorcycle license plate lights that I used. I thought about LED strip lights, but I tried this light to find out if it was any good. Link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-Car-Motorcycle-White-SMD-LED-License-Plate-Stud-Screw-Bolt-Light-Lamp-/370650579483?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item564c7f021b
The 3rd pic shows the 1" cable clamps that I used to attach the lights to the tube in the dashboard. Link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/250934567241?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
It helps to remove the glove box. Unhook the glove box as if you are going to change the cabin filter. There are 2 Phillips head screws on the bottom of the glove box that hold it in the dash.
I ran a fuse wire from #37 on the fuse block to the switch location, do not wire a lamp without a fuse. #37 (on a 2013) is 'hot' all the time, pick the power tap that you like. You may have to splice the fuse wire to make it longer.
The switch location has sheet metal behind plastic and is thick, a step drill will not work here. Drilling is the hardest part of this project. Be careful drilling, because there is a plastic box for the A/C behind this location that you will not want to damage. I started with a 1/8" drill and held the drill with two hands to limit it's penetration. I then used a 3/16" drill, and then a 1/4" etc. The final size that I used was 7/16". If you start with a large drill it can catch on the sheet metal and pull the drill into the plastic A/C box and damage it, better to go in small steps and keep control. You could also use a rat tail (round) file after drilling to 3/8". I put a rag on the floor to catch the bits from the drilling.
I then slipped the cable clamps over the tube that has the glove box latch. Take the nuts and washers off of the lights and thread the wires through the cable clamps and screw the lights through the cable clamps and attach the nuts to the lights. Position the lights and wires where you want them and hold them in place using wire ties. See pic.
Use a multi-meter or a test light to determine which lug on the switch will be 'on' with the button out. Pull the fuse from the fuse wire and solder the wire to the 'common' lug on the switch. Solder the positive wire from the LEDs to the proper lug on the switch. You may need to splice wires to make them longer. I used shrink tubing to insulate all solder joints, I think it works better than tape. Put shrink tubing on the unused switch lug as it will be 'hot' when the glove box door is closed. Route the negative wire from the LEDs to a convenient ground. I used my multi-meter to find a threaded stud for a ground nearby.

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm new here. I just leased a 2019 EX L 2 days ago. I didnt notice it had no glovebox light! I called my salesman and he told me " maybe the plunger is stuck." I took a flashlight, looked into the glovebox and there was a hole where the light should be. I also noticed there was no ambient lighting. I couldn't believe a vehicle at that price didn't have these simple (and expected) features. I noticed you mentioned a top and bottom glove box or I misread that? I only have one glovebox. I found a Honda accessory website that gives the prices. Should I pay to have these features installed? I've owned much cheaper vehicles that automatically came with these features. Now that I vented I feel better. Thanks.

·
2,215 Posts
t
I will add photos later.

The 1st pic shows the switch that I used. Link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Limited-Micro-Normal-Off-N-C-N-O-Momentary-Switch-MS1-/170711129668?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27bf2d1e44
The 2nd pic shows the led motorcycle license plate lights that I used. I thought about LED strip lights, but I tried this light to find out if it was any good. Link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-Car-Motorcycle-White-SMD-LED-License-Plate-Stud-Screw-Bolt-Light-Lamp-/370650579483?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item564c7f021b
The 3rd pic shows the 1" cable clamps that I used to attach the lights to the tube in the dashboard. Link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/250934567241?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
It helps to remove the glove box. Unhook the glove box as if you are going to change the cabin filter. There are 2 Phillips head screws on the bottom of the glove box that hold it in the dash.
I ran a fuse wire from #37 on the fuse block to the switch location, do not wire a lamp without a fuse. #37 (on a 2013) is 'hot' all the time, pick the power tap that you like. You may have to splice the fuse wire to make it longer.
The switch location has sheet metal behind plastic and is thick, a step drill will not work here. Drilling is the hardest part of this project. Be careful drilling, because there is a plastic box for the A/C behind this location that you will not want to damage. I started with a 1/8" drill and held the drill with two hands to limit it's penetration. I then used a 3/16" drill, and then a 1/4" etc. The final size that I used was 7/16". If you start with a large drill it can catch on the sheet metal and pull the drill into the plastic A/C box and damage it, better to go in small steps and keep control. You could also use a rat tail (round) file after drilling to 3/8". I put a rag on the floor to catch the bits from the drilling.
I then slipped the cable clamps over the tube that has the glove box latch. Take the nuts and washers off of the lights and thread the wires through the cable clamps and screw the lights through the cable clamps and attach the nuts to the lights. Position the lights and wires where you want them and hold them in place using wire ties. See pic.
Use a multi-meter or a test light to determine which lug on the switch will be 'on' with the button out. Pull the fuse from the fuse wire and solder the wire to the 'common' lug on the switch. Solder the positive wire from the LEDs to the proper lug on the switch. You may need to splice wires to make them longer. I used shrink tubing to insulate all solder joints, I think it works better than tape. Put shrink tubing on the unused switch lug as it will be 'hot' when the glove box door is closed. Route the negative wire from the LEDs to a convenient ground. I used my multi-meter to find a threaded stud for a ground nearby.
The second link, the one to the lights, doesn't work. Good idea, though, a custom job. Interestingly, the OP does not specify year model.

However, I have a Gen3 '07 EX-L. Here is the factory parts for the glove box light, which should fit all Gen3's, though if yours didn't come with it, it may also not have the wires, but you could run them yourself, to the fuse box, if needed. Part #1 in the list is the bulb, and part #2 is the light fixture, which includes the on-off push button switch. Also, this could, with a little ingenuity, likely be made to work in any year, I would think. At $13 for the fixture, and add an LED bulb ( I think it's a 168), it would be cheap, too, even if you had to wire it in. Here's the link:

https://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts-list/2007-honda-cr-v-5dr_ex-l_4wd-ka-5at/instrument-panel-garnish-passenger-side.html?PNC=9

·
2,215 Posts
I have a 08 EX-L, no glove light.
I stand corrected. While changing my cabin air filter today I noticed that the glove box does have a light but the bulb never worked from day one. I will be changing the bulb tomorrow.
My '02 has a glovebox light, but the glovebox doesn't close far enough to trigger the OFF switch - so it's burned out.
If you can't re-align the door to hit the switch properly enough to push it in far enough, you could probably get one of those little rubber bumper stick-on feet to take up the gap, and stick it on the inside of the door where it would hit the switch button.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts