Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Test driving a 2015 CRV (53k miles) from a private seller. It's a two owner vehicle
(1st) owner leased it for 1yr10months and drove lightly
(2nd) owner and seller I'm meetings owned it for 14 months and already driven over 40k miles. Carfax shows no maintenance history for this current high mileage owner. She said shes moving doesn't need it anymore and doesn't have maintenance records throughout the past year but says shes taken in for oil changes ect... So basically word of mouth. My question is worst case scenario it was not well maintained throughout her high mileage year of ownership, could one year of driving like this create a lemon situation or decrease its life span for me? I plan on getting a thorough PPI, will this be enough to tell if its been taken care of?. It's a great deal compared to dealerships in my area so would love to pull the trigger. My initial thought was the car is young enough and it's Honda so 1 year of high mileage driving shouldn't hurt. But would love some feedback on what you would do in this situation.

PS There's also a 2013 CRV with 63k miles at a dealership for the same price (2 yrs older and a tad more miles) with a meticulous service record history sold as certified vehicle in past ect..that I"m wondering if I should just play it safe and get. Private seller just seems like so much more car for the price.

Any thoughts??

·
Registered
22 Posts
Test driving a 2015 CRV (53k miles) from a private seller. It's a two owner vehicle
(1st) owner leased it for 1yr10months and drove lightly
(2nd) owner and seller I'm meetings owned it for 14 months and already driven over 40k miles. Carfax shows no maintenance history for this current high mileage owner. She said shes moving doesn't need it anymore and doesn't have maintenance records throughout the past year but says shes taken in for oil changes ect... So basically word of mouth. My question is worst case scenario it was not well maintained throughout her high mileage year of ownership, could one year of driving like this create a lemon situation or decrease its life span for me? I plan on getting a thorough PPI, will this be enough to tell if its been taken care of?. It's a great deal compared to dealerships in my area so would love to pull the trigger. My initial thought was the car is young enough and it's Honda so 1 year of high mileage driving shouldn't hurt. But would love some feedback on what you would do in this situation.

PS There's also a 2013 CRV with 63k miles at a dealership for the same price (2 yrs older and a tad more miles) with a meticulous service record history sold as certified vehicle in past ect..that I"m wondering if I should just play it safe and get. Private seller just seems like so much more car for the price.

Any thoughts??
Too much coin for such a gamble. Should be some type of maintenance history for piece of mind. I’ve heard horror stories about people who never changed their oil, and the engine that used to be. The 15 is a great car w the newer powertrain but would punt on that one unless u can get some proof it was maintained somewhat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Ya real easy proof, take the oil cap off and shine a flashlight down in the engine. If your seeing the yellow stained metal then your fine. If you see nothing but black sludge then it wasn't maintained.

Pull the dipsticks and look at the oil and trans fluid. If the oil is really black and thick there is a problem. If you can see the marks on the dipstick through it then your fine. Trans fluid if it's about the same color as new stuff in a bottle then your fine. If it's black or brown run away

Not rocket science here.

Those that bought cars that never had the oil changed got what they deserved cause they didn't bother to check the most basic things. Be lazy then that's what you get.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for reply...I don't know sh** about cars, but think I can manage the checks you mentioned. Also can I be confident if the PPI comes back ok that this car was decently maintained? The PPI I have an appt for is a 150pt $150 PPI, not sure exactly if this measures how well the car was maintained or just current issues or leaks.

·
Registered
2013 CRV EX FWD
2,922 Posts
Go with the 2013. Maintenance records alone make it worth it. Mine has 65k miles and has been trouble free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
The 2015 sounds exactly like my 2016 with 51,000+ miles on it. The first owner kept is 5 or 6 months and drove it 6,000 miles before I bought it. I have kept the service up to date but I do it all myself. The last oil change I didn't do myself was on the first oil change of my new 2004 F-150 only because the original filters on Ford's are very hard to remove. I do keep a record on the Honda Owners website. An examination of the dipstick and looking inside and at the oil cap will give a good indication of how it has been serviced.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My two cents is the 13 and 15 are entirely different beasts. I’ve owned both and the 15 is more refined. Of course, you need to be on board w CVT but it is a more pleasant and peppier driving experience all around. Also dig the improved steering. Was a really good mid year refresh for the CRV....vibration concerns notwithstanding, but they worked it out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Going to test drive the 2015 and get the PPI tomorrow, owner ended up able to pull maintenance records, not sure what they look like but they said they had them all which is comforting, wish me luck!

·
Registered
2013 CRV EX FWD
2,922 Posts
Going to test drive the 2015 and get the PPI tomorrow, owner ended up able to pull maintenance records, not sure what they look like but they said they had them all which is comforting, wish me luck!
How did it go?

·
Registered
2016 CR-V EX-L
163 Posts
Do you think a successful PPI is proof enough that is was maintained?
Of all the things that a PPI does providing proof that it was maintained is probably down on the list a ways. That is just my opinion as while the inspection will provide a glimpse into the overall condition it would be relatively easy to have recently changed one of the major fluid groups which would give the impression of decent maintenance when in fact it may have been the first time the oil was changed in 15K miles. There are a number of other things that the PPI provides:

https://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/inspect-that-used-car-before-buying.html

1 - 14 of 14 Posts