Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm trying to buy a used CR-V. I spotted one in a dealer (trade-in), a 2005 CR-V Special Edition, Pewter Pearl with black leather interior. The dealer listed it for $9500 a month back. I looked at the Autocheck and Carfax reports, they show no accidents, fleet use or auction sales. It has 3 owners, and carfax shows maintenance records every 5-10k miles. The interior is a little bit rough with a small tear on the driver seat. When it was originally listed, I tried haggling and they wouldn't budge. However, now the dealer seems desperate to reach year end figures, so I went again yesterday and seriously low balled at $5000. They said no way, so I left but later they came back and we haggled for a few hours and finally they told me they will sell it for $7k.

I'll definitely take it to a mechanic, but wanted to get an opinion on if this is a good price or not?

Thanks a lot in advance!

·
Registered
442 Posts
103k miles is nothing on a CRV, so if it has been well maintained, go for it ! Did you check in autotrader for average prices in your area ? Try to get them to do all fluid changes if they have not done so yet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
103k miles is nothing on a CRV, so if it has been well maintained, go for it ! Did you check in autotrader for average prices in your area ? Try to get them to do all fluid changes if they have not done so yet.
Thanks vhercules. I did check autotrader, cars.com and car gurus. Other vehicles are all listed at 8.5k or above. I'm not sure how much they were sold for though. I tried kbb, nada etc and they all show different pricing. The lowest is edmunds TMV private party clean condition which is about 7k.
I find the price is high for a 11 year old car
Thanks downloader. How much do you think it is worth?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Thanks vhercules. I did check autotrader, cars.com and car gurus. Other vehicles are all listed at 8.5k or above. I'm not sure how much they were sold for though. I tried kbb, nada etc and they all show different pricing. The lowest is edmunds TMV private party clean condition which is about 7k.
so looks like price is about right at around 7K. I would suggest go for it if you see all maintenance records up to date. try to get dealer to change fluids if they have not been recently changed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd say that's one hell of a deal with low miles like that. Plus, it will last you a really long time.
Thanks Coastie05. I too thought it was a good price because my recent experience in our local Craigslist has been that the 2005 CRVs and RAV4s get more than KBB good value and gets sold very quickly (tried a few private parties to bring down the price but no one would!).

so looks like price is about right at around 7K. I would suggest go for it if you see all maintenance records up to date. try to get dealer to change fluids if they have not been recently changed.
I agree with you that believe Edmunds TMV is probably the fair value, but no one around here sells for less than KBB value (which I know are inflated). Especially the 2.5g CRVs.

Yes, I'll make sure the fluids have been changed recently. I've fixed an appointment at a highly rated independent mechanic to check the vehicle out. Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would say they paid about $4500 for it, they have to made a profit. If you really like the car go for it, but try to get another $500 off. Its the slow season for sales. Good luck
I tried the KBB instant trade-in tool, and it shows $5000 for my zip code with this VIN and mileage. But I agree they must have paid around $4500 for this trade-in. Unfortunately how much they paid doesn't really matter for how much they would sell it for especially when every other dealer and private parties in my local market is selling these for above 8k. I did try to get the price down, but they won't budge. The 2005/06 SEs are rare in my market (have only seen two in craigslist which were sold with 120k+ miles for 8500+, tried to haggle but they were gone the next day; dealers have sold them for 9k+). This is definitely the slow season, but I think it will pick up pretty soon once tax refunds start showing up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Update as promised: took it to an independent mechanic who checked out everything and gave the green flag. So I went ahead with the purchase after making the dealer change all the fluids. Hoping to keep it for a long time! :)

The rise of startups such as Beepi and DriveShift have made it much harder to get a good deal as a buyer in my area unfortunately.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Update as promised: took it to an independent mechanic who checked out everything and gave the green flag. So I went ahead with the purchase after making the dealer change all the fluids. Hoping to keep it for a long time! :)

The rise of startups such as Beepi and DriveShift have made it much harder to get a good deal as a buyer in my area unfortunately.
Congratualtions on the purchase. Let's see some pics of her!!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Congratulations, that is a great way to start the new year.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts