Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day all,

I Bought my 2018 CR-V EX in March. We were a family of 3 then got an addition. Shortly after the addition (my wife and I never satin the back before) we found out that the rear seat belt is stupid. The car only safely transports 4 persons. The seat belt arrangement is backwards and will not lay flat/correctly for the middle seat and the driver rear seat. I did some searching and could not find a recall or any information on rectifying this problem. Honda falsely advertise the car as "possible 5 persons." They for got to add the statement that yes it's possible, but also illegal since all occupants wont have a correctly functional seat belt.

Can anyone link me or shoot me into the right direction on how to safely have my car transport 5 passengers?

Thanks
Thangbom

·
Registered
467 Posts
Why is it illegal? All my previous vehicles have the rear seatbelts like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
607 Posts
Good day all,

Can anyone link me or shoot me into the right direction on how to safely have my car transport 5 passengers?

Thanks
Thangbom
The Owner's Manual would be a good start.

Don't worry it will comfortably transport 5 much larger than average adults for at least a few hundred miles at a time. We've done it many times.

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
4,942 Posts
He must be new.

·
Registered
741 Posts
For the US, I believe the center seat belt retracting into the headliner has been the design since Gen1. Does anybody do any research before purchasing a vehicle?

·
Registered
2013 CRV EX FWD
2,914 Posts
You're going to have to go back there and figure it out. Your manual should have guidance though. It sucks that it took almost a year of ownership to figure this out and not at the test drive. Lesson learned I'm sure....

·
Registered
467 Posts
I believe he is talking about the buckles at the bottom crossing over...
And all vehicles I believe have this happen in the backseat. Even my previous ‘12 CR-V, ‘05 Highlander, ‘93 Altima, and ‘86 Cutlass Supreme has this. My parents ‘05 Camry, brother’s ‘17 Civic Sport Touring and my sister’s ‘16 Civic has this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
172 Posts
This is the very first Honda (with belt from headliner) I've seen with the crossover problem.

·
Registered
607 Posts
When we first got our CRV the headliner storage and the crossover belt anchor thing really annoyed us. Although we never actually tried it out, we just thought the whole setup was kludgy. A few months later we went to the airport to pickup our 6'2" son and our 5'8" and 5'6" granddaughters. My wife is also 5'8" and I am 6'1", I used to be 6'3" and weigh 200 lbs but you know.
Anyhow everybody got in after getting all the luggage, which fit easily. Nobody said anything negative about any aspect of the rear seat and two of them were teenage girls. Later that week my son and I did some experimenting. We discovered that if the first rear passenger buckles up behind the driver, it becomes even easier. And the center seat belt can just hang there for weeks on end.

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
4,942 Posts
Correct on the Gen 1 for sure the biggest complaint back then was I got this noise can not isolate it. was the top seat belt Once you situated it the problem solved.

From memory it also acts as a baby seat clip. I believe .

so if you're talkingabout the base dig deep maybe you are missing that third belt./ and also did some one in a video or Honda say 7 pass two child seats to the rear....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No, I'm not new to car and don't have to defend myself. The problem is once the middle seat belt is latched, the part that would lap over the passengers waist will have to cross over the rear driver sides seat belt. This will in turn twist both middle and rear drivers seat belt and not lay flat. Yes you can ride around like this and most likely not get into any trouble. however, IMO it's bad design from Honda.

My biggest gripe is when a baby seat is used. It's impossible to transport more than 4 passengers safely with the odd seat belt layout. It is impossible or near impossible to buckle the rear driver side seat belt. I am unable to link a site or picture at this time but if you look up 2017 rear seat belt The Car Seat Lady or similar, you will see my dilemma.

Thangbom

·
Registered
20 Posts
No, I'm not new to car and don't have to defend myself. The problem is once the middle seat belt is latched, the part that would lap over the passengers waist will have to cross over the rear driver sides seat belt. This will in turn twist both middle and rear drivers seat belt and not lay flat. Yes you can ride around like this and most likely not get into any trouble. however, IMO it's bad design from Honda.

My biggest gripe is when a baby seat is used. It's impossible to transport more than 4 passengers safely with the odd seat belt layout. It is impossible or near impossible to buckle the rear driver side seat belt. I am unable to link a site or picture at this time but if you look up 2017 rear seat belt The Car Seat Lady or similar, you will see my dilemma.

Thangbom
I agree! The mechanism you latch the seatbelt on the rear drivers side needs to be flipped 180 degrees.

This isn't the first forum I've seen this mentioned, but I never looked for a fix.

·
Registered
86 Posts
i would love a fix for this...even if it cost me some money. i just wouldn't want to flip the belt around and cause a new safety issue. supposedly, the Acura RDX assembly would work...i just don't know what would be involved in swapping these parts properly (i am assuming they are just attached with some bolts?)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Gahh! Every time I go to the back seat to get my baby out I shake my head. Who would design such a flawed and dumb safety feature. I thought the cross over lap belt was bad. It's worst with a baby seat/base! I mean, the center back seat is the safest place to in the car. This is where I put my baby seat base. Geez, with the baby seat/base in the center position of the rear seat, the rear driver side buckle is blocked and usable. So my vehicle is now a 4 person vehicle unless I put my baby in the outer seat position, which is still a pain for the person to in the middle back. That person would still have a heck of a time buckling up.

Here is a picture for those that don't know what I mean.

Thangbom

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I personally don't care for it but my wife loves that mirror. You as the parent get to act like the bus driver. A quick glance at you read view mirror and you can check on your infant.

Thangbom.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I personally don't care for it but my wife loves that mirror. You as the parent get to act like the bus driver. A quick glance at you read view mirror and you can check on your infant.

Thangbom.
How hard would it be to switch them? I believe they are just connected to anchors underneath, right?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts