Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are about to pick up a used but very well maintained 2012 CR-V...

Wife and I are relatively new to cars, What type of general maintenance servicing should we be looking at and at what frequency to help keep the CR-V in tip top condition and away from serious repairs situations?

So far we know about:

Undercoating
Oil change
Tyre pressure checks

Appreciate if anyone can help with other maintenance ideas, many thanks!

·
Registered
772 Posts
Welcome to you both to the forum. Congrats on your purchase, your gonna enjoy it. The items you mentioned are good points, especially oil and filter, air filter, and tire pressure. You should have an owners manual in the glove box, in the manual are listed maintenance interval schedules. One thing to remember, if you follow all the suggested intervals, you better have some DEEP POCKETS, especially having them done @ the Honda dealers, their like the Calvary, meaning they like to charge. Use common sense, if it's not broke, leave well enough alone. JMHO and good luck.
David g......:cool:

·
Registered
129 Posts
do you know if it's an 4wd/awd model? i only ask because that was one of the concerns of mine before buying an AWD mode of the 2015 CRV since i've seen no one that made after market ujoints for the propeller shaft.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=CR-V&catcgry2=2015&catcgry3=5DR+EX+(AWD)&catcgry4=KACVT&catcgry5=PROPELLER+SHAFT

in that diagram, it's where part number 4 is going into. Keep in mine what i've shown you is for a 2015, the price for the propeller shaft is a fraction of what one for a 2012 would go for.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Welcome and congrats on your purchase. Just follow the Maintenance Minder and you will be just fine. I suggest reading your owners manual to familiarize yourself with the vehicle and the maintenance system.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Hi, welcome and good for you and your wife.
I too have a 2012 V. Mine is the awd LX model and has 58k miles on it.
As said read the owners manual...if it didn't come with one I'd guess it is available as an online download at no cost.

I'll suggest the following, which is what I've done since buying my V 18 months ago. I had no idea what maintenance had been done on the V so I started a base line of maintenance over the first couple of months. I replaced the cabin and engine air filters, changed the oil and oil filter, replaced the transmission fluid and rear differential fluid. Now I have a base line established and can change, replace based on recommended mileage, etc.

I change the oil/filter every 3 to 5k miles because I prefer this schedule which is less mileage than recommended but I do it myself, drive less than 10k per year so maybe 2 to 3 oil changes and have peace of mind. I replace the transmission and rear diff fluid every 3 years for the same reason. These are the life bloods of most vehicles and dealt with regularly will give peace of mind, in my opinion.

Have the V checked, the Honda dealership has a decent check system. Run it through for a check of such things as front end parts, wheel alignment, battery condition. Have the engine coolant checked. If you have a regular, trusted mechanic that works on your vehicle have him/her double check the dealer results and have repairs, etc. taken care of based on priority...safety, ie brakes, front end, etc...and your money.

Keep a log. I've kept logs of my cars for decades. I begin with the purchase date and mileage. List of all parts by my favorite makers...Oil type, oil filter, air filter, etc...all the stuff I regularly service myself. Write down how the car runs, starts, stops, etc. Same with dealers check list, etc.
I always start with the date and mileage when I add a log note.
Now you have your baseline both on the V and in your logs.
I keep track of everything, including gas mileage, etc. It makes it easier to check back on an oil change, wiper blade replacement, how long since last brake job, etc.
It also makes it a bit easier when shopping for parts...I know the brand and model number of the filters, etc. by looking at my list rather than flipping through the flimsy catalogs with teeny tiny fonts at the parts shop.

Good luck and enjoy...

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
If it has been well maintained, then what needs to be done has been done. I would simply go by the maintenance minder and not worry about it. My 16 EX-L is the first vehicle I have ever had that doesn't have a maintenance schedule in the owners manual. It simply has a maintenance minder that will tell me what and when I need to do something. I plan on following it and not worry about miles or months.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to you both to the forum. Congrats on your purchase, your gonna enjoy it. The items you mentioned are good points, especially oil and filter, air filter, and tire pressure. You should have an owners manual in the glove box, in the manual are listed maintenance interval schedules. One thing to remember, if you follow all the suggested intervals, you better have some DEEP POCKETS, especially having them done @ the Honda dealers, their like the Calvary, meaning they like to charge. Use common sense, if it's not broke, leave well enough alone. JMHO and good luck.
David g......:cool:
Thanks all for sound advice
do you know if it's an 4wd/awd model? i only ask because that was one of the concerns of mine before buying an AWD mode of the 2015 CRV since i've seen no one that made after market ujoints for the propeller shaft.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=CR-V&catcgry2=2015&catcgry3=5DR+EX+(AWD)&catcgry4=KACVT&catcgry5=PROPELLER+SHAFT

in that diagram, it's where part number 4 is going into. Keep in mine what i've shown you is for a 2015, the price for the propeller shaft is a fraction of what one for a 2012 would go for.
Welcome and congrats on your purchase. Just follow the Maintenance Minder and you will be just fine. I suggest reading your owners manual to familiarize yourself with the vehicle and the maintenance system.
Hi, welcome and good for you and your wife.
I too have a 2012 V. Mine is the awd LX model and has 58k miles on it.
As said read the owners manual...if it didn't come with one I'd guess it is available as an online download at no cost.

I'll suggest the following, which is what I've done since buying my V 18 months ago. I had no idea what maintenance had been done on the V so I started a base line of maintenance over the first couple of months. I replaced the cabin and engine air filters, changed the oil and oil filter, replaced the transmission fluid and rear differential fluid. Now I have a base line established and can change, replace based on recommended mileage, etc.

I change the oil/filter every 3 to 5k miles because I prefer this schedule which is less mileage than recommended but I do it myself, drive less than 10k per year so maybe 2 to 3 oil changes and have peace of mind. I replace the transmission and rear diff fluid every 3 years for the same reason. These are the life bloods of most vehicles and dealt with regularly will give peace of mind, in my opinion.

Have the V checked, the Honda dealership has a decent check system. Run it through for a check of such things as front end parts, wheel alignment, battery condition. Have the engine coolant checked. If you have a regular, trusted mechanic that works on your vehicle have him/her double check the dealer results and have repairs, etc. taken care of based on priority...safety, ie brakes, front end, etc...and your money.

Keep a log. I've kept logs of my cars for decades. I begin with the purchase date and mileage. List of all parts by my favorite makers...Oil type, oil filter, air filter, etc...all the stuff I regularly service myself. Write down how the car runs, starts, stops, etc. Same with dealers check list, etc.
I always start with the date and mileage when I add a log note.
Now you have your baseline both on the V and in your logs.
I keep track of everything, including gas mileage, etc. It makes it easier to check back on an oil change, wiper blade replacement, how long since last brake job, etc.
It also makes it a bit easier when shopping for parts...I know the brand and model number of the filters, etc. by looking at my list rather than flipping through the flimsy catalogs with teeny tiny fonts at the parts shop.

Good luck and enjoy...
If it has been well maintained, then what needs to be done has been done. I would simply go by the maintenance minder and not worry about it. My 16 EX-L is the first vehicle I have ever had that doesn't have a maintenance schedule in the owners manual. It simply has a maintenance minder that will tell me what and when I need to do something. I plan on following it and not worry about miles or months.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts