Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CR-Vs seem to be so popular that the used prices hold amazingly well.

I was offered a 2017 Touring with 5K miles for $28k.

Seems like I can get a new 2018 Touring (brand new) for $30k.

Which would you go with?

·
Registered
37 Posts

Which would you go with?
I would go with a new one. Seems a little high for a 2017...

We just bought an 2018 CRV EX-L with 4k miles on it for $25k. Private sale though. No dealer BS

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
What is KBB offer? are you getting a 2 year warranty now and some one elses headaches?

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Dave Ramsey says always buy used and never finance anything, other than your home.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got my used 2017 touring from our local dealer for $29900, it had 11000 miles on it. It was only 8 months old. Only reason the person traded it was it was to small for there family of 5, They bought a new Pilot. I went used over new because it was 7k cheaper and I got a better warranty (4 years bumper to bump, 8 years or 100k power train through Honda) and few other things added to the deal. Found 2 in the Chicago area exactly the same with a few more miles and they were at 32k. The 2018 Touring I saw started around 35k up to 37k no discounts. A new Touring at 30k would be a rare find.

·
Registered
2022 CRV EX FWD 2013 CRV EX FWD
3,014 Posts

Which would you go with?
I'd go used and save the money.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I would wonder why someone would trade in a CRV with 5000 miles. .... could it have a problem like oil dilution ???
1) Friend of ours bought a very low mileage CR-V for a good deal. Older couple bought it after owning "big cars" forever and just couldn't adjust to a "smaller" car. It happens.

2) "Oil dilution" ....after 18 months of ownership and 20,000 miles of driving in my 2017 CR-V I have yet to see such a thing. Same goes for the other five DI Honda's in my family. I won't argue that there may have been some people who had that problem but to imply it is "common", well I would have to see some hard data to back that up. We have never had a problem with this in any our family's Hondas. Zero.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
1) Friend of ours bought a very low mileage CR-V for a good deal. Older couple bought it after owning "big cars" forever and just couldn't adjust to a "smaller" car. It happens.

2) "Oil dilution" ....after 18 months of ownership and 20,000 miles of driving in my 2017 CR-V I have yet to see such a thing. Same goes for the other five DI Honda's in my family. I won't argue that there may have been some people who had that problem but to imply it is "common", well I would have to see some hard data to back that up. We have never had a problem with this in any our family's Hondas. Zero.
It might not be common But I have the problem. I plan on getting rid of my problem as soon as the new 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe comes out this fall . It's a shame because other then no heat in winter and oil gas problem I would keep it.
Shame on Honda for NOT FIXING this...... it's been over a year and Honda should have at least acknowledged the problem and offer some kind of settlement.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
My presumption is your CR-V is still under warranty, no? If yes, it's still Honda's problem, not yours.

(sure wish I had a tool bar and access to smilies)

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,200 Posts
(sure wish I had a tool bar and access to smilies)

(off topic) Yes, the switch of servers, (or whatever it was), has reduced a lot of capabilities for the members here. I hope those in the know are working to get these features back...would be nice to get an update once in a while. Will we get them back? Are they gone forever? Kinda sounds like Honda's response to some of the issues reported here????? Although a moderator has commented on it, but I don't recall many details being provided.

On topic...Everyone needs to make their own decision on the used vs new choice. There are many factors involved. Financial ability, length of time you plan to own, time available to search for the right used one, where one lives (rural area likely reduces the used choices) features desired, color choices, etc, etc.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts