Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a new 2018 EXL in Aug. 2018. I have owned many new Honda products over the past 40 years and all of them had been very satisfactory until the purchase of the 18 CR-V. When I disposed of the CR-V, it had less than 7k miles on it. The reason that I felt compelled to sell it was because it had too many electronic malfunctions to be trustworthy. The a/c only worked intermittently, the brake hold feature failed to release at one point causing a real embarrassment holding up traffic in rush hour, warning lights flashing for no apparent reason, low tire pressure warning coming on when tires were fully inflated,and the list goes on.

I'm a commercial pilot flying heavy jets, so I believe that I was qualified to operate the vehicle properly, and to understand the electronic management system.

The purpose of my post is to help others coming to this forum for pre-purchase research to be aware that there may be better choices made by other manufacturers competing this market segment.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Hum......sounds more like a whining post than a helpful advice post.?‍♂ Every airplane has always been perfect in every way.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Add me to the zero, zip, nada problems list. Ooops, I forgot, I did have the shifter button replaced (under warranty).

·
Registered
116 Posts
Sorry to hear you had trouble with yours. I'd want to move on too as once I lose faith a vehicle I just don't trust it anymore. But so far my 18 CR-V with 33k hasn't crossed that line yet. A water pump at 10k because the bearings in it were failing and I've had the underbody shield fall and drag on the highway twice now (poor oil change techs combined with a poor, overcomplicated design on Honda's part). What'd you replace it with?

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,027 Posts
Imagine that. what if the internet was not around no one to tell. Happy you sold, and getting something like a Tesla. Honda is all about firmware fixes today

·
Registered
339 Posts
I hear you. Several times I have thought about just dumping my 17 AWD Touring and moving on to something else. One of the probems is I can not find anythng currenly that is really much better for my needs. The closest is the 2020 RAV4 hybrid and maybe the upcommng 2021 PH version. The consideration is that etiher one of these would probably be something I would buy now instead of the 17 CRV. Real life is tough! Hindsight is always 20/20. LOL

So considering the sustainable $ lost for something perhaps with a littel less hassle (yes, OD is one and the other is cabin temps) these are really my biggest complaints. Being a 17, it had several intial recalls and a few warranty isseus, but I knew it was the first model year of a major redesign- so expected it. And the RAV4 could potential repeat this new model design issues again. Otherwise, the CRV is comfortabe, safe and pleseant to drive both in traffic and the road.

So just yesterday I took an action hopefully to resovle one of my main issues- OD. I had worked with the Honda delaer for several months to have the "cold states" fix applied at my expense in "warm" Colorado. I finally deceided to do instead planning a near future dispoal of the 17 CRV. It cost about $275, but should bring it up to the 2019 ening/drive train SW and AC control cpu replacement- AKA as the fix.

So far it does seem the LT fuel trims level are showing a more lean engine operation on premius gas (Shell 91). As expcted, no noicable increase in cabin temps (it was 15F last night). But it if helps in the OD (and maybe a quicker warm-up, I will be content. My current thinking is to keep the 17 CRV for at least 2-5 more years.

Let us know what you brought replace your CRV. It has been an unexpected jouney into Honda land (my first, probably last) from my much safer Toyota experience. Best wishes!

·
Registered
89 Posts
17 with 48K, no problems yet, do my own maintenance, got shifter button fixed under warranty,, i removed that flimsy undercarriage protector(?)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I purchased a new 2018 EXL in Aug. 2018. I have owned many new Honda products over the past 40 years and all of them had been very satisfactory until the purchase of the 18 CR-V. When I disposed of the CR-V, it had less than 7k miles on it. The reason that I felt compelled to sell it was because it had too many electronic malfunctions to be trustworthy. The a/c only worked intermittently, the brake hold feature failed to release at one point causing a real embarrassment holding up traffic in rush hour, warning lights flashing for no apparent reason, low tire pressure warning coming on when tires were fully inflated,and the list goes on.

I'm a commercial pilot flying heavy jets, so I believe that I was qualified to operate the vehicle properly, and to understand the electronic management system.

The purpose of my post is to help others coming to this forum for pre-purchase research to be aware that there may be better choices made by other manufacturers competing this market segment.
I understand you, ... I did the same as 3 other people I know but here it is mainly because of the cold in Quebec very bad heating. mine was a 2017, 2 other friends had 2018 and the last one a 2019. we changed for the same reasons

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I removed that bottom cover for a couple of weeks 2 summers ago thinking it might lower the tranny fluid temp some........made NO temp difference while it was removed. I put it back on. Seems like the cover would aid in the prevention of splashed water from reaching the turblow.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
It's possible, there may be better choices. But it's also just as possible there may not be, as all new vehicles these days suffer from the same ridiculous gimmickry and quality control issues, and Honda is not the worst, although they may also not be the best these days. Thanks for sharing your cautionary tale with us. Be sure to do similar research on the appropriate forum for your next vehicle, and share with us what your next choice is. Best of luck on that.

Reactions: 8dragon and ondarvr

·
Registered
192 Posts
Maybe you got a lemon and have enough cash to just chop out the car for something else. Fair enough. It happens in all brands but its not typical.

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,027 Posts
soo going bye bye what will you get get

1 - 20 of 74 Posts