Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I joined this site right after doing my oil change and being overwhelmed with fuel smell. Just wanted to find out if any people out there having this issue and tried to keep up to date with this issue. When I first joined, this board was pretty much like it is today, heavily censored and much suppression, not to mention misinformation (the rev-it-to-4K-on-cold and the check-oil-at-the-exact-3-minutes, if you know what I mean). It took a community outrage for the moderators to open it and I was actually getting addicted to this board. However I see it is going back to the way it was. Now that I have my issue "unfixed" and there is nothing much that could be done except to let Honda drive the course, I'm saying goodbye to you all. Hopefully the CRV doesn't start having other major issues besides the heat (which I fixed for cheap) and the OD (which I can't do anything about). It has been a fun ride and interesting to see some of the deniers converted was well. I've begun to lose interest in this board and its all-is-well-in-Honda-land mentality. To those of us who have this issue, good luck to us all. If this CRV is not going to last me 150K at least, then Honda will be on my long list of car makers to consider in the future. Too bad, the CRV is a good car.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I joined this site right after doing my oil change and being overwhelmed with fuel smell. Just wanted to find out if any people out there having this issue and tried to keep up to date with this issue. When I first joined, this board was pretty much like it is today, heavily censored and much suppression, not to mention misinformation (the rev-it-to-4K-on-cold and the check-oil-at-the-exact-3-minutes, if you know what I mean). It took a community outrage for the moderators to open it and I was actually getting addicted to this board. However I see it is going back to the way it was. Now that I have my issue "unfixed" and there is nothing much that could be done except to let Honda drive the course, I'm saying goodbye to you all. Hopefully the CRV doesn't start having other major issues besides the heat (which I fixed for cheap) and the OD (which I can't do anything about). It has been a fun ride and interesting to see some of the deniers converted was well. I've begun to lose interest in this board and its all-is-well-in-Honda-land mentality. To those of us who have this issue, good luck to us all. If this CRV is not going to last me 150K at least, then Honda will be on my long list of car makers to consider in the future. Too bad, the CRV is a good car.
Ditto ----- I'm gone too & so is the toublemsome CRV
Good Luck To All

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,027 Posts
people go to forums for help. that is just about all they do good luck on any car and forum you get to again.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I haven't been keeping close tabs here but thought the forum's big brother push for Honda was over. When the dust settles the only things that matter here are clicks, face time, Honda's reputation, and which squeaky wheel best satisfies the above.

·
Registered
988 Posts
It looks like at least 2 of the closed threads had normal conversations right to the end.

·
Registered
90 Posts
It looks like at least 2 of the closed threads had normal conversations right to the end.
Yep, I was one of the fortunate members who had a 2018 without any of the problems stated in the threads (until the update was done). After the update I was happy to see a thread started that wanted folks input on the outcome (which is now closed). Guess I will have to decide to wade through whatever this thread becomes to see if I can find others that take the time to state their results or look elsewhere for information.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yep, I was one of the fortunate members who had a 2018 without any of the problems stated in the threads (until the update was done). After the update I was happy to see a thread started that wanted folks input on the outcome (which is now closed). Guess I will have to decide to wade through whatever this thread becomes to see if I can find others that take the time to state their results or look elsewhere for information.
When did you have the update and did the "fix" break what wasn't broken in the first place? I know someone that had a perfect crv until the fix broke the perfectly good heating unit and made it in the image of those with heating problems. I don't want the fix but got the letter around the holidays. I have already rescheduled once and now have an appt for the update end of Feb. I don't want to do it.. the car is perfect as is.

·
Registered
127 Posts
My car buying strategy of late has been to buy new, buy quality and keep it for a long time. Hasn't worked this time. I would dump my 2018 CRV, and very well might but trading at 1 year old is going to cost. The re-call has not worked for me and I don't anticipate Honda can or will fix it at least for its cold area customers. The Pilot may be a fine vehicle but I wont be able to bring myself to deal with Honda for a long time after this. History; 1989 Honda Accord EXI 4 stars. 2002 Subaru Forrester 4 stars, 2009 RAV4 4 Stars, 2018 Honda CRV 2 1/2 stars deductions mostly due to heat and oil issues. There is still too much assistance and valuable information available on this forum for me to leave entirely but I agree with the above comments.

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,027 Posts
Since this is not our House we are guests, nutting more

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yeah I agree with a lot of the sentiments expressed here. I was a bit taken aback when I logged on this morning and found that the moderators went on a censorship streak. I'm not sure what incentive they have to do that. I'm sure it's not a stretch to presume that Honda personnel periodically read this forum and suffice it to say are not happy with a lot of the content, and have perhaps expressed their displeasure to the owner of the website. However that should be neither here nor there, because this forum doesn't exist for the benefit of Honda Corporate, it exists for ours. At the very least it defeats the purpose of the forum if users are being censored being they're expressing displeasure with the product or the manufacturer. In practice, customers are going to post on a Honda CR-V forum to compare notes on their experience with their CR-V, and the posts will typically lean more negative than positive, as people having a bad experience are more inclined to share on the internet than those having a good experience. It's what drives traffic to forums such as these, so it would seem to me that to censor such posts would be to shoot themselves in the foot on the part of the forum, as less traffic means less ad revenue, which means less profit. Likewise, Honda is shooting themselves in the foot if they don't seek to resolve the problems people are having in good faith. The marketplace will see to it that they're punished if they don't deal with the issues head-on.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Yeah I agree with a lot of the sentiments expressed here. I was a bit taken aback when I logged on this morning and found that the moderators went on a censorship streak. I'm not sure what incentive they have to do that. I'm sure it's not a stretch to presume that Honda personnel periodically read this forum and suffice it to say are not happy with a lot of the content, and have perhaps expressed their displeasure to the owner of the website. However that should be neither here nor there, because this forum doesn't exist for the benefit of Honda Corporate, it exists for ours......
Very well said, Birch.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,786 Posts
Birch is 100% wrong. Honda doesn't participate, direct or control this forum in any way at all.

We had too many complaints from people about the volume and respective nature of posts.

·
Registered
2016 CR-V EX-L
163 Posts
I wish everyone the best whether they stay on the forum or choose to move on.

I've been a member of a lot of groups over the years and I've not seen anything here that makes me believe corporate Honda has any input or influence regarding the posts.

Thanks to all that make it possible for us to share, post and read about the CR-V be it good, bad or something else.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Birch is 100% wrong. Honda doesn't participate, direct or control this forum in any way at all.

We had too many complaints from people about the volume and respective nature of posts.
Sad that you felt the need to take a sledgehammer to a problem that could have easily been solved with some moderator finesse simply by setting up two sub thread categories: 1) Positive and Good News CRV Threads 2) Issues Threads.

If the people making the complaints wanted nothing but positive they would go the section #1 for those of us that have issue #2. Pretty easy solution.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Honda doesn't participate, direct or control this forum in any way at all.

That is good to know, thank you.

I was one that complained by PM to Atwell about the bullies who would not stop bickering but unfortunately the new policy rewarded those that started the bickering instead of banning them for rudeness. And some of them are now gloating and bickering on the OD thread; nice!!!

Birch was wrong about Honda's role on this forum but he is not wrong regarding the rest of his comments.

·
Registered
92 Posts

That is exactly how it should be. Good, bad or something else should not be limited to one thread only.
I think the mods were simply doing their job trying to restore some sort of balance.. I see someone was banned and another left of their own accord. Constant negative comments are not helpful to anyone and I don't believe they meant well at all.

Yes, of course, some of us here have OD and heating problems but the majority of crv owners do not. Hopefully, people coming here with issues and looking for help and to not feel that they are alone will find some comfort here while they wait for a real solution to their problems. As for the rest of us with no issues, maybe we can discuss what we love about our crvs without those dark clouds of negative commenters constantly trying to warn us about what a crap vehicle we just spent all that money on and how, for sure, we have the OD we just don't know it yet!! Not helpful.. not helpful at all.

Thanks mods... your job is not easy and I don't think you are controlled by Honda corporate :)

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
3,681 Posts
... However that should be neither here nor there, because this forum doesn't exist for the benefit of Honda Corporate, it exists for ours. ....
Actually, this forum does not really exist for our benefit, rather it exists for the benefit of the site owner. We, as members, are allowed to use the site pursuant to it's rules. We all agreed to that when we registered at no cost. We generate income for the site owner by reading and posting here. (notice ads?) The moderators, possibly under the direction (or approval of) the Admin, or site owners, decide to close threads, temporarily ban members, or take any other action they feel is needed. Trust me, no moderator or admin wants to ban a member, or close threads. Neither do they want a hostile or threatening environment. It is not an easy job, and they do it all on a volunteer basis. I imagine they enjoy discussing our CR-Vs as much as we do.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts