Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it’s time for me to get rid of the garbage Hankooks that came with my 2018 and get something new. I’m thinking of the Goodyear Assurance Weatherready, which is quite a pricey tire but had favorable reviews on Tirerack. I see that it’s categorized as an All-Season tire but also has the “3 Peak Mountain Snowflake (3PMSF)” symbol. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area so I’m not looking necessarily for snow/winter tires (though I might take an occasional trip up to Tahoe or something) and I don’t believe this tire is an actual winter/snow tire. But it’s performance in rain looks good. Just wanted to see if anyone else has expernece with this tire or other all season tires with 3PMSF.

·
Registered
2017 CRV EX AWD
1,459 Posts
I have them & discounted them down feom 1200 to 700 installed for my 19’s lol

they do not hydroplane in downpours , super quiet & awesome in snow.

if you want me to go in depth on pricing dm me

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,882 Posts
First.. let me stipulate right up front.. tire choices is a very passionate topic for many owners. :)

Personally, I stick with Michelins when it is time to replace OEM tires.. but the Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady's do get good reviews as well.

From my perspective.... the tire market is very competitive so the thing with tires.. you generally get what you pay for (retail price, not final sales price). So price is a first level indicator of expected tire quality overall ... followed by road noise, rolling efficiency, mileage rating, and weather coding (my list in priority order). Of course different owners will prioritize the list in different sequence for their preferences.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just read an article on winter tires, etc., that pointed out Bridgestone, Michelin, and Continental are THE best brands in the world due to the amount of resources they have for engineering and research. I am indeed finding that these brands do produce some of the most expensive tires as I'm shopping around.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Other good options are "all-weather" tires such as the Michelin Cross Climate and Nokian WRG4. I have the WRG4 (image below) on my 2013 Honda Civic and I am very happy with their overall performance in all weather conditions here in Toronto, Canada.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I also live in the Bay Area and long ago realized that the single greatest compromise one can make is getting an all season tire for that one or two times you may drive up to the mountains. The rare times I do head east in the winter I rent a 4WD. Since I never drive my 2WD CR-V in the snow I switched from Hankooks to a summer tire and haven't regretted it for a moment. Much better performance dry or wet.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I have past experience with Nokian all weathers but unsure if best for you. I might be tempted to get a good quality all seasons if I were you unless you drive into the mountains often in winter. I did replace my OEM all seasons with Nokian WRG4 all weathers on my 2020 CRV with only 30 miles on them, will sell on Kijiji in the spring. The WRG4 offers long tread life, superior winter and rain traction and good summer traction and wear.

·
Registered
255 Posts
This my second winter on the Goodyear Weather ready on my 17 CRV, good in the summer and good in the winter and the are wearing very good and are quiet.... I'll put them on again..... jim

·
Registered
2019 CR-V EX
789 Posts
I've had Goodyear tries on multiple vehicles and they wore down very quickly. The compounds are too soft.

I'd go with Michelins. Nothing lasts longer than they do. I'd give BF Goodrich a strong second place for lifespan.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Wonder who pays for those multi-million dollar tire TV commercials?;)

Reactions: CrazyMind2017

·
Registered
255 Posts
I put a set of Michelin's on my truck and I never seen tires wear out that fast and for the price for them. Never again...... jim

·
Registered
89 Posts
I do live in the snowbelt of North Dakota and put Toyo Celsius "All Weather" tires (3 peaks rated) on my '18 CR-V Touring within 800 miles of purchase. They are doing great in snow traction, which I see a lot of. However, I would not recommend them for use when snow traction is only rarely needed. All season, and yes maybe even the expensive Michelins should do you better.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the great feedback. So what really is the difference between a an "all season w/ 3PMSF" vs. a regular all-season? How much different is it from a true snow/winter tire that would make it still inappropriate (or at least not as appropriate) for a place without snow (but just wet winters)?

For reference, I'm going off of info provided on Tire Rack's site, where they explain that a 3PMSF All Season is still no replacement for a true snow/winter tire.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,882 Posts
Check out this tire:
Vredestein is very up and coming tire company. The Quatrac Pro outperformed everything in a very formidable class. Tire Rack says its an A/S "game changer".
Tire looks good on paper.

My one concern/advice to other owners though.... this is not a common brand in the US yet.. so if you lose a tire to a road hazard while on a road trip.. you might find it hard to get a replacement. I just checked my local Americas Tire stores here.. and none of them sell that brand.

·
Registered
431 Posts
My Nokian WRG4 are great in the snow, esp on the CRV (this tire would compete with the Toyo Celsius a few posts back). Tire rack does not sell them but Kal Tire does(Kaltire offers lifetime free rotations, balancing and tire repairs). These are classified all weather (as opposed to all season) so meet the requirements of snow tires in the winter. You can leave them on all year and past experience has shown that tread wear (105,000km guarantee) and handling in summer is good (had these on our Nissan XTrail awd, my daughters older Toyota Echo and her new Corolla hatchback, my son’s Hyundai Accent )certainly much better than oem in the summer and in the rain, superior. Would highly recommend these tires esp in the northern states, Canada.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts