Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally got my tires and wheels today. I wanted a taller tire without overcrowding the wheel well or oversized tires so I picked up some American Racing AR95 Estrellas sized 16x7 and had these 235/70R16 Goodyear Wrangler A/T Adventures with Kevlar put on today. They moved the TPMS sensors over with adapters and everything fit great with good clearances all around. I really like the off-road leaning rugged look these provide, along with better off-road and all weather traction.

They ride smoother than the stock wheel size that came off, but those were almost fully worn out. Bumps feel softer etc. They aren't noisy either. Only slightly more wind/road noise than before, but only enough to be noticeable, not to the point of being obvious or annoying. I'm looking forward to how well these will do off-road and in snow... to bad winter just ended lol. I hope you enjoy the pics.

20140508_191910.jpg

20140508_191932.jpg

20140508_202550.jpg

20140508_192903.jpg

20140508_192843.jpg

20140508_192934.jpg

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Outstanding!

American Racing AR95 Estrellas sized 16x7 and had these 235/70R16 Goodyear Wrangler A/T Adventures with Kevlar put on today.

They ride smoother than the stock wheel size that came off, but those were almost fully worn out. Bumps feel softer etc. They aren't noisy either. Only slightly more wind/road noise than before, but only enough to be noticeable, but not to the point of being obvious or annoying. I'm looking forward to how well these will do off-road and in snow... to bad winter just ended lol. I hope you enjoy the pics.[END QUOTE]

ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE LOOK!

I would never have thought of that combination. Wheels are stunningly beautiful!

Did you trade the OEM wheels?

Nicely done!

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE LOOK!

I would never have thought of that combination. Wheels are stunningly beautiful!

Did you trade the OEM wheels?

Nicely done!
Thanks Downunder47! I kept the OEM 17x6.5 wheels as the auto center didn't offer any trade-in value. I'll probably end up selling them in local classifieds if I can, or ebay them. I still need to do a proper scrub down and wheel shine application to the new wheels lol. It's been raining though so I haven't washed my car for awhile either. The mud in the wheel well is from my last mudding adventure in a backlot to test the 4WD a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Despite these wheels being wider (7" vs 6.5 on stock rims), and a 40mm offset vs 50mm, they don't stick out much more than stock wheels/tires.

20140508_192917.jpg

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
More pics

Straight on side-view
20140509_122203[1].jpg

Rear wheel
20140509_122223[1].jpg

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can those be used when putting a lift on, or are they more for just performance and lowering?

·
Registered
250 Posts
MikeUtah

Just seen your video on youtube of you fooling around with the V and the tires. Looks good I am still debating putting on some 235-70-17 or going 235-75-17 I think they might rub but not sure. Whats your thought on fitment?

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MikeUtah

Just seen your video on youtube of you fooling around with the V and the tires. Looks good I am still debating putting on some 235-70-17 or going 235-75-17 I think they might rub but not sure. Whats your thought on fitment?
I think your most probable areas for rubbing will be the top of the rear wheel well, and the inner lower plastics in the front wheel well while turning. Many a 1st Gen owner has cut out plastics and/or metal where rubbing occurs. You may be one of the first 4th gen owners to do such if you end up having that issue. A good tire shop will let you try one tire on and check for rubbing before mounting the full set. They may charge you slightly more for labor, but if it helps you get what you want, or avoid issues, it's probably worth it. The Sears Auto Center I got my tires at did a good job checking for rubbing. At the same time, my tires are only 29"tall, 1/2" taller than stock, about about 1/2" wider, but my aftermarket wheels also stick out slightly farther (lower, 40mm offset vs 50mm stock offset). I have plenty of clearance though, so you might be okay with those tires except if off-roading or carrying heavy loads where the back wheels may get pushed up into the well far enough etc. Good luck, and post back if you get them.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One more comment, 235/70/17 has already been done so I think that size is pretty safe. My comment above is primarily aimed at the 235/75/17 size having possible rubbing issues.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Yes.

Can those be used when putting a lift on, or are they more for just performance and lowering?
Apology for the delay, 'been away.

They are direct replacement for the existing upper control arms - they do not use any more space than the original.

They also have a bracket for the ABS sensor wire, as the original, which some other brands do not.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
They will fit?

One more comment, 235/70/17 has already been done so I think that size is pretty safe. My comment above is primarily aimed at the 235/75/17 size having possible rubbing issues.
Checked their spec's on TireRack. Diameter of 70 is 30 inches, and 30.9 for the 75. I turned wheel lock to lock and there is about an inch minimum clearance for the 70's. The 75 at 30.9 inches will be less than a 1/2 inch closer to any obstruction.

On the other hand, I was not able to measure the clearance from the top of the tire with suspension completely compressed, but it looks like enough.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here's the clip from youtube referred to:

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One other observation, a too tall tire in the front may rub on the bottom of the strut, right where the spring meets the strut. That was the one place I could tell a tall enough and wide enough tire would rub. I'll try get a pic.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is the top of the front tire with my 29" 235/70R16s. As you can see, anything taller than about 30" is going to be awfully close to the strut (3rd Gen, but 4th Gen may be similar).

20140523_115218.jpg

20140523_115348.jpg

20140523_115407.jpg

·
Registered
250 Posts
Wow you guys are awesome I really am trying to go with the 75's because I want to gain a 1.2 inches of ground clearance. If I go with the 70's I will only gain .75 of ground clearance. Also the newest CRV is shorter than the third gen. I measured the wheel wells and they are 31 inches all together. IDK I am getting the tires very very since the old OEM's are garbage and wasted.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Utah Mike,
Really like the looks of your total CR-V package
The white contrasting with the tinted windows, cladding and slightly oversized tires is a nice combo.
The wheels are sharp too.
When you were off road here did the tires ever rub against anything? The clearances seem pretty tight in the pics.
Mine is all black 2008 EX-L which I got a god deal on (used) but white is nicer looking.
Ed

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Ed, like you I have a black EX-L and like you agree the white is nicer. Myself I went to the 70 series tire 235/70 17 tire and like Mikes pictures, I'm about as tall as you could go, Lift kit or no Lift Kit. No regrets, check out my garage to see my tires.

Mike those are great pics of your struts, great job!

Just remember folks, bigger tires make the ride less bumpier than stock, not to mention make the CRV look much cooler! :cool:

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Utah Mike,
Really like the looks of your total CR-V package
The white contrasting with the tinted windows, cladding and slightly oversized tires is a nice combo.
The wheels are sharp too.
When you were off road here did the tires ever rub against anything? The clearances seem pretty tight in the pics.
Mine is all black 2008 EX-L which I got a god deal on (used) but white is nicer looking.
Ed
Thanks for asking. I haven't experienced any rubbing, despite going over some good sized bumps and also having tires come off the ground (meaning more weight on the wheels still touching the ground). Here are some pics of the back tire when it is nearly pushed up into the wheel well. Despite close clearances, I am confident the tire won't rub at any range of articulation of the shock/spring. However, anything wider that sticks out farther would probably start to have issues in there, as well as anything taller than probably 30.5" on 3rd Gen Vs. I am planning on getting the OME lift some time this year for even more assurance and clearance off road.

20140517_133404.jpg

20140517_133344.jpg

20140517_134050-clearance.jpg

·
Registered
250 Posts
Dam looks way to close if I am going to load people on the CRV it will be pushing it. I wanted to get the lift kit before the new tires to fit them better but that's not going to happen.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts