Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed Google Maps from Play store (BTW the Play store was installed with HondaHack) on my head unit of 2017 CRV LE AWD, and downloaded offline maps. However the Google maps was running very slow. To start the app, it took ~45 seconds to load and the touch screen started to respond (same slow when there's WIFI connection). During the navigation, the map of streets updated much slowly than a phone (It was using offline maps instead of online map via LTE/WiFi). The head unit also became slow in audio source switching and channel switching when google map was running. After I stopped the map app, the audio source and channel switching speed was back to normal.

Then I uninstalled google maps and installed Waze. Waze is much faster, just take ~8 seconds to start. However Waze doesn't have offline map option.

It looks like the performance of the 2017 CRV head unit is not powerful to support google maps.

Did anyone experience this problem? And substitution for google maps with offline map and better performance?

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Yep it's slow on everyone's HU. If you really want google maps it's best to install it on your phone and then use Apple Car Play or Android Auto.

Rob

·
Registered
415 Posts
I was very disappointed when I tried google maps with HondaHack very slow and the navigation is actually 1-3 miles behind..... I only kept it there for emergency (like if I lost my phone during a long trip)

I removed ALL other customizations, specially the safety prompt at startup. My HU is responsive again.
Don't forget to restart your HU at lease once a month. (long press on the dial)

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Yep it's slow on everyone's HU. If you really want google maps it's best to install it on your phone and then use Apple Car Play or Android Auto.

Rob
and it's also easier to download the maps for offline use on your phone than eat up the storage on the internal headunit drive.

·
Registered
189 Posts
You do the hack, it's illegal.
Well, it's not exactly illegal but for sure Honda won't support this.
Most of us using approved apps on AA.
That's perfectly fine.

·
Registered
210 Posts
You do the hack, it's illegal.
Well, it's not exactly illegal but for sure Honda won't support this.
Most of us using approved apps on AA.
That's perfectly fine.
Yes be part of the heard an not enjoy your vehicle to its fullest. Moooo

Honda hack is easily removable or better yet can be hidden with the press of a button. My vehicle has been back to Honda for repairs many times without them detecting Honda hack.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts

Honda hack is easily removable or better yet can be hidden with the press of a button. My vehicle has been back to Honda for repairs many times without them detecting Honda hack.
LOL I left mine on there and they did not even care! Even though Honda sent out some sort of bulletin about it I think the dealers probably looked at it for 5 seconds and then forgot about it. In any case this kind of thing has been settled in court numerous times already. If you buy the device, you own it and can add whatever software you want. The only thing Honda can do is try to wiggle out of a warranty claim and in past cases that has not worked well for most companies. Anyway it's easy enough to remove it and restore it so I like it.

BTW clicking away that annoying warning screen is the number one thing I like about HH.

Rob

·
Registered
271 Posts
Nice to know, I was thinking of doing honda hack mainly for the navigation but since it's not good I'll stick with my standalone gps

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
189 Posts

It's not about Honda detects it or complain about it.
Just like an Android cellphone, you can hack it, root it, put custom ROM or even custom recovery on it, that's fine. It's yours anyway.
My point was if you modify it and it doesn't work well, it's on you.

·
Registered
210 Posts
It's not about Honda detects it or complain about it.
Just like an Android cellphone, you can hack it, root it, put custom ROM or even custom recovery on it, that's fine. It's yours anyway.
My point was if you modify it and it doesn't work well, it's on you.
Of course. Just as with anything that is yours. If you break it, it's on you.

I wouldn't be comfortable modifying a $100 pair of jeans because I'm not a seamstress. I'd pay someone to modify my clothing.

If your not comfortable modifying your electronics, not wise to do it! If you are and enjoy that type of thing, best of luck to you!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Nice to know, I was thinking of doing honda hack mainly for the navigation but since it's not good I'll stick with my standalone gps

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
Correct, now that Apple allowed Google maps and Waze in Carplay, there is no point in doing the HH (Waze is useless with out your phone so whats the point of it in being in your HU), IMHO.
HH will make your HU sluggish and buggy. Another most annoying part of HH is when a text message comes in, my apple maps will pop up first then the text message notification drops down, then both goes away slowly... really annoying. I really don't care if the Warning notification pops up at startup, it is just a few seconds, and that thing gets overridden by the rear camera so it is not really an inconvenience.

I kept mine bc I already paid for it and after removing all customizations, my HU is almost back to its original responsiveness. As I mentioned previously I kept the google maps in there just in case I would lose my phone during a road trip. I don't have my Thomas Guide anymore :) and my wife can not read maps...

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,918 Posts
Correct, now that Apple allowed Google maps and Waze in Carplay, there is no point in doing the HH (Waze is useless with out your phone so whats the point of it in being in your HU), IMHO...
Indeed.

I am of the viewpoint that HeadUnits in modern cars are their for the car manufacturer to present a fixed set of functions to the driver, not something to be treated like our smartphones where you load new apps on them or update the apps all the time, etc, etc. There is clearly a reason why these newer HUs support smartphone connectivity now days.... it offloads all of this user variability in wants/needs/use to the phones. Not that HUs and phone connectivity is issue free either, but it certainly is getting better and better.

If you think about it.. the average person keeps a phone for 2 or 3 years before upgrading, yet a vehicle owner is going to have the same HU for typically 5+ years (in my case 8-10). No way you would be loading new or updated apps on 5-10 year old hardware...so HU<->Phone connectivity is the way to go.

For maps.. the native GPS subsystem in my HU on my Touring does everything I need in that department. So I don't even connect my phone much to be honest. My wife on the other hand uses the heck out of Apple CarPlay on her 2018 Accord and loves it. She conducts business calls while commuting, has maps and other services running, etc. It's like her second office sometimes... and with all the safety systems in the new Accord, she feels comfortable doing so... especially with how well ACC works on the freeway.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I was very disappointed when I tried google maps with HondaHack very slow and the navigation is actually 1-3 miles behind..... I only kept it there for emergency (like if I lost my phone during a long trip)

I removed ALL other customizations, specially the safety prompt at startup. My HU is responsive again.
Don't forget to restart your HU at lease once a month. (long press on the dial)
Why do you say that "specially the safety prompt at startup"? I find that prompt to be super annoying. I have not noticed any slowdown in my HU with HondaHack installed, the slowdowns I find are because the apps that we sometimes install are typically made for much more powerful devices.

Rob

·
Registered
415 Posts
Why do you say that "specially the safety prompt at startup"? I find that prompt to be super annoying. I have not noticed any slowdown in my HU with HondaHack installed, the slowdowns I find are because the apps that we sometimes install are typically made for much more powerful devices.

Rob
mine was, the response time when I tap on an item, to Carplay recognizing my iPhone, and backup camera coming on is slower and not snappy, two major flows... when carplay starts playing music at startup, the whole HU becomes hesitant... and maps comes on when a text message notification drops down, then sloooowly goes away..... that to me is annoying.... I can ignore the warning message at startup... (by the time I shifted to gear the notice is gone)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Uninstall Play Store, Play Services, and updates for both.

You only need Maps and Google Account Manager.

Avoid Play altogether. It presents insane amounts of risk and delay with the backup camera and UI as a whole. Maybe one day we'll get microG working, but until then, use Yalp Store or Fdroid.

Android Auto is better overall.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts