Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Floatin' Pizza Slices
4,767 Posts
Not gonna lie, that does look a bit rough round the edges.

Reactions: Trius

·
Registered
2021 CRV Hybrid Touring
21 Posts
Mine seems about the same, but it's pretty pixelated at night.

I notice the screen is higher resolution on my 2021 than my 2017. I'm wondering if the camera is the same, but the screen better.

·
Registered
2020 Touring, Sonic Gray Pearl
81 Posts
On my '20, the backup camera is so fuzzy it's next to useless. It looks like it's transmitting at about 480p, and gets blown out if there's direct sunlight. I was surprised it was so poor, but not really worried about it. As soon as it gets a modicum of road grime on it it's truly worthless anyway, and no matter how good the picture was I would have trouble not reverting to looking behind me as I have for decades of driving.

·
Floatin' Pizza Slices
4,767 Posts
Let us know how you get on Squire :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Oh and hidden function if you don’t read the manual (real men don’t read). After selecting the alternate skin press and hold your finger on the background picture and you can change your wallpaper and a couple of other settings. Press and hold any of the button blocks and you can rearrange the screen and create you own custom pages. Items from other pages can be dragged to the main page.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Took the car in this morning and the moment the service guy looked at the camera he said "oh yea this is bad". He also said the the view I was getting was not right when in wide mode, said it was too zoomed in. So new camera on order. I don't have time until next Monday to have it installed.

·
Floatin' Pizza Slices
4,767 Posts
Least you're getting it replaced - hopefully that'll cure the ill 👍

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
1,524 Posts
Took the car in this morning and the moment the service guy looked at the camera he said "oh yea this is bad". He also said the the view I was getting was not right when in wide mode, said it was too zoomed in. So new camera on order. I don't have time until next Monday to have it installed.
Great that you got their attention, and they agree something's wrong.
I wouldn't think the "zooming" would be done by the camera itself, as it would be a digital zoom, not an actual zoom lens, it would be done by processing post image capture.
So I suspect there may be issues other than just the camera element. Possibly the head unit itself.
But the problem is now in the correct hands, and replacing the camera is a good place to start.
Let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Views look right to me and they match my HRV camera. I think maybe he was confused by the narrow aisle the car was in at the service bay. But we both agreed the camera is blurry.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Looks like mine. Remember, it’s for locating obstructions behind the car, not for viewing Game of Thrones.
Interesting. I have an inexpensive aftermarket camera (purchased on Amazon) on my ‘09 EX, feeding a Kenwood head unit. It looks a lot better than that, so I’m not sure what’s going on there.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
New camera put in today and its nice and sharp. Only issue I have now is one I have had on every Honda I have owned, CarPlay randomly disconnecting resulting in a black screen. Service tech ran through all the steps I usually do, we deleted my phone from the car, deleted the car fromCarPlay, reset network connections on iPhone and changed out the USB cable. It held for today so far, but my confidence is low as I have seen this work before for a few days and then glitch again.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Picked up my 2021 EX in Obsidian Blue yesterday. This is my 6th CRV. On the trip home which was mostly highway at 55mph I got a trip total of 38mpg. Not bad.

Spent some time in the garage programming the radio and was pleased to find the alternate "skin" for the system. Something new to look at vs the same display I had on my 2018.

Little cubby in back, what's with the plastic piece that blocks the whole bin. That was fixed real quick with a pair of tin snips.

So far a real nice car.
Rear plastic box likely to keep the fix-a-flat kit from bouncing around. I cut mine off too and now have various things there; tire pressure guage, drying towel, etc.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts