Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

So I got rear ended today here is what happened; I went to get some groceries and I was going to pull onto a highway when a lady behind me hit me. We exchanged information and she gave me all her info driver's license, insurance info, and plates. It was her fault and she was in a hurry so she just left. I called the police because I wanted to get a police report and they told me to come to the station in person this is in NJ they gave me a paper and told me to file the report myself....

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Car Automotive tail & brake light

Anyway I added a picture of the damage which is not major but still its going to be a hassle and waste of time. The worst is the lower red reflector is broken and a piece of the bumper is damage. It does feel a bit loose. I wanted to ask you guys what is the best way to go about it in your opinion? I filed a claim through my insurance and I wanted to speak with someone on the phone and it is taking over 2 hours (geico)

I feel I could replace that light itself if I order the part. What would you guys recommend? it seems like going through insurance and stuff is a waste of time but I do want the lady to pay for it in a way to make her learn to be a safe driver. She told me she was distracted looking for a stupid restaurant...btw my car is a bit dirty because we are getting plowed through with nasty rain and snow at the moment which is why i havent cleaned it on the outside these days.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,901 Posts
Rather worrying she was in a hurry....its actions like that which lead to accidents in the first place.

Odds on that she has form for this (ie bad driving and having prangs).

Hope you get it all sorted out - but go through insurance and make her pay since its her fault.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,563 Posts
If you have Collision insurance, let your provider cover it. Get it fixed!

You may need to cover the deductible initially...but they will reimburse you after the lady's insurance company pays.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Accord EX 2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
4,805 Posts
Hope you get it all sorted out - but go through insurance and make her pay since its her fault.
You probably don't have such silliness in the UK, but New Jersey is a "No Fault" state.
Nobody is at fault and everyone is at fault, at least everyone seems to pay more.
It's crazy. A friend of mine was hit by a car while walking, and he had to get his medical paid by his own car insurance, even though he wasn't driving.
But I agree, file an insurance claim.

·
Registered
2007 CRV AWD
1,699 Posts
File insurance claim and get estimates.
Then wait for insurance company to answer.
They may decide that it was your fault and not pay.
So, it is up to you to decide to pay to fix it and hope the insurance company pays
Or to wait for an answer.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
8,164 Posts
Have been a Geico customer for more than 20 years now. Having had several accidents over the years that were the other drivers fault, or a no fault was determined for all parties, Geico has been outstanding in being the mediator and manager of needed repairs to my vehicles. It removes me completely from having to hassle with the other parties insurance company. It also insures my vehicle is repaired at a Geico affiliated repair center to Geico standards.

Even when the other party admits fault and agrees to have me contact their insurance, I still go directly to Geico and let them handle all the claims, processing, repair, and approvals. Reason: they are my insurance agent and they have my back, and the lawyers and claims adjusters to back it all up. If the other parties insurance tries to low ball the repairs, I Geico holds their feet to the fire.

I have even had a case of an uninsured motorist hitting the front quarter panel of my wife's vehicle, and of course they wanted to settle it all "on the side" allegedly saying they would pay for my repairs if I would not report the accident. Yeah... sure.. won't pay for insurance, why would I believe you would pay my repair costs?? Instead I went straight to Geico, who waived my collision deductible because I was hit by an uninsured driver, and approved full repair at a Geico affiliated repair center. They also then went after the other part to recover all costs too.

Good luck. At a minimum you will need a full evaluation of your bumpers integrity in addition to any cosmetic repairs.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,901 Posts
You probably don't have such silliness in the UK, but New Jersey is a "No Fault" state.
Nobody is at fault and everyone is at fault, at least everyone seems to pay more.
It's crazy. A friend of mine was hit by a car while walking, and he had to get his medical paid by his own car insurance, even though he wasn't driving.
But I agree, file an insurance claim.
Madness!

(But yeh, we DO have plenty of other insurance shenanigans.....)

·
Registered
2022 Hybrid Touring
80 Posts
If her insurance is paying, take it to a Honda dealer or a body shop that dealers use, so when you get it back it is fixed right and looks brand new.
Absolutely - there's actually crushable energy absorbing material behind the bumper that probably needs to be replaced, and there might be other damage that you can't see. If it's not your fault and you don't have to pay, then why roll that dice?

The sad thing is that it'll go on the car's CarFax report as having been in an accident, and that may bite you when you go to sell it.

·
Registered
2018 CRV Touring AWD
311 Posts
I filed a claim through my insurance and I wanted to speak with someone on the phone and it is taking over 2 hours (geico)
You already filed a claim, as you have stated. I am not 100% sure but my understanding is that once a claim is filed -- a claim is filed and can not be undone. You don't have to take settlement but your insurance will reflect the claim for several years. Seems silly to not follow through getting your vehicle fixed. Follow through seems important for your vehicle to be fixed correctly and to hold the other insurance company liable for the accident. Not following through lets the guilty party free from responsibility, makes you pay for everything and now you have a accident claim on your insurance. Why would you do that ???

·
Super Moderator
2007 Accord EX 2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
4,805 Posts
Have been a Geico customer for more than 20 years now. Having had several accidents over the years that were the other drivers fault, or a no fault was determined for all parties, Geico has been outstanding in being the mediator and manager of needed repairs to my vehicles. It removes me completely from having to hassle with the other parties insurance company. It also insures my vehicle is repaired at a Geico affiliated repair center to Geico standards.

Even when the other party admits fault and agrees to have me contact their insurance, I still go directly to Geico and let them handle all the claims, processing, repair, and approvals. Reason: they are my insurance agent and they have my back, and the lawyers and claims adjusters to back it all up. If the other parties insurance tries to low ball the repairs, I Geico holds their feet to the fire.

I have even had a case of an uninsured motorist hitting the front quarter panel of my wife's vehicle, and of course they wanted to settle it all "on the side" allegedly saying they would pay for my repairs if I would not report the accident. Yeah... sure.. won't pay for insurance, why would I believe you would pay my repair costs?? Instead I went straight to Geico, who waived my collision deductible because I was hit by an uninsured driver, and approved full repair at a Geico affiliated repair center. They also then went after the other part to recover all costs too.
I like the Gecko commercials, but Flo gave me a better price. :)
Two claims, both handled to my complete satisfaction.

Reactions: williamsji

·
Registered
2022 Hybrid Touring
80 Posts
I like the Gecko commercials...
Got hit by a guy with Geico insurance once (rear ended by somebody not paying attention, just like the OP). Gotta say that they were easy to deal with and took care of the repairs right away. They even paid for a rental while mine was being worked on.

·
Premium Member
2021 CRV EX-L
699 Posts
That's probably going to be over your deductible. Let your insurance company handle it. Don't attempt any repairs yourself.

·
Registered
490 Posts
A colleague had somebody hit him and it basically wrecked his car. He only had comprehensive and not collision. If the other driver had the same insurance company it wouldn’t have been a problem. Instead his insurance didn’t want to go after the other one for the money. I heard about it a lot during lunchtime walks. What a headache. I’m always afraid some bozo is going to rear-end me or my wife and ruin our older but in good mechanical condition but not worth much in the insurance company’s eyes cars. At least the hood thing about older cars is when a young guy sideswiped my wife over the summer I was able to say don’t worry about it. It’s only scratches to the clear coat.

What I’ve learned over the years—trust nobody and get the best documentation you can.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Sorry to hear of the accident.
Here's my advice.
Take your automobile to a Hinda dealership and have it checked out and the damage (and repair costs) documented.

Accidents can appear minor (cuz things are hidden) at the time, but things may be more serious and cause issues later on.
Insurance companies are not your friend.

Here's an example. (It happened to me.)
I had a chevrolet equinox (the car I traded in on my CR-V) that was rear ended.
My automobile was towed to an auto body shop and both insurance companies (the lady who ran into me and my own) took care of everything.
The automobile was returned to me looking better than when it was new.
SInce everthing (includinga a rental car) was being paid for by the insurance company, I didn't really think much more about it.
Except for the accident itself, eveyrone (the other driver, the auto body shop and the Insurance company) was wonderful.

What I found out LATER, after I got my car back, was that there was more damage than initially appeared.
The frame was bent.
Everything was repaired correctly and the vehicle was road worthly as per the great state of Wisconsin motor vehicle department.
BUT, this frame repair business then became a permanent part of the vehicles title.
So, when I went to trade it in for my CR-V, no "major" dealership in my area would give me any more for the vehicle than what they refered to as "Wholwsale" value.
Every dealershp told me that they would NOT put my automobile on their lot to sell cuz they simply don't sell automobiles with "comprimised" titles.
So, I ended up paying more for my CR-V than I would have paid had my trade in NOT been read ended.

In retrospect, I guess, if I had known that I would lose money on a trade in down the road due to the accident, I probably would have considered some sort of litigation in addition to simply have the automobile repaird.
I'm probably worng about this but I also think my insurance company should have advice me of the same.
They deal with this sort of thing all the time.
But again, the insurance cmpany is NOT your fried,

The moral of the story is that you really do need to do your homework with regards to repairing your car.
Find out EXACTLY what needs to be done an what the costs will be. My Honda dealership will perform the procedure and issue a written estimate for free.

Cuz it may end up costing you more than you think, down the road.

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
2018 CRV Touring AWD
311 Posts
"Cuz it may end up costing you more than you think, down the road."

It's called deminished value. That means because of the accident your vehicle will be worth thousands less than normal when you trade or retail the car. When a vehicle is involved in any type of accident, especially one that hits Carfax, you are not to settle until the insurance company pays the deminished value. The payment should cover any future loss beause of the accident causing a branded title to the vehicle.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I drive by this bodyshop that has tons of cars…tons. I see a lot of Geico cars and it just makes me think they pump out these cars and cut corners. I been in 3 accidents that was not my fault. I brought it to dealer and the car was detailed and looked brand new. Inside and out. I recall one time my insurance company went back to the order company and said the dealer needed more money. They wanted to do it right. Don’t have them tell you where to go.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey guys,

So I got rear ended today here is what happened; I went to get some groceries and I was going to pull onto a highway when a lady behind me hit me. We exchanged information and she gave me all her info driver's license, insurance info, and plates. It was her fault and she was in a hurry so she just left. I called the police because I wanted to get a police report and they told me to come to the station in person this is in NJ they gave me a paper and told me to file the report myself....

View attachment 152786

Anyway I added a picture of the damage which is not major but still its going to be a hassle and waste of time. The worst is the lower red reflector is broken and a piece of the bumper is damage. It does feel a bit loose. I wanted to ask you guys what is the best way to go about it in your opinion? I filed a claim through my insurance and I wanted to speak with someone on the phone and it is taking over 2 hours (geico)

I feel I could replace that light itself if I order the part. What would you guys recommend? it seems like going through insurance and stuff is a waste of time but I do want the lady to pay for it in a way to make her learn to be a safe driver. She told me she was distracted looking for a stupid restaurant...btw my car is a bit dirty because we are getting plowed through with nasty rain and snow at the moment which is why i havent cleaned it on the outside these days.
I had something similar happen to me a few months after I bought my 2020 Honda CR-V last year. I went through insurance and it was about $550 to replace the whole bumper. Mine wasn’t cracked really, but the guy hit me to where it was dented & I wanted to teach him a lesson. Now that there’s an accident reported on my CARFAX, instead of probably getting about $29,000 trade in value. I’d only get about $25,500 for it if I were to trade it in with the increase in trade in prices. Since you already reported it on your insurance, I don’t know if that already goes on your CARFAX.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts