Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2015 CR-V EX-L AWD Navi in Copper Sunset Pearl
6 Posts
Definitely go through your insurance company. You may have to pay up front your deductible and for a rental car, but both should be reimbursed later under subrogation. Make sure you request additional reimbursement for your vehicle’s "diminished value" from your insurance company through an "inherent diminished value claim" against the other driver's insurance due to the accident. Due to the accident history that will show up attached to your vehicle, your car has a documented vehicle history of being damaged, and therefore a lower resale value to any potential buyer. Ask your insurance company to apply 'Formula 17-C', and let you know what inherent diminished value amount they think is appropriate, and how to proceed. Good luck!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Should'a never let her leave.
Don't get it fixed while waiting for the process to work. The car is easily drinkable, drive it and wait for your insurance company to get it worked out with hers. Not your fault but you will get a blemish on your insurance record anyway. NJ, NY, same poisonous insurance policies. Everyone gets blamed.

Reactions: TheDarkKnight

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys,

So I got rear ended today here is what happened; I went to get some groceries and I was going to pull onto a highway when a lady behind me hit me. We exchanged information and she gave me all her info driver's license, insurance info, and plates. It was her fault and she was in a hurry so she just left. I called the police because I wanted to get a police report and they told me to come to the station in person this is in NJ they gave me a paper and told me to file the report myself....

View attachment 152786

Anyway I added a picture of the damage which is not major but still its going to be a hassle and waste of time. The worst is the lower red reflector is broken and a piece of the bumper is damage. It does feel a bit loose. I wanted to ask you guys what is the best way to go about it in your opinion? I filed a claim through my insurance and I wanted to speak with someone on the phone and it is taking over 2 hours (geico)

I feel I could replace that light itself if I order the part. What would you guys recommend? it seems like going through insurance and stuff is a waste of time but I do want the lady to pay for it in a way to make her learn to be a safe driver. She told me she was distracted looking for a stupid restaurant...btw my car is a bit dirty because we are getting plowed through with nasty rain and snow at the moment which is why i havent cleaned it on the outside these days.
Hey guys,

So I got rear ended today here is what happened; I went to get some groceries and I was going to pull onto a highway when a lady behind me hit me. We exchanged information and she gave me all her info driver's license, insurance info, and plates. It was her fault and she was in a hurry so she just left. I called the police because I wanted to get a police report and they told me to come to the station in person this is in NJ they gave me a paper and told me to file the report myself....

View attachment 152786

Anyway I added a picture of the damage which is not major but still its going to be a hassle and waste of time. The worst is the lower red reflector is broken and a piece of the bumper is damage. It does feel a bit loose. I wanted to ask you guys what is the best way to go about it in your opinion? I filed a claim through my insurance and I wanted to speak with someone on the phone and it is taking over 2 hours (geico)

I feel I could replace that light itself if I order the part. What would you guys recommend? it seems like going through insurance and stuff is a waste of time but I do want the lady to pay for it in a way to make her learn to be a safe driver. She told me she was distracted looking for a stupid restaurant...btw my car is a bit dirty because we are getting plowed through with nasty rain and snow at the moment which is why i havent cleaned it on the outside these days.
Don't pay for anything up front. A rear ender was obviously her fault so just lay the facts and evidence on your insurance company and they'll subrogate the lady's insurance company but do it now before she cancels her insurance and make certain you take it to a reputable body shop or a Honda dealership.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey guys,

View attachment 152786

Hey guys,

View attachment 152786

Too late for you, but I’d get an estimate first and then decide how to proceed. Like others have posted, your body shop may or may not report to Carfax and if they do your trade in value takes a downward dive....even for something as minor as this.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
8,189 Posts
Like others have posted, your body shop may or may not report to Carfax and if they do your trade in value takes a downward dive....even for something as minor as this.
It is a fairly minor repair (by today's standards) and only affects the bumper... which by the way did it's job of protecting the rest of the CRV... as it is designed to do. So.. just have the paperwork tucked away for when it is time to sell, because any reasonable buyer will want an explanation and if it is in fact just a bumper replacement, they will still buy it at full value.

A Carfax report might scare off some of the really superficial shoppers who simply see the flag and run, but the adults in the room actually looking for a good vehicle will at least check and verify the nature of any Carfax report before jumping the shark.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Highly recommend getting a dashcam - with a rear camera if possible. I captured an elderly gentleman getting hit by a redlight runner on his phone. The jerk came out immediately with the guy ahead me had run the red light. It's one thing to have a witness, it's another to have video evidence.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Absolutely - there's actually crushable energy absorbing material behind the bumper that probably needs to be replaced, and there might be other damage that you can't see. If it's not your fault and you don't have to pay, then why roll that dice?

The sad thing is that it'll go on the car's CarFax report as having been in an accident, and that may bite you when you go to sell it.
I have been hearing this a lot lately but for the life of me I can't figure why a PROPERLY repaired car would ever be worth less? Especially something as minor as this.

·
Premium Member
2019 Acura RDX Aspec
1,746 Posts
Hey guys,

View attachment 152786

that plastic bumper and reflector takes about 30 min to swap a new one. Im in nj and JUST threw out new reflectors in the box
I dont see anything on thr paint but thats an easy swap

lmk if u need help

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you don't report it to police there is no Carfax. Insurance companies do not provide accident reports unless they are forced to. But institutions such as police reports become public is how Carfax scans for information vehicles.

·
Registered
626 Posts
If it hasn't been mentioned, make sure photos are taken of the damage. Save them and when you sell the vehicle they can be used to show the extent of the damage.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey guys,

View attachment 152786

What I would do is follow the advice here by going to the dealers body shop (or who they recoomend) bc there can be damage that's not evident from the outside...

·
Registered
20 Posts
You probably don't have such silliness in the UK, but New Jersey is a "No Fault" state.
Nobody is at fault and everyone is at fault, at least everyone seems to pay more.
It's crazy. A friend of mine was hit by a car while walking, and he had to get his medical paid by his own car insurance, even though he wasn't driving.
But I agree, file an insurance claim.
Dude, you are so wrong and further from the truth. I was an auto damage supervisor for many years in New Jersey. A rear end collision is 100% the fault of the driver who rear ended the vehicle. Physical damage (collision) and bodily injuries along with personal injuries are totally separate animals. When in doubt, call the police and let them come to the scene immediately. The other person was in a hurry? Tough! You may have uncovered an unlicensed or uninsured person like I did when a woman rear ended my company car. Yes, that's right! She rear ended the insurance company vehicle. Cops said if I would have let her go on her merry way it would have been my word against hers that she was driving. And she had a child who wasn't seat belt secured who hit his head on their dashboard...Well, I'm going to jump off my soap box now...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey guys,

View attachment 152786

Beware! Every vehicle I have ever had that was rear ended has needed a new transmission within a minimum of two years and usually within a few months. It needs to be checked out at a minimum.

·
Super Moderator
8,189 Posts
If you don't report it to police there is no Carfax. Insurance companies do not provide accident reports unless they are forced to. But institutions such as police reports become public is how Carfax scans for information vehicles.
There is if repair shops report the repair to carfax. A lot of dealerships and independents will now sign you automatically for a carfax membeship when you have your vehicle serviced or repaired.

My Honda dealer began integrating CarFax into their service and repair cycles about 2 years ago. I now get CarFax email reports every month or two telling me what service I might be over due for (though that is speculation based mostly on time, since they have no way to audit miles).

Carfax is NOT the boogey man some folks believe it to be. The actual issue is surface level readers who are shopping for a vehicle and simply insist on excluding any vehicle with a CarFax report, basically mindlessly doing so. Which is hilarious, because I have CarFax reports on both my Hondas, and it shows regular maintenance performed as required by Honda, and NO repairs for collisions or other accidents.

·
Super Moderator
8,189 Posts
I have been hearing this a lot lately but for the life of me I can't figure why a PROPERLY repaired car would ever be worth less? Especially something as minor as this.
CarFax is actually valuable for both buyer and seller in today's market, as many such reports are also tracking manufacturer required service and maintenance too now days. CarFax IS branching out and providing more audit information on more things than just title and accident reports.

·
Registered
626 Posts
The other side of this if you are looking to buy a vehicle and one shows 2 accidents on the carfax report and the other has none, which would you choose?

·
Registered
384 Posts
What I would do is follow the advice here by going to the dealers body shop (or who they recoomend) bc there can be damage that's not evident from the outside...
Be careful.. The shop that the Honda dealer recommends near me is one of the poorest shops in the area. They do low ball high volume work. The salesman who I've known for years told me who they use and that their workmanship was poor.

I like one shop near me. They do good work and one guy does the paint work. The few jobs they have done for me looked great.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Similar thing happened to me last spring.
You should be contacting HER insurance company to file a claim.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2022 Hybrid Touring
87 Posts
People don't want to buy used cars that have been in accidents. I'm not defending that viewpoint, but that's the psychology.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You guys live in very law-abiding countries. I had a mini-bus taxi (a Toyota Quantum) drive into me and the car next to me in trying to squeeze between us. The other car rocked on its suspension quite a bit. The other car driver got out and I was about to, when I spotted the taxi driver had a gun in his hand. I took off fast and went to the police station. They were not really interested and just gave me a case number

The damage is slight (dented bumper and 2 scrape marks). One body shop fellow looked at me as if I was being ultra-fussy

21 - 40 of 41 Posts