Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, great site folks, was looking at some of the great pictures in the gallery as I am looking to change out the standard 18" rims with new DAI Autobahn or Nitro Targa's I think.

Has anyone had issues with their GPS? Ours will not find anything and we have tried everything possible. We went to HONDA Canada with multiple address examples that the unit can't find and they said "it's working the way it's supposed to and that there are no current up dates" For some of the addresses are 3yrs old, on the CRV GPS, it shows us sitting in a field. It is not an intuitive tool at all, we have had three other counsel GPS's in other vehicles and this one is the most backwards thing ever, crazy frustrating.

We have tried the service dept, the Ontario Honda Rep and Honda Canada, they will not swap the unit out and they will not give us our $$$$ back, it's about a $2,000 option. We bought this as a company car for my wife and she has to use a $300 TomTom to insure she reaches her destination. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated. This is our 4th Honda and there are many disappointments unfortunately, 6 months old and it's rusting as well.

Thanks, Jason.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yeah we found the GPS useless too. We use our phones instead. Where do you have rusting? Not to mention it doesn't show all the streets. Especially north of the GTA, and barely shows any street name in general.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
492 Posts
The GPS is great - it knows where you are - the Navigation software sucks big time as it appears to not have most of the roads and I drive thru fields on roads that have been there for a couple of years yet the MAPS.ME app has the the new roads within 2 weeks and can find my destination when the Honda Navi cannot.

Advise to all - do not waste your money on the Honda Navi. Just buy a $30 Android Phone and install MAPS.ME and the maps you need and use it instead of the crappy Honda Navi.

·
Registered
47 Posts
We have a RDX and it is no good either. My last 2 cars I've drove had navi and it's terrible. I use waze, works great for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
381 Posts
I agree too about the navigation. In addition to the above, it takes about 10+ steps just to enter an address. (very distracting and unsafe, unless you do it before you start your journey) I'm a waze user, too. Just say the name of the place or full address, and waze will take you there. It takes a few seconds instead of many minutes) It also has live traffic updates, current construction, speed traps, accidents, objects in road, and gets free map updates daily. I use the Honda Nav only as a last resort, and installed a nice lil bracket to hold (and charge) the phone.

·
Registered
579 Posts
People buy build-in navigation because it looks cool, not for function. :p

And no matter how many complaints and negative threads there are, people will keep buying it.

·
Registered
256 Posts
People buy build-in navigation because it looks cool, not for function.

And no matter how many complaints and negative threads there are, people will keep buying it.
Unfortunately, the way auto makers bundle options and trim levels, you don't always have a choice. You are forced to take the GPS if you want certain other bells and whistles.

Probably not an accident on their part.

Sent from my note 4 using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
381 Posts
So true. I love every extra feature of the Touring package, except the nav. But It still maintains the value of the vehicle, even if I dont use it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would have bought the EX-L without Nav if it had offered as options the safety gizmos that are included on the Touring. I have to admit, the bigger wheels and power cargo hatch are nice bonuses. We just don't use the Nav (Waze on iPhone instead).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, this seriously makes me feel so much better, I'm no further ahead but at least I'm not alone. Honda made it appear we were the crazy ones, at least I now know I'm not doing anything wrong.

This may be a mistake and I may get no where but we are going to take them to small claims court and ask for a new dash unit without GPS (this seems the most logical but they said they won't do it) or give us our $2,000 back, we likely won't win at that either but I'll give it a go. I have always been treated fairly by our dealer over the years and have never had a stitch of problems with previous Honda's, this time they more or less shooed us away. Thanks for your comments everyone. Jason.

Oh and the rust, this I found by accident when I noticed one of the little black access caps (I don't know what they are called) on the inside door frame had fallen out, it's all bubbled rust under them all. :( I had planned on keeping this car for about 10yrs but if there is surface rust after 6 months, who knows what I can't see.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree that the GPS is terrible. It came on my 2015 CRV Touring. Most of the time it shows me driving through a field or a lake. Also, Honda wants you to pay for yearly upgrades!!! Really!!! You can buy a Garmin or TomTom for $49 and get free lifetime upgrades on maps. Otherwise, I love the vehicle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts