Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
The best advice I have read about driving in snow if you aren't driving with chains is to treat the pedals like there is an egg under each of them. And if you have trouble getting up a hill, turn around unless you *know* it's a much more gentle slope on the other side. You do *not* want to climb a hill, and then run into somebody because you can't stop when going back down it.

·
Registered
556 Posts
AWD makes people believe their vehicle is unstoppable and they have more traction than four tires can provide..

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
425 Posts
curious, why are people in the very cold states where snow is normal still buy two wheel drives, and worse, cars with 2 wheel drives?

If I was in those states, no way would I drive anything less than awd's preferably 4x4's... just curious...
And Snow tires, it should be the norm, not the exception....

·
Registered
172 Posts
BBLee - a lot of factors - economics, the kind of driving you are subject to in the winter, how fast the roads/streets get cleared, etc.

As for snow tires, same thing - economics. Can you afford a 2nd set of tires (and wheels if you want to make switch easy)
Snow tires don't do good year round on dry roads.

Another tip not mentioned - don't drive with cruise control on down snowy/icy roads!

·
Registered
425 Posts
BBLee - a lot of factors - economics, the kind of driving you are subject to in the winter, how fast the roads/streets get cleared, etc.

As for snow tires, same thing - economics. Can you afford a 2nd set of tires (and wheels if you want to make switch easy)
Snow tires don't do good year round on dry roads.

Another tip not mentioned - don't drive with cruise control on down snowy/icy roads!
agree on economics is sole reason but....

switching tires is easy, i'll just do it myself, for snow tires, its like getting a set early thus your next tire change is much longer since you have two sets. Wheels are cheep.

2wd vs awd... considering maintenance... maybe so.... but insurance costs' doubles and repair bills are even more expensive when in a snow related accident.... just my thoughts.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
2wd vs awd... considering maintenance... maybe so.... but insurance costs' doubles and repair bills are even more expensive when in a snow related accident.... just my thoughts.
AWD does not prevent accidents. AWD helps you go; it does not help you stop or steer. In fact, AWD makes it *easier* to get into situations your tires and brakes can't get you out of. (e.g. It'll help you climb a hill where you cannot safely descend down the other side.)

·
Registered
425 Posts
AWD does not prevent accidents. AWD helps you go; it does not help you stop or steer. In fact, AWD makes it *easier* to get into situations your tires and brakes can't get you out of. (e.g. It'll help you climb a hill where you cannot safely descend down the other side.)
correct but pairing it with snow tires, that's the best option.
and correct, having an awd even with snow tires does not mean you can drive like its summertime.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
correct but pairing it with snow tires, that's the best option.
and correct, having an awd even with snow tires does not mean you can drive like its summertime.
Yes, AWD with snow tires is the best option. But AWD still doesn't prevent accidents; an AWD with snow tires will get in as many (maybe even more) accidents than a 2WD.

·
Registered
653 Posts
We had ice on the road and my car was sideswiped when the driver couldn't stop fast enough with his "bullet proof" 4WD. The fool actually got out of his SUV and said he couldn't understand why his 4WD system failed.

Nope, you really can't fix stupid.

·
Registered
339 Posts
That is my only concern abut a full-time AWD. It can hid true road conditions until you hit the breaks. About the only prudence you can do is occasionally, under safe conditions, checking your breaking ability ever now and then esp under changing conditions.

My old Pathfinder PT 4WD, for all it weakness, I usually knew ever new take-off how bad the road conditions where while in 2WD mode. LOL

·
Registered
679 Posts
curious, why are people in the very cold states where snow is normal still buy two wheel drives, and worse, cars with 2 wheel drives?

If I was in those states, no way would I drive anything less than awd's preferably 4x4's... just curious...
I’m in New Hampshire, the 3 dealerships I hit had only AWD crv’s on their lots

·
Registered
556 Posts

Driven in all kinds of snow in Iowa, West Virginia, Arkansas and Colorado in a front wheel drive car.

Lots of times driving right by AWD vehicles off in the median or ditch.

Its all in the TIRES my friend.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
In the last 55 years I have driven about every type of vehicle that is made. Having worked for three different car makers I drove every model with every option they produced. Front engine RWD, (subset....Front engine, rear transmission RWD) Front engine FWD, Front engine AWD, front engine 4WD, Mid engine RWD (terrible in snow!) Rear engine RWD, and so on. I have driven about every type of AWD system produced; full time, part time, on demand, Split torque, electrically switched, viscus clutch, etc. I have driven these vehicle types in all type of weather and road conditions from bone dry, wet, heavy rain, light and heavy snow, a few blizzards, ice, etc. both in the US and the Alps in Winter. And, not that it matters, but I have never crashed any of these vehicles nor gotten stuck in any condition including black ice, etc.

What I have learned over the years:
1) You have to be aware of the road conditions at all times. I will often go slow and apply the brakes at a controlled rate to get a feel for traction conditions. I want to know the limits of my vehicle and its adhesion to the road surface. (The company does not like it when you crash a quarter of a million dollar hand made pre-production vehicle you were entrusted with, especially when you have to use it for a training class the next day).

2) There is no magic system that can prevent you from making stupid mistakes. Yes, the vehicle can do its best but in the end you are were the buck stops. If you are stupid you may win stupid prizes.

3) Speed is your enemy, over confidence is never your friend.

4) Good tires appropriate to the road conditions always help. "All Season" tires will never do as well as dedicated snow tires.

5) Nothing works great on ice. Even 40+ ton army tanks with steel treads will slide off icy roads like they were toys. (Studded snow tires will however do better than non-studded ones).

OH, and when people talk about AWD they always get hung up on snow, as if that were the only condition were AWD mattered. Far from it. Fact is I will not buy an SUV without AWD and it has nothing to do with snow rather it has everything to do with day-to-day driving, wet roads, sand on the road, wet grass, oil slicks and so many other conditions that have nothing to do with snow.
Look up the resale value of a AWD CR-V (or other vehicle) compared to the FWD version. You may well lose money when you buy a FWD and then go to sell it some years later. In many places the used vehicle price for a FWD CR-V is thousands less than a AWD model. Doesn't matter if the person "needs" AWD or not, they will pay much more for it.

You can have your own opinion. You can quote any article you want, it doesn't matter. People feel the way they do and will act on their emotions and feelings, its just human nature. And, believe it or not, AWD is better in "normal" driving. Ask Audi how that "Quattro" did for them.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Yes, AWD with snow tires is the best option. But AWD still doesn't prevent accidents; an AWD with snow tires will get in as many (maybe even more) accidents than a 2WD.
Sorry, but let's make a FACTUAL statement: AWD does not get you into an accident, poor driving gets you into an accident.

·
Registered
2018 Touring
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
In a perfect world we would all be on a set of dedicated snow tires with AWD in a snowstorm. That said I'd take FWD with 2 Nokians in front over AWD with even the best all season tires. Reason? The priority is braking and steering which are almost entirely the domain of the front tires.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Sorry, but let's make a FACTUAL statement: AWD does not get you into an accident, poor driving gets you into an accident.
Whatever. I'm not going to argue semantics with you.

This was shorthand for my previous posts where I pointed out that AWD can get you into situations that your brakes and tires can't get you out of. I'm not saying AWD isn't useful, just that it doesn't prevent accidents, which is what the poster I was responding to was asserting.

·
Registered
679 Posts
AWD can get you into situations that your brakes and tires can't get you out of.
I drive snow and ice all the time, and agree wth Hans471 that it’s the driver that gets himself into trouble not AWD. Can you give an example to explain better what you just posted?

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.