Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there,

I am the proud owner of a new-to-me 2000 CR-V Limited, which I absolutely love. The dash lighting is pretty low, and tonight I drove my V in the dark for the first time and noticed that the square "check engine" light was glowing green. I thought this was a little strange, as usually check engine lights are yellow or red. Does anyone have any input on this? Does the green light mean I may have an engine issue, or is this some sort of "Honda reassurance" that all is well under the hood?

Many thanks, and looking forward to participating more in the forums -- they were a big help to me as I was shopping for my V!

crossrock

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I have a 2000 CRV as well and my check engine light is yellow and round/engine shaped with the word check in the middle. It should be visible when you first turn the key on, but before you actually start the engine. I believe what you are seeing is the "service" light below the speedometer. That one is basically just a light to tell you when to change the oil. It is green when all is good and when it is time for service it turns red. There is a slot in the dash right by it that you stick the ignition key into to reset the light after you have changed your oil. It probably somehow ties into changing transmission and differential fluid too.

Also, there is a knob on the left side of the steering wheel that you can turn up or down to adjust the brightness of the dash lightning.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I also have 98 and 00 crv and really happy with them. Very reliable and spacious car. I just shifted my home in it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for this, Shryp. I just went out and put the key in the ignition, and you're right, the "check engine" light is yellow and round and in a totally different spot on the dash console. I think the placement of that little glowing light near the label "maintenance required" below the speedometer threw me off. Kind of nice to know that the car will let me know when it really needs an oil change, though! I couldn't find this info anywhere else online - thanks for taking the time to post it and to subsequently ease my mind!

cross

1 - 4 of 4 Posts