Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the cold weather (10F) right now my daughters 2005 CRV, which we bought 2 years ago in Los Angeles, is now developing transmission problems. Prognosis does not look good. Thought I'd join and see what the site has to offer.

·
Registered
2007 EX-L Front Wheel Drive with Navigation.
679 Posts
Greetings and welcome to the Forum!

Please tell us what is going on to indicate transmission problems.

My brother lives outside of Minnepolis and it is 0 degress in his area. Oh burrrrr, now I am very happy to be living in the Southwest!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Epona, @133k the high whining sound when start up is consistent for about 1 hour. The cold does not help. After warm up the trans still slips in and out of drive until driven for about 1/2 hour. Shifting from drive to reverse makes a lot of clunking. Just got a quote this morning from Honda in Madison for 4K USD. Man....what a disappointment with Honda as I have read this is a problem with the CRV's and is not being addressed by the manufacturer.

·
Registered
99 CR-V
191 Posts
Not that it would help, but the 1st thing that I'd do is change the ATF. Your trans might last a long time, but I doubt it. I had a friend that had a FWD Dodge, I think a LeBaron. He drove it for, like, 2 years w/just 2nd and reverse.

I'd start looking for a JDM used trans.

The dealer quoted you a price for a new or rebuilt trans, and the cost of replacing it...as your trans is terminal...there are no quick fixes for it.

·
Registered
2007 EX-L Front Wheel Drive with Navigation.
679 Posts
Thanks Epona, @133k the high whining sound when start up is consistent for about 1 hour. The cold does not help. After warm up the trans still slips in and out of drive until driven for about 1/2 hour. Shifting from drive to reverse makes a lot of clunking. Just got a quote this morning from Honda in Madison for 4K USD. Man....what a disappointment with Honda as I have read this is a problem with the CRV's and is not being addressed by the manufacturer.
Wish I could help you out. All I can say is is there a garage or trusted mechanic or both that you can get a second opinion?

·
Registered
24 Posts
2WD or 4WD?

Trans flush is always worth a shot, your fluid condition can tell you quite a bit about what is happening.

If it's really shot I would source a used transmission (Craigslist, junkyard etc) and have a local mechanic swap it for you. This will get your cost down significantly, like less than half the dealer quote.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.