Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys!
I have a 07 CRV I bought with 120,000 miles and is doing great! But, this just started last week. I back up slowly and while I slowly turn to left and the right I hear a low hum. Not loud though. Put the wheel straight and no hum.
Go forward to drive and no hum. Forward turning left or right no hum. So just in backing. So, any ideas? When I bought the car from somebody who knows what things they changed as in parts and fluid. But I have new brakes all the way around new tires but this hum was all before that. Lil Help? 馃檪
Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Car
2007 crv-ex-l. 140,000 mi.

Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
WELCOME. Since you have an issue, I've moved your post to the Gen3 area.

Any record of power steering fluid replacement?

there is no specified replacement interval from Honda, but many of us have done it around 100,000 miles. It is as easy as sucking the old fluid out of the reservoir, either with a turkey baster or an old pump sprayer...then refilling. Repeat every few days, until you have used up two twelve oz bottles of GENUINE Honda PS fluid. <--another fluid with specific characteristics

Could be other things, like old, hard tires. Or (if 4WD) rear differential fluid.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WELCOME. Since you have an issue, I've moved your post to the Gen3 area.

Any record of power steering fluid replacement?

there is no specified replacement interval from Honda, but many of us have done it around 100,000 miles. It is as easy as sucking the old fluid out of the reservoir, either with a turkey baster or an old pump sprayer...then refilling. Repeat every few days, until you have used up two twelve oz bottles of GENUINE Honda PS fluid. <--another fluid with specific characteristics

Could be other things, like old, hard tires. Or (if 4WD) rear differential fluid.
Thank you! I鈥檒l look into that. Have new tires. It is 4x4 yes. The diff. Oil change is what I thought too. I鈥檒l change that first. Not sure if it had ever been done. 馃槒

Registered
(I'm having PS issues too)

Amazon sells "Honda PS fluid" (Sold by MPartsman)

NAPA sells "Idemitsu (Guaranteed to fit your vehicle)".

Which is a better bet, considering Amazon has a lot of fakes, apparently?
I buy components on-line. I've used Hondapartsnow, but shop around for sure.
I only use OEM fluids for transmission, rear diff, etc.
It's your vehicle, you decide what you want to do.

The NGK fake story is fact. The guy contacted NGK and they didn't show his batch number.
He has comparison pictures and documents, but hey, do whatever floats your boat.
I don't have to drive it.....lol

Hey guys!
I have a 07 CRV I bought with 120,000 miles and is doing great! But, this just started last week. I back up slowly and while I slowly turn to left and the right I hear a low hum. Not loud though. Put the wheel straight and no hum.
Go forward to drive and no hum. Forward turning left or right no hum. So just in backing. So, any ideas? When I bought the car from somebody who knows what things they changed as in parts and fluid. But I have new brakes all the way around new tires but this hum was all before that. Lil Help? 馃檪2007 crv-ex-l. 140,000 mi.
If I understand you correctly, it only makes the noise in reverse.
I would be more inclined to point to the rear differential fluid service first.
If that didn't resolve the issue, transmission fluid service next.
Need more info on where this noise is coming from.

Registered
'08 EX 2WD 90k miles
I buy components on-line. I've used Hondapartsnow, but shop around for sure.
I only use OEM fluids for transmission, rear diff, etc.
It's your vehicle, you decide what you want to do.

The NGK fake story is fact. The guy contacted NGK and they didn't show his batch number.
He has comparison pictures and documents, but hey, do whatever floats your boat.
I don't have to drive it.....lol
There are a lot of fakes on Amazon, for sure. The fake NGK plugs were "Sold by (some nobody), Fulfilled by Amazon". The big question is, when stuff is "Sold by Amazon", can it be fake also?

BTW NAPA says "Idemitsu is an OEM Manufacturer". I'll probably go with that, although recycling used PS fluid is a bit of a pain for me.

If I were to go to a mechanic, I wonder which fluid they'd use.

Registered
I don't think the OP has a pwr steering issue at this time.
If the manufacturer calls for specific fluid or additive then that is what I use.
This goes for Honda, GM, Ford, etc.
I spend enough time trouble shooting to wonder if the alternative fluid/s I used will have long term effect for the worse.
So for me, it's use it and forget it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I understand you correctly, it only makes the noise in reverse.
I would be more inclined to point to the rear differential fluid service first.
If that didn't resolve the issue, transmission fluid service next.
Need more info on where this noise is coming from.
Only makes the hum sound turn to left or right while backing up. No noise going back only when a turn backing up. I have been thinking the differential. Having my mechanic check with me.. I want to change the oil anyway so let ya know.. thanks! :)

Registered
'08 EX 2WD 90k miles
I don't think the OP has a pwr steering issue at this time.
If the manufacturer calls for specific fluid or additive then that is what I use.
This goes for Honda, GM, Ford, etc.
I spend enough time trouble shooting to wonder if the alternative fluid/s I used will have long term effect for the worse.
So for me, it's use it and forget it.
Sure, but the point is that even if it says "OEM" or "Honda Genuine", on the bottle, it might not be.

OP, I'm no expert but try this:

Turn the engine on, leave the car in park. Turn the wheel to one side or the other. Is it smooth and silent? If so, it probably is NOT power steering.

It might be CV joints. IDK.

The problem with blindly going to a mechanic is that they are incentivized to sell you expensive stuff. Instead of a PS fluid flush, they might sell you on some labor expensive part replacement. Scotty Kilmer actually had a video called "How to fix your power steering (quick)" or something like that. Maybe it might help.

Registered
'08 EX 2WD 90k miles
Sure it is if it's from a reputable company.
I don't think HondaPartsNow sells PS fluid. 1AAuto neither. Searching there turns up nothing. NAPA sells "OEM" at least. I'm not sure which one of them is more reputable than the others, but NAPA has brick-and-mortar stores everywhere, while HondaPartsNow are drop-shippers (according to reddit).

Registered
I buy my fluids from the dealership.
I think a case of ATF was a little over $100, but that was several years ago and I got two.
I'm down to 3/4 of a case and now that I have 2 Honda's it won't last long.
I change all my fluids when the maintenance minder says and I even do it when I have spare time at my leisure.
I even bought Honda type 2 antifreeze, but I think a equivalent asian blue would be just fine and would use it in a pinch.

I don't want to highjack the OP thread so I'll end with:
I don't buy parts from amazon.

Moderate
Pretty sure it's the rear diff. Original Honda fluid is cheap enough. Just looking at my invoice from 2021: 鈧35.36(+tax)for 2 litres (full change).

Reactions: TheDarkKnight

Registered
Hey guys!
Go forward to drive and no hum. Forward turning left or right no hum. So just in backing. So, any ideas? When I bought the car from somebody who knows what things they changed as in parts and fluid. But I have new brakes all the way around new tires but this hum was all before that. Lil Help? 馃檪 View attachment 153022 View attachment 153022 View attachment 153022 2007 crv-ex-l. 140,000 mi.
Bearing hub assemblies, possibly. The mileage indicates that its about time for them.

Registered
I also have 07 with 122000 miles when I bought it in august.Couple of months after driving it same sound only when turning wheels when backing up.Changed the rear differential fluid noise went away.Hadit done cost 70 dollars.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts