Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to having a CR-V and just wanted to introduce myself and the few things that I've done so far. I picked up a 2016 Crystal Black CR-V EX in December. So far, I've installed the auto dimming rearview mirror, swapped to the Touring projector headlights, installed a XenonSupply 35W 4300K HID kit (they definitely get whiter over time, for those wondering), WeatherTech rain guards (very low profile), OEM all weather mats and trunk liner, tinted the front windows to match the rear, and vinyled the front grille black (two chrome bars only). The truck has been stellar so far and is getting 27+ MPG with winter gas and daily driving through traffic. Next mod will be laying vinyl over the rear chrome bar (not looking to paint wheels black or change the look, just think the styling looks better on the black without all of the "bling"). This is a great forum that has definitely inspired most of these ideas, but I haven't seen anyone play with the grille and have only seen one other member play with swapping the headlights. Thanks for all of the great ideas and inspiration!

A pic from the front, I'll snap an overall pic this weekend. :)

IMG_3084.jpg

·
Registered
45 Posts
Your CRV's progress looks very nice! Congrats on the new ride and enjoy it!

If you don't mind me asking where did you end up getting your tint work done at? Asking since my brother is in the DMV area and needs to get his CRV tinted. Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your CRV's progress looks very nice! Congrats on the new ride and enjoy it!

If you don't mind me asking where did you end up getting your tint work done at? Asking since my brother is in the DMV area and needs to get his CRV tinted. Thanks.
I got the tint done at Performance Window Tinting in Columbia, MD. I went with their mid-line tint in 25% (the rear tested to 28%). The only issue is that the hue is a little off (between the factory tint, which is a grey, and most which have a greenish or brownish hue), but it is slight and only noticeable from inside.

For my last car (and I would have used them again for the CRV, if I wasn't so antsy to get it done), I used Absolute Perfection in Sykesville, MD.

Both places had excellent service, but Absolute Perfection uses LLumar tint with a lifetime warranty for around the same price. If your brother decides to use AP, make sure he Googles for their coupons -- they always have some sale off of their pricing.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I got the tint done at Performance Window Tinting in Columbia, MD. I went with their mid-line tint in 25% (the rear tested to 28%). The only issue is that the hue is a little off (between the factory tint, which is a grey, and most which have a greenish or brownish hue), but it is slight and only noticeable from inside.

For my last car (and I would have used them again for the CRV, if I wasn't so antsy to get it done), I used Absolute Perfection in Sykesville, MD.

Both places had excellent service, but Absolute Perfection uses LLumar tint with a lifetime warranty for around the same price. If your brother decides to use AP, make sure he Googles for their coupons -- they always have some sale off of their pricing.
Thanks so much!!! Greatly appreciate the advice.

·
Registered
59 Posts
awesome. Can you post a photo of the rainguards and any info about them? s far all the ones I have seen people have installed over the chrome and it doesn't look right. Thanks

·
Registered
511 Posts
Nice...welcome

·
Registered
45 Posts
FWD or AWD (curious about gas mileage)?
Not to thread jack, but my brother's 2016 AWD Touring easily gets at least 31 mpg when doing 20% city driving and 80% highway driving. I can ask him about a more city driving ratio in regard to mpg, if needed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all. My CR-V is an AWD and while majority of my driving is highway, it's in stop-and-go DC traffic on the way to/from work. I'm not sure if it's great or not (27.4MPG since buying it in Dec), but it's much better than my BMW which takes premium and gets about the same.

The rain guards are WeatherTech brand and fit inside the window channels (as opposed to on top of the door trim, like the Honda ones). When you first jam them in, you have to leave the windows up for about a day and the seals in the window channel seem to form around them. They sit MUCH closer to the window/door than the other types that I've seen. Overall, I'm satisfied with them and they do what I want (allow me to crack the windows when I'm at work), but they do add a little bit of wind noise. It's not enough to bother me or even turn the radio louder, but it annoys my girlfriend (who also has a new CR-V and notices the small difference).

Here's what they look like on:

IMG_3164.jpg IMG_3160.jpg

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sounds like good mileage for AWD in stop and go highway traffic. The rain guards looks very nice!

Thanks all. My CR-V is an AWD and while majority of my driving is highway, it's in stop-and-go DC traffic on the way to/from work. I'm not sure if it's great or not (27.4MPG since buying it in Dec), but it's much better than my BMW which takes premium and gets about the same.

The rain guards are WeatherTech brand and fit inside the window channels (as opposed to on top of the door trim, like the Honda ones). When you first jam them in, you have to leave the windows up for about a day and the seals in the window channel seem to form around them. They sit MUCH closer to the window/door than the other types that I've seen. Overall, I'm satisfied with them and they do what I want (allow me to crack the windows when I'm at work), but they do add a little bit of wind noise. It's not enough to bother me or even turn the radio louder, but it annoys my girlfriend (who also has a new CR-V and notices the small difference).

Here's what they look like on:

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm new to having a CR-V and just wanted to introduce myself and the few things that I've done so far. I picked up a 2016 Crystal Black CR-V EX in December. So far, I've installed the auto dimming rearview mirror, swapped to the Touring projector headlights, installed a XenonSupply 35W 4300K HID kit (they definitely get whiter over time, for those wondering), WeatherTech rain guards (very low profile), OEM all weather mats and trunk liner, tinted the front windows to match the rear, and vinyled the front grille black (two chrome bars only). The truck has been stellar so far and is getting 27+ MPG with winter gas and daily driving through traffic. Next mod will be laying vinyl over the rear chrome bar (not looking to paint wheels black or change the look, just think the styling looks better on the black without all of the "bling"). This is a great forum that has definitely inspired most of these ideas, but I haven't seen anyone play with the grille and have only seen one other member play with swapping the headlights. Thanks for all of the great ideas and inspiration!

A pic from the front, I'll snap an overall pic this weekend. :)

View attachment 58857
Which dealer did you purchase from? I live in Howard County and tried went to O'Donell and Jim Coleman which are both close by but I ended up purchasing my CR-V from Browns in Arlington, VA because they were offering the best deal by far.
Also, have you had any of the vibration issues on your CR-V?

·
Registered
83 Posts

I've also been looking for a tint shop and Google showed the two shops you mentioned as being top rated. I was waiting on a Groupon from Performance Tinting but if I can get a discount coupon for AP, I might try them. I see coupons on their website but usually the coupons are good for a complete (4 window minimum) tint. Not sure if they would work for two windows.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've also been looking for a tint shop and Google showed the two shops you mentioned as being top rated. I was waiting on a Groupon from Performance Tinting but if I can get a discount coupon for AP, I might try them. I see coupons on their website but usually the coupons are good for a complete (4 window minimum) tint. Not sure if they would work for two windows.
Not sure what part of Howard County you are in, but if you aren't far from Rockville, check out Winners Window Tint. Several relatives have used them and the tint jobs looks great. If you Parkville in Baltimore County isn't a hike, D&L Window Tinting is another reputable shop, which some of my friends have used.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Which dealer did you purchase from? I live in Howard County and tried went to O'Donell and Jim Coleman which are both close by but I ended up purchasing my CR-V from Browns in Arlington, VA because they were offering the best deal by far.
Also, have you had any of the vibration issues on your CR-V?
Ended up picking mine up at Norris in Dundalk. They offered the best price, plus two years of free maint. and carwashes (I'm a little skeptical of what the free carwash is though). The best part is that they are owned by the same people as Norris Acura in Elliott City and I can go there for all of my service. :) If you're interested, I worked with John and he was fantastic -- not pushy or like a salesman at all.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts