Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello -

I'm Bob and was a long time member of that other Honda forum for CR-Vs, that is now dead and gone.
I finally gave up on it's resurrection, and have come over here.

My first CR-V was a 1999 Milano "Pink" 5 speed manual transmission model that I bought new in Indiana.
In 2009 I bought a used 2006 CR-V 5 speed because I couldn't face driving an automatic, and sold the '99 to another CR-V enthusiast.
In 2014 I traded in the 2006 on a 2014 CR-V automatic in White Diamond Pearl.

Bob...
racoon

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Welcome to the forum Bob. Share a picture of your CR-V when you can. Lots of good info and members here. Cheers!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Welcome aboard matey...

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Like your new one in white, its my current favorite CR-V color. Your '06 looks to be excellently cared for. It won't last long on the lot! Good pix. JimBob

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jimbob - odd story about shopping for the 2014. I visited one dealer in the Nashville area to discuss buying a 2014, and after quoting me a price on the 2014, the sales manager went out to assess the trade in value on my 2006. He was saying nice things about it as he walked around it, until he opened the driver's door and noticed it was a manual transmission. He immediately closed the door and said they didn't want it, as it was impossible to sell a manual transmission CR-V. They eventually offered me an amount that was way below the low blue book on it. They also quoted me sticker price on the 2014 CR-V.

I contacted another Honda dealer that was about 30 minutes farther away, and told them what I was looking for, and that I had a 5 speed manual 2006 to trade in.
They were immediately interested in the 2006, and even mentioned they had a waiting list of people who wanted manual transmissions.
At the second dealer they not only offered me a lot more for my 2006, they also got me a lower purchase price on 2014 EX.
I bought the 2014 new, so it's been a few years, but I think I saved about US $2,500 over the "deal" the first dealer had offered me.

And I kept checking the used car listings for the dealer that took the 2006, and it was listed for about a week before being marked as sold.
I never went back to the first dealer, and took all of my service business to the second dealer from then on, even though it was farther away.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks jimbob, I tried to take good care of the 2006, and I take good care of my 2014.

I bought the 2014 in October 2014, and the dealer I bought from was very happy to get the 2006 with manual trans. They had a waiting list of people who wanted a CR-V with a manual transmission, and it was on their lot for less than a week after I traded it in.

The other Honda dealer in the area hated manual transmissions for some reason, and gave me an insulting low trade in offer. When I questioned the amount, the sales manage told me it was impossible to sell vehicles with manual transmissions, and no one wanted a manual. So I left and called the other Honda dealer.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gdahl - thanks, I do like the newer Hondas.

By newer I mean since the introduction of the Civic and the CVCC engine.

My very first Honda was a 1972 Honda N600. It was a fun little car to drive, but was very under powered, as the engine was basically a modified two cylinder 600cc motorcycle engine. Great fuel mileage, as I got over 40 mpg during the fuel shortages of the mid-70s, even though I was young and stupid, and drove it very hard. I think down hill, with a tailwind, it could hit 60 MPH (~ 96 KPH).

And small! I'm 5' 9" tall, and I could sit in the drivers seat with my left shoulder touching the door, and stick my right hand out the right side window. And the tires were very hard to find, since they were 10 inches in diameter.

The place I worked when I first bought the N600 had a lot of guys who thought they were funny.
One night when I left work I found that four of them had picked it up and turned it sideways in the parking spot.
Fortunately, I was late leaving work and one of the cars I had parked next too had moved, so I didn't have any problem.

I'm sure everyone has seen a Smart 4 Two car.
A Smart is 106" long (~ 8.8 feet or 2.7 meters).
A Honda N600 is 118" long (~ 9.8 feet or 3 meters).

For comparison, a US 2014 CR-V is 178" long (~ 14.8 feet or 4.5 meters).

·
Registered
478 Posts
Welcome Racoon from your neighbor north of you. I went to TTU back in the late 60's/early 70's and just loved the area. I remember seeing the first USA imported Honda back then at a auto show. I was into American muscle cars and the little Honda looked so out of place!

We also have a 2014 CRV and so far just love it. I recently set the Honda up with a base plate, M&G Engineering braking system and taillight wiring so we can tow it behind our motorhome, although we haven't had a chance to try it out yet. Its first trip behind the motorhome will probably be to Canaan Valley State Park in West Virginia in January/February for our annual snow skiing trip there.

Hope to see you post often here. Enjoy your fall!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts