Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 CRV with about 123k on it. In the last year I noticed that occasionally when we would start it up after sitting for a while it would start fine, but a second or 2 later it would make this quick grinding noise. I haven't been able to figure out what it is. The car runs fun and shifts smoothly. Lately I have noticed that there is a similar noise as you accelerate then it goes away. If you put the car in neutral and rev the engine it doesn't do it. If you are starting off and accelerate you can hear it, but can't feel it or anything. It usually goes up until right before the shift or if you hear it and the car doesn't shift it seems to go away around 3500RPMs (maybe). We have been talking about trading this in on something larger for a while and just when I am looking at trading it in the car now starts to flash the oil pressure light. It just did it today on a quick 1 mile run to the home depot and back. Only at low idle speeds and only for a second.

Is it possible I have a failing oil pump and the noise I am hearing is due to the low pressure affecting the vtec?
Does this sound more like a transmission issue since I can rev it in neutral and not get the noise?

I am really looking for some suggestions here. I don't want to try and dump this on a dealer and I am also worried that the sound may show up and they might not be interested. I do a lot of my work as long as it isn't engine internals and would be willing do check some things out if you have suggestions.

·
Registered
2007 CRV AWD
1,512 Posts
Hoping that it is something simple, have you checked the oil level?
When was the last oil change?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hoping that it is something simple, have you checked the oil level?
When was the last oil change?
So.. I came in and posted this while the car sat on level ground to go out and check the oil level. It was off the dipstick. This car has had the oil consumption test from honda and they said it was ok. there is still 50% oil life left according to the dash reading. I haven't had a car burn through that much oil since my FRM sleeved 91 prelude. There is no noticeable drips or puffs of white smoke. I changed the oil and I am incredibly Anal. I check it and then even check it the next day after it has sat.

So after filling it up with oil I am back to just the normal struts bumping like crazy, even though they have been replaced, noises. I feel better about this, but there is no way this car should burn through that much oil. I assume this must have been the vtec valves not working correctly due to low oil pressure?

·
Registered
2007 CRV AWD
1,512 Posts
IDK. My 2007 CRV doesn't really burn a lot of oil
So I don't know if that was causing your other issues

·
Registered
1999 CRV Lx
634 Posts
Check the oil condition. At 50% life it should still show clean. If its dark brown almost black if not black it's not good,
Is the EO 100% synthetic(good brand)?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2010 CRV, with 169,000 miles, uses about 1/2 qt. of oil every 1,000 miles. I didn't realize that until the engine began "rattling" when I went around corners (evidently due to the low oil sloshing away from the oil pump pickup) -- this happened at 4,000 miles after an oil change. The dipstick was dry when I checked, and I added 2.5 quarts of oil to bring it up to the full mark. I asked the dealer about that when I took the car in for service, and the tech told me that Honda doesn't consider it a problem until oil consumption exceeds a quart/1,000 miles.
My first car was a 1969 BMW 1600, that also used oil, which it was designed to do as part of engine cooling while running fast on the German autobahns. So, I'm not too concerned about my CRV using the oil it does. I just need to be better about checking the oil level every few weeks.

·
Not-a-Mechanic
2011 CR-V 4WD EX
527 Posts
Seems fairly normal for these to use a quart around 50% oil life. Surprised me the first time, coming from a Gen. 5 Accord which never used oil between changes. Now I overfill at oil change (like 8-10 oz.), add about a quart at 50%. No worries.

·
Registered
24 Posts
EDIT:

Sorry, you mention the VTEC engine. I auto assume Diesel here in the UK.

I'm hearing a similar sound that I believe is the Power Steering Pump. The symptoms to back this theory up is it's noisy and vibrates. I'm about to investigate the o-rings etc.

Low Engine oil and no signs of a Leak could also be the Turbo. If the oil became too low or maybe you had a few too many very short journeys on low oil, then maybe the turbo bearings were very temporarily starved of oil destroying the bearings. This can also create a rattle (when they hit the side of the turbo casing), that generally won't last much longer, though I've seen some turbo blades like they've been in a war and still manages to turn.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts