Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the group. I have a 2010 CR-V . 135k miles just bought it. Right after I start it almost instantly it makes a grinding noise for 1-2 seconds then goes away. I replaced the VVT solenoid. Still making the noise maybe even worse. It only does this on a cold start. After the cars been running it will not make the noise. Usually takes sitting for at least 4-5 or more hours to make the grinding noise. Oils been changed a few times so it’s nice and clean. What is making the grinding noise and how do I fix it.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,789 Posts
Even then you may still have the noise.

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,185 Posts
With 135k on it, I wouldn't overlook the possiblity of the timing chain/chain tensioner issue. While the VTC actuator rattle won't cause harm to the engine, if a loose timing chain jumps gear teeth it can damage the engine. This is something to have check out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
New to the group. I have a 2010 CR-V . 135k miles just bought it. Right after I start it almost instantly it makes a grinding noise for 1-2 seconds then goes away. I replaced the VVT solenoid. Still making the noise maybe even worse. It only does this on a cold start. After the cars been running it will not make the noise. Usually takes sitting for at least 4-5 or more hours to make the grinding noise. Oils been changed a few times so it’s nice and clean. What is making the grinding noise and how do I fix it.

·
Registered
7 Posts

I have the same issue on my 2010 CRV. Only on a cold start metallic vibrating grinding noise. My local mechanic welded some stuff and replaced the starter to the tune of 1000$ and still there. Because it only happens when cold probably hard to diagnose. So I left it in the hands of my brother for a week who is a lifelong Honda mechanic and the verdict was as follows: It is the variable valve timing actuator leaking oil while the engine is off and when engine restarts actuator makes a noise till it is recharged with oil pressure. Once oil charge is restored engine operates normally. My bro says Honda put out a notice on it a few years back. It is an expensive fix,1100$, but so they say not damaging to the car. Not great for trade in value! My bro also said to go to a Honda mechanic in the first place. They are more expensive seemingly, but not really in the end.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
I wouldn't overlook the possibility that your starter solenoid is sticking in the engaged position after starting, instead of disengaging immediately like it is supposed to.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I wouldn't overlook the possibility that your starter solenoid is sticking in the engaged position after starting, instead of disengaging immediately like it is supposed to.
If it was the starter solenoid wouldn’t it happen on every start instead of just on cold start?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the same issue on my 2010 CRV. Only on a cold start metallic vibrating grinding noise. My local mechanic welded some stuff and replaced the starter to the tune of 1000$ and still there. Because it only happens when cold probably hard to diagnose. So I left it in the hands of my brother for a week who is a lifelong Honda mechanic and the verdict was as follows: It is the variable valve timing actuator leaking oil while the engine is off and when engine restarts actuator makes a noise till it is recharged with oil pressure. Once oil charge is restored engine operates normally. My bro says Honda put out a notice on it a few years back. It is an expensive fix,1100$, but so they say not damaging to the car. Not great for trade in value! My bro also said to go to a Honda mechanic in the first place. They are more expensive seemingly, but not really in the end.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So here’s the update. I have a local shop here not a dealership. I showed him the TSB on the VCT actuator. We talked it over and thought it would be worthwhile replacing the timing chain, tensioners and guides along with the VCT actuator. Got the parts from Rock Auto dot com saved a bunch. The VCT actuator looks like a gear. It was a Honda part which I thought was weird. It wasn’t advertised as such. Anyway 200 something in parts and 440 in labor and zero grinding upon start. The TSB at the dealer is $1200 and that’s not replacing the timing chain, guides and tensioner. It’s been a couple weeks and no grinding! I probably wouldn’t of had to replace timing chain and guides/tensioner. The VCT Actuator was definitely the culprit.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
If it was the starter solenoid wouldn’t it happen on every start instead of just on cold start?
Actually, no. I've replaced many that only did it when cold. Eventually, yes, left untended, it would eventually do it at every start, but after you've had to replace a couple of ring gears you learn not to delay the job. Also you don't have to replace the whole starter when the issue is just the solenoid. I've seen a good starter outlast several solenoids.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
So here’s the update. I have a local shop here not a dealership. I showed him the TSB on the VCT actuator. We talked it over and thought it would be worthwhile replacing the timing chain, tensioners and guides along with the VCT actuator. Got the parts from Rock Auto dot com saved a bunch. The VCT actuator looks like a gear. It was a Honda part which I thought was weird. It wasn’t advertised as such. Anyway 200 something in parts and 440 in labor and zero grinding upon start. The TSB at the dealer is $1200 and that’s not replacing the timing chain, guides and tensioner. It’s been a couple weeks and no grinding! I probably wouldn’t of had to replace timing chain and guides/tensioner. The VCT Actuator was definitely the culprit.
Does that TSB apply to all Gen3's or just the 2010 and 2011 ones? Ouch! Based on that cost, I guess if this happens to my '07 I'll have to do the job myself. And if so, I'd go ahead and replace the chain and tensioner parts while in there, and possibly the water pump, too. I wouldn't want to have to go in there but once.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
The VTC actuator is a problem in all the K24 series engines I've been reading about--I'm shopping for an Acura TSX for my youngest (both generations) as well as the 4-cylinder Accords, and a lot of these cars end up having that startup clatter. And it is not something to be ignoring either, as it can mess up the timing chain in the engine, so it is a good move to take care of the timing chain while it is apart. I will do the same if I have that problem on any of ours.

Reactions: kloker

·
Registered
491 Posts

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Good to know. I imagine the 2nd gen TSX will have a TSB, but I'm about to check the first gen, since its range was from 2004 to 2008. This might also apply to 2008+ Accords.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts